The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Symlinks  (Read 2987 times)
maggiemae
Rookie

View Profile
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:14:27 PM »

I've been looking for info on symkinks without much success so thought I would ask here

I want to put a program in local cpanel.  Then I want to connect to subdomains pointed to

sub directories/directories.    To do that I need to put a configs file in a directory of

the local program.

prog2/configs

example - cPanel user = mae
              program = prog2
              subdomain = dogs/pages  (www.dogs.com pointed to dogs.mainurl.com)
              file = config.dogs.php/pages?  is it necessary to specify individual subsdirectories of dogs?

this is where I get a little fuzzy because I am not sure what to put where

-s/mae/local/prog2/configs/config.dogs/pages/public_html/config.inc.php
-s/mae/local/prog2/index.php/home/dogs/pages/public_html/index.php

1. Is the above even close to being correct?

2 each of the add on domains has its own user name, do I use that or do I use the main

cPanel user name?

3. Is is correct that I have to have a file like config.dogs/pages for every add on sub

domain and or directory.  If I add say 10 directories under dogs, would I have to add a

symlink file for each directory or just config dogs.

Really would appreciate any help and yes, I'll start posting some pictures.  I'm going to walk down to the beach tomorrow and take some pictures of mass camping and etc.

Maggie

Maggie
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 01:33:25 PM »

Maggie -

I apologize, perhaps it's just Friday, or that we've started happy hour a little early, but I am not entirely clear on what you are asking. By way of a tiptoe into your needs, I thought I'd outline how I use synlinks for my sites when I want to use the same file all the time for a variety of applications.

Consider: I have dozens of back office web apps I've written for my clients. Each of them may use my eblaster, or my list manager, or my contact manager etc etc, and I don't want to use static files - I want it all coming from one place so if I patch something, everyone gets the benefit of the work.

So, I have a directory called /www/sites/00MasterFiles which contains things like:
listManager.php
ajax_listManager.php

and I want to use them in another site. I have a site, called perkiset, for example (clever that, eh?) I and put my stuff like this:

/www/sites/perkiset/ [ everything goes here]

so while in that directory, I'll type:
ln -s /www/sites/00MasterFiles/listManager.php .
ln -s /www/sites.00MasterFiles/ajax_listManager.php .

and I'll then have symbolic links to the master files that Apache will read and distribute just as if they were actual files right in that dir.

I apologize if this is a completely condescending post and if you are a million miles past this.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
maggiemae
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »

Thank you /p and Happy Sunday or Easter if you celebrate it.  Please don't ever apologize,  I should be paying you for your time.  I am almost to the point where I want to ask for a paid install.  I really should learn how to understand it.  My daughter has a very successful business and wants to add a store to her existing company website and I would like to be able to set up a lot of external sites linking to her store.

Will this work with files in home/local directory like so:

config.domain.php:
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/admin.php
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/articles
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/index.php
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/template
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/hooks

Will this also work with subdomains?

I downloaded WAMP and I am totally confused about how to use it.  I have even thought of upgrading to a resellers a/c at hostgator to play with symlinks.  Most on other forum seem to place files in local folders so spiders can't find them.  I have a smattering of php/CSS and lots of tutorials so I don't think I'll have a prob. with that but structure and  setup are a challenge for me.  I am guessing that you probably know what program I am working with by now.
Maggie

Maggie
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »

Thank you /p and Happy Sunday or Easter if you celebrate it.  Please don't ever apologize,  I should be paying you for your time.  I am almost to the point where I want to ask for a paid install.  I really should learn how to understand it.
With what you're getting into, the faster you learn the better. I've done this many times in the past - pay for something and watch how it's done, then use that as my lesson. It's a really inexpensive way to gather the skills you're going to need.

My daughter has a very successful business and wants to add a store to her existing company website and I would like to be able to set up a lot of external sites linking to her store.
Are you also talking SEO here? You're trying to attract other people to link to her store? Perhaps an excellent place for you to start would be a membership at webmasterworld.com - you can go browse the boards for free, but to post I think it's a membership fee (don't remember).

Will this work with files in home/local directory like so:

config.domain.php:
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/admin.php
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/articles
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/index.php
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/template
-s www/domain/local/masterfile/hooks

Will this also work with subdomains?
Back to symbolic linking - you can link subdirectories - but your question, subdomains is really confusing - I'm concerned that you're blending different topics together here and getting into trouble...

I downloaded WAMP and I am totally confused about how to use it.  I have even thought of upgrading to a resellers a/c at hostgator to play with symlinks.  Most on other forum seem to place files in local folders so spiders can't find them.  I have a smattering of php/CSS and lots of tutorials so I don't think I'll have a prob. with that but structure and  setup are a challenge for me.  I am guessing that you probably know what program I am working with by now.
Maggie
Maggie a (traditional) website is simply a set of files in a directory. The webserver is told to look for files in that directory, and when you see path/path/afile.html it means that the file is down that directory tree. In some ways, WAMP is cool because it wraps up the tools you need for a dynamic website into a (somewhat) easy package... in another, it's bad because it keeps you from understanding how things really work.

I have to run out so I can't go any further ATM, hopefully others will chime in and help you along the way...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
maggiemae
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:50:55 PM »

Hi All, Trust you all had good weekend. Thanks for all the responses.  It was quieter here than usual as Easter was so early.  Still had one really dusty day.  All the kids from the Mexican Universities will arrive on Wednesday or so and it will be party time all over again.

I have been looking at Apache tutorials when i should be finding really neat hooks to put in my websites and finding related affiliate programs.

I can help my daughter with SEO, but not with programming, she has pros for that.  They have branches and have developed their own line of products which they sell from Medi-spas & Medically Supervised Weight Loss Programs.  She has been waiting to get all products developed and I recommended that she get the store built plus an eBay.ca store by her guys.   Also recommended that they build a store plug-in.  She can always add more products.   

What I want to do at its most basic is generate a lot of websites, and locate them in subdomains/sitemap/multiple pages focused on keywords.  This is sort of gray hat.  I will have pretty good but simple sites with relatively good content. I enjoy this part. (I have one Google ranked 8 site now, but it's in a highly competitive area so income not great). The program to do this would be in the local folder beneath public_html, and that is where the symlinks come in.

I also do some blogging and pinging, but not aggressively.  Have blog programs to blog & ping every few days.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind getting a quote for an install if the installer could also detail precisely what/where/how to configure files in subdomain directories so then I could add as many as I wished.

I want to get back to what I like, photoshopping headers and putting together simple websites.

Maggie Smiley

Maggie
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »

got and responded to your PM Madge...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript