The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:11:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new way to fly.  (Read 1810 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »

WANT: http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-01/how-d-dalus-flies-nothing-else

Gotta be one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

Looks a tad dangerous...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »

Only for the goons at the other end of a rocket launcher hanging from the bottom of it. Remote control bad guy zapper. Love it.

But the reason I really like it is the extremely novel way they worked through lift and control. Really well done. Extremely elegant IMO.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:46 AM »

I just saw one of these fly by my window.

spooky huh?

I think we have drones this size or smaller, but this one is quiet,
accurate, and stable when hovering.

Fascinating, but why did they build it?  Just for the fun of it?

To get attention?

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:00:37 AM »

Last year, the Austrian engineering firm IAT21 set out to construct a flying machine that floated like a hummingbird, traveled as fast as a jet, was as quiet as a hot-air balloon, and was simple enough that a car mechanic could repair it. The company’s working prototype, called D-Dalus, is roughly five feet by three feet square and can lift about 100 pounds. But the size and lift are not what’s most impressive. A flying machine with no airfoil, rotor or jet propulsion can travel where most cannot: in very tight spaces and through terrible weather.
I think if you're an engineering firm that's looking to differentiate, this would be a helluva a way to do it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript