The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shared hosting permission problems  (Read 4749 times)
dink
Expert

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »

A continuance from another support thread (which I made more confusing than needed done).

I'm trying to make this new ide fly on a shared host with cPanel.

Perk, I can use the phpMyide command prompt to do just about all of the requirements from your 'how to' post in the announcements forum.

One that I cannot do is create the needed database phptest.  I get an error response like so:

Access denied for user 'dink'@'localhost' to database 'phptest'

In the other support thread you mentioned that you thought a command like 'create database' would require 'super' user status.  Since I can do that via cPanel, there ought to be a way for the ide to allow it.

I'll continue to search for an answer as well.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:16:23 AM »

i have a feeling most shared hosting environments are going to be no-joy for this because of the permissions requirements. For example on Mosso, I cant make SPs. The permissions are very strict. I am going to see about getting elevated perms or at least SP perms. But I think with most hosts, that will never happen.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:37:38 AM »

Since I can do that via cPanel, there ought to be a way for the ide to allow it.

It is possible that creating a DB in cpanel *looks* like it is happening under the user dink, but in may in fact be happening via another user account specifically to lock down permissions in a way that is more manageable for them. Although I don't know this at all, it makes sense if you can't simply do a create database from the command line that the user DINK doesn't have what it takes to do that naturally in MySQL.

It sounds as though I need to bump the "don't require phpmyide" portion of my todo up a bit - my intention is to make it so that you provide a database name and a prefix, much like WP and SMF - where you DO have permissions. That'd kill this problem dead.

I'll take a look today and see what it takes to get that done for you my friend.

TTYL,
/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »

i have a feeling most shared hosting environments are going to be no-joy for this because of the permissions requirements. For example on Mosso, I cant make SPs. The permissions are very strict. I am going to see about getting elevated perms or at least SP perms. But I think with most hosts, that will never happen.

I think you're pretty much right, although it is more an issue of ignorance than strictly security - CRUD with SPs, functions and views is not a dangerous addition at all because the stored code can only execute what <your user account> can do. Triggers seem to be a bit different - I think you need more to attach them, and if you have that privilege, you can do it to any database/table.

As the user base goes up, I'm sure we'll find out.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »

You guys may be exactly right. 

I can install this ide on a system where I do have root privileges, but you guys have that end covered.  And, I could avoid the current perms problem by requesting that I be allowed a 'jailed' shell on my shared hosting.

That would void what I am/was trying to make happen: Allow the 1.312 x 10^21 webmasters with mySql on shared hosting the opportunity to take advantage of SP's.

Way far too many of the smaller hosts would not allow the jailed shell.  A large percentage of the affected webmasters wouldn't know that (some) hosts do allow a jailed shell.

I think it's a worthy battle.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
manilodisan
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »

The only host I found so far to support mysql triggers on shared packages is at placehost.net. I hope more will come. This is probably because hosting providers wait for plesk or cpanel to support such versions of PHP/MySql and those two are moving slower than anything else. PHP 5.2.9 came out recently and a lot of bugs were fixed yet nor cpanel or plesk supports this version. Mysql releases 5.4 soon so triggers will no longer need the super user privilege to be added, but, as always, how much time will the control panels need to support it?

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 01:51:28 PM »

Nice follow up and wrap, Manilo. Welcome to The Cache.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript