The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:38:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controlled access when phpmyide is on web accessible server  (Read 4163 times)
dbdog
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »

Hey Perk, per our discussions over barley soda...

Perhaps a user id/password login??

Actually right now I do have to log into phpmyadmin first.

I did put this line in index.php at the top so only my workstation can use it:

if (getenv("REMOTE_ADDR") <> '192.168.168.1') exit;

Not sure if this is hackable...
User would still have to guess my phpmyadmin password and use the non-standard
port number I used for the app...

ARF
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:28:06 PM »

You can also use HTTP authorization for that particular directory, or use a simple authentication scheme. You can find many quick, simple, and (relatively) secure simple authentication mechanisms ready to plug into just about any PHP code with a google search for them.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »

I getcha boys... yes DBD, excellent idea.

Simple authentication is no sweat, and I could even offer something like what you're doing there DBD - if you really want to lock down, then only return to a specific address. That's <a little> spoofable, but that's pretty tough and if someone didn't know your address then it'd be rough to duplicate. That, putting it on a non-standard port, HTTPSing it and forcing a password is just about as secure as you're gonna get.

Thanks for the idears,

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »

if you make it IP specific, then make sure you do that through a file, not the db. because I know my IP changes every once in while.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:59:03 PM »

10-4

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »

for some reason I never actually finished my thought... The reason this matters, is if you cant login to change your IP, because your IP is now different, your locked out. Kinda like accidentally changing firewall settings to block your terminalservice port, when you are only able to set the fire wall from the remote computer inside the firewall... not that I've done that before of course...  D'oh!

i figure you new this, just making sure.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »

Kinda like accidentally changing firewall settings to block your terminalservice port, when you are only able to set the fire wall from the remote computer inside the firewall... not that I've done that before of course...  D'oh!

I have no idea what you mean  Roll Eyes

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »

That is a total tail-between-the-legs call to tech support. I feel like such a tard when it happens. usually because I changed the port to something non-standard, but forgot that I did that.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »

Since it's all my own rack, I can either embarrass myself to the ISP owners or go handle things myself. Usually in the interest of my self esteem I claim "minor updates" as I ask for entrance to the server room  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript