The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Source Self Hosted Web Analytics  (Read 5546 times)
arms
Expert

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2008, 02:36:09 PM »

just found this and i thought i'd share it with you flamers:

piwik.org

it's an alternative to google analytics. open source & self hosted. php + mysql.
anyone try this? it looks nice.

i will experiment on myself and report back.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 02:37:25 PM »

Indeed, I have checked this out.

It's a good package, and real-time.

I'm waiting for him to re-integrate the click heatmap and I will give it a go myself.

hai
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:57:29 PM »

it was easy to install, took like 3 minutes. i am happy.
didn't want to use google, didn't want to pay, & didn't want to code my own.
it also looks like you can add multiple sites.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 04:46:23 PM »

I'm really interested Arms... just about ready to code my own, yet again.

Looking forward to hearing your experience, because I'd sure like to avoid building another telemetry package...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 09:01:45 PM »

the only thing i see could be a problem is it doesn't yet prune records so they add up if you don't delete them.
it's self hosted so i guess performance is dictated by the machine you run it on.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:04:23 PM »

Well pruning is relatively easy of course... do you know if it use the GD engine for charts?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »

my biggest issue is JS tacking. its a footprint, and it only tracks users, not bots.

does it have the ability to do serverside tracking?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »

You could make the "pop" happen FROM the server when the page was pulled in an all-dynamic page make up like yours NBs, rather than putting the pull anywhere near the client

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 10:38:17 PM »

oh true, duh. Just send the stuff expected by the receiving php file.  D'oh!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 07:33:56 AM »

i don't know what it uses for the charts. they just look pretty.

i don't think the project has blackhats in mind Undecided but there is some kind of plugin system, so maybe in some people's case writing a plugin might be a shorter route than coding a whole tracking system.

serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:04:25 PM »

in the Piwik requirements

"To make the most out of Piwik, you would also need the PHP GD extension: it is used to generate the sparklines (small graphs) in Piwik."

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »

indeed... I saw that later sN00b, thanks

serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 09:10:34 PM »

no prob, would you care to develop the logic on
You could make the "pop" happen FROM the server when the page was pulled in an all-dynamic page make up like yours NBs, rather than putting the pull anywhere near the client
?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:31:40 PM »

Well, as I understand it, the PIWIK code relies on a code in the HTML that pulls a graphic or JS from another server, where the telemetry and tracking data is aggregated. This is handy and puts the time and load on the client, but it can be emulated from the server so that the client never knows what you are up to.

There are at least two ways to do this. One is to emulate the "web pull" that would occur at the client from the server ie., create a web request yourself (the server script) that sends the same tracking/telemetry data up to the server that is doing your analytics. This could be done with cURL, webRequest, file_get_contents - you name it. This would be a perfect solution if you have several servers and all your tracking is done from a different location.

The much more efficient method would be to look at the PIWIK code and see what's added to the database when a request is tossed at it, and emulate it. In other words, the PIWIK code is really simply distilling the code into elements to drop into a database, do the same thing from your own code and use the PIWIK framework for reporting. Not tough, but would take a little bit of research.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript