The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 01:10:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: xml feed link builder  (Read 11711 times)
esrun
Rookie

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:40:57 PM »

I posted this on the blog earlier but thought I'd throw it up on here for those that don't see...

------------------------------
People have been gaining links out of false xml feeds for a long long time but itís only recently that it has been so publicly discussed on blogs and in forums.

The basic idea is that you generate XML feeds with auto generated content and have each story within the feed link to a site you wish to generate links for. Once the feed has been created and you ping blog search engines like technorati then the idea is that scraper sites will pick up your feed and then link to the site listed as the author within the feed. This is obviously a very simple explanation but there are hundreds of people talking about it right now so I donít think I need to go into too much detail.

I have updated one of my tools to be a bit prettier looking and put it into the scripts area. So go check the http://www.onlinehoster.com/blog/xml-feeds-link-builder/ out.
------------------------------
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »

Mods note: Link OKd

/perk

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
esrun
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »

I would post the source straight here but its like 32 files or something lol. It could be useful having this thread here for pesky members to discuss/advance Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:10:41 PM »

Esrun - why don't you attach the zip you have at your site to a post here, so folks can download it straight away?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
esrun
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:48:23 AM »

I could do.. the main problem is like when DITY was popular on syndk8 people would download an old version from the forum whereas I can keep an upto date version on my website which means people always get the most recent version.
dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:06:41 AM »

Esrun, this is great stuff.  (I can't call it a script or an ap, so for me it has to be a package.)

I've been needing a new method of getting links.  This looks like it will do the job.  I've only looked at about half of the files, but it looks to be easy enough to modify.  Have to fire it up and see what can happen.

Thanks much.   Applause

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 09:53:05 AM »

I could do.. the main problem is like when DITY was popular on syndk8 people would download an old version from the forum whereas I can keep an upto date version on my website which means people always get the most recent version.

It's fine with me if you want to place the download link to the real file at your site on the cache here... you could place it in the code repository if you wish, which may be most appropriate. Make the link point symbolically to the most current version of it, so that downloads from here will always get the right file.

Or not, if you'd rather not  ROFLMAO no pressure

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 04:23:17 AM »

Hey Esrun

Thanks for the link builder.Looks great for a noob like me. Im trying to experiment with it...however i cant get it to work.Loads fine and i can scrape keywords etc.Whenever i go to write to db however it doesnt seem to store anything ie it wont save keyword sets or anything.Theres also nothing if i go to list ping or advert url . Any ideas?

Ta .
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »

D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!

scratch that.... i am a tard. I went back and double checked everything. I hadnt saved the sql import. Forgive me, i am new at this and i suck at it so far...

hey ho. Maybe one day i wont suck at it.Woo hoo !
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:30:39 AM »

mm...ok...sorry.. tard here again

So its up and running ,can scrape,add keylist and feeds.Unfortunately whenever i go to look at feed (by clicking link in list feeds window after update) i get 404 saying:

Not Found
The requested URL /processxml.php was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

processxml is in same folder as everything else? me no understand. Incidently i notice the url for this is:

ht*P://domain/rss/feeds/4.xml

the files are all in rss folder but there is no sub folder call feeds.Should i make one? There are also no xml files been written anywhere. Or is that my noobness shining through?

Appreciate any help

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 06:31:55 AM »

777 your directories. or at least 700 them.

hai
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 07:50:47 AM »

I already did...still nuffink ! Do you think its anything to do with hosting account? its a gdaddy?

cheers
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:00:41 AM »

processxml is in same folder as everything else? me no understand.

... so if you place a simple HelloWorld file in that directory (ie., '<html><body>Hello World</body></html>') and call it from a browser then you can see the file, but if you call processxml.php (and it is fersure in that directory) the server doesn't find it? Is there a .htaccess in that directory doing something funny?

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:07:42 AM »

aaah...perkiset ! My fellow gear slut. Hope your well.

html is fine.... there is a htaccess:

Options +FollowSymlinks
rewriteengine on
Rewriterule feeds/(.+)\.xml$ /processxml.php?id=$1
Rewriterule feeds/(.+)\.html$ /processhtml.php?id=$1

Its the one that comes with the code.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »

An interesting thing about that rewrite is that the left side (feeds/) is a relative URL but it rewrites to the document root directive with /processxml.php - I think the problem lives in there somewhere. Have you tried all of this as the root dir of a domain? If you're using domain.com/dir/dir/something.xml and have processxml in that directory this won't work - processxml.php must be in the root directory of that virtual host for this to work I think, based on the rewrite directive

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript