The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 01:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: so what's the deal with php5 ?  (Read 2377 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »

In my digging around in php scripts and classes i'm seeing what seems like more than the usual failures due to php5 upgrades.  Is php5 causing a lot of rewrites in your large custom stuff?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:26:53 PM by perkiset » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »

What version are you trying to install? Since I went 5.2 (about a year ago, I think) I've not had any troubles at all. 5.0 was limited, 5.1 was a Charlie Foxtrot.

What kind of problems are you having?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 02:07:55 PM »

Yesterday a private forum that's been running for about 6 years went belly-up when the host went to php5.  Just prior to that, when trying out a php template engine I noticed the download had both a php4 and php5 version.  I also ran into it in some other php script research recently, but forget exactly where I saw it that time.  Before I have my own server changed to php5, I was wondering where the larger issues might lie ...or if it was going to be a host of little devils to find.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »

For the vast, vast majority of times there should be no issue going from 4 to 5. The problems will lie in configuration, php.ini, installed modules and lastly there *can* be some problems with changes in the way globals are handled - although I don't have details on me, there are some types of variables that were automatically global in past versions are no longer (it was a security issue) - this behavior can be undone with the php.ini, however it is strongly suggested that this never be done.

Unfortunately, you probably don't have a phpInfo() printout of the way php was running on the box before they upgraded, so it will be difficult to tell what has changed. you can still do a phpinfo() and print it out to see if something sticks out though, and were it my issue, that's the first place I'd go.

Second, I'd jump into the code of the board and put an error_reporting(E_ALL) right at the top and make sure that it spit out all troubles so that I can begin to ascertain what's missing (I'd bet it's a missing module problem, not a programmatic/language issue) ... if you don't see anything, then make the first line of the program die('made it here'); and see if even that is running - if it's not then there's a compilation problem or some sort.

Yikes man, good luck. Ping back with symptoms, I'll help where I can.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »

>globals

such as:
variable name "$this" now reserved

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »

Uh, PHP5 is so incredibly ancient at this point that I can't believe there are still sites running PHP4.

Anything setup within the past several years should be running on PHP5, and the only thing I could see causing conflicts would be really really outdated (read: unmaintained) third party software.

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 02:56:20 PM »

>ancient

long story made short, vs. host was sold to another host. month later they up the accounts to php5

>(read: unmaintained) third party software.

Yeah, exactly.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript