The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 06:04:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a note in INSTALL and a wish  (Read 2783 times)
mk
n00b

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »

First, many thanks for your execellent tool! MySQL is in urgent need of a Web interface to manage SPs, and phpMyIDE seems to be the first project to fulfill this need. (I would like it even more if it were an extension to phpMyAdmin, but I won't mind using phpMyAdmin in a separate window or embedded in phpMyIDE.)

My comments:

- INSTALL does not mention that you have to create the database phpmyide in advance.

- The command prompt opens a new connection to the MySQL server for each command. This makes it impossible to access variables or temporary tables -- and both is quite useful to test SPs. But I guess this is impossible to solve while using mysqli. (The way to get around this limitation is of course to input all commands in one sequence separated by ; )

mod: fixed the stupid semicolon to not be a smiley lol.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:24:57 AM by nutballs » Logged

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »

Greetings MK, thanks for using the tool and welcome to The Cache.

My bad I'm sure - I thought I had a note about running buildsql in the install, but I'll look it over next week when I am available to it again.

At the command prompt - try this as a workaround, it's what I do: go to the editor, open a new scratchpad (click on the "new" icon next to the scratchpads header) then enter your SQL there with a semi colon. The copy/paste it into the command prompt and you'll get what you are looking for.

One of the problems for me was "What to do with the Enter key" - when I press enter/return the default behavior should be to execute what I just typed, because that feels most "promptlike" - but I get you, that if what you really want to do is have many commands running in a single connection it'd be nice to enter them all without the above mentioned workaround and just get it done.

Their is another issue with persistent connections that I have an idea about, but have to work out. It has to do with creating a sort of "pseudo-daemon" running on the server where a connection can be persistent and give you REALLY what it is you are asking... but I have a lot to think about before trying that.

Once again, thanks for your comments and please let me know when you have other great thoughts and ideas.

Best,
/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript