The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:46:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Macintosh and PHP  (Read 11319 times)
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2007, 08:13:25 AM »

I see some macintosh prompts in the forum,
what php server/package/blahblah should i
install on the macintosh so i can read along
at home?

nOOb wOOt

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »

Assuming you are on OS-X, just download the source and compile/make it (I can help you here...) however if you google PHP OS-X there is a guy who did this already and it's all done for you. I'll comment more when I am opn a reliable network

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:53:12 AM »

I'd recommend installing a special package for OS-X called Linux. More specifically, LAMP.

hai
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 11:58:26 AM »

Lol, yeah linux rulz...  Okay you mean install linux on a mac instead of os-x
or does it actually get emulated like wine or what?

So which linux distro do you favor i just spent the xmas holiday installing/uninstalling
all the latest and fedora 8  made me learn LILO/GRUB the hard way, favorite
was Ubuntu 7.10 (the gnome desktop looked like os-x sorta with animations)  followed by opensuse 10.3..
 honorable mention: Knoppix 5.1.1

Still wanna room full of pentiums and 20 copies of clusterknoppix....
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 12:34:12 PM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 12:32:08 PM »

I'd recommend installing a special package for OS-X called Linux. More specifically, LAMP.

Don't listen to VS, he suffers from terminal Mac envy and OS-X denial. It's really rather sad  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:29:25 AM »

I'm not sure if you can install linux successfully on a Mac. I heard you can do XP with bootcamp or something? Not sure about linux though, I was just yanking your crank. Probably you could do it with a virtual machine though.

I never run into the problem of where to install Linux because I have a plethora of ancient machines lying around.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »

No you are correct VS - you can dump OS-X completely and load virtually any variant of *nix on the box instead, although I would see this as the worst of all worlds since the drivers for it would clearly be fewer than any number of clone machines. Under the hood it's a pretty straight up Intel box now, which is why BootCamp even works.

But I think the Parallels or VMWare option would be better if you really need Linux... although since it's all Unix/Mach I don't know why you'd need a different kernel at all - I find it wonderfully stable and pretty damn standard (from a config/make/install perspective)

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 06:26:32 PM »

Recently I got a macbook
Got rid of the shitty OSX Tongue
Installed ubuntu on it.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosa
with a little bit of tweaking u can get the backlite,keyboard lite, wireless up and going.
supposedly u can get the remote thingie going too but i never bother.

Used to use vmware, but for shits and giggles decided to try http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/innotek (i am not sure who recomend that i forget).
It seems to run alot quicker then vmware, and also has advantage u do not need to compile kernel drivers, which is pain in ass since every time kernel undate ......
Cool part about virtualbox is that you can hide the desktop. So that way your windows apps appear to be native ones Smiley.
One think to beware about on macbook it does not have a right ctrl key, (which is used to jump in and out of virtualbook, so before u start it up makesure u remap it)

Same ole crap with virtualbox as vmware u can map virtual drives onto your linux mounts.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 09:15:17 PM »

ubuntu rulz..

mac fedora 8 too:

http://tofu.org/drupal/node/29

esrun
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:43:44 AM »

Paying the overpriced rate for a macbook and then installing ubuntu on it seems madness to me lol!

I use MAMP from http://www.living-e.de/en/index.php which works perfect in OS  X auto installing and managing php, apache, mysql
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 06:23:48 AM »

Yeah half of the price of a Mac is the proprietary hardware and software licenses. If I were just going to install Ubuntu, I'd get it from one of those companies that sells laptops with the latest distro pre-installed so I know I don't have to fuss with drivers and can get right down to pwning the intarwebz.

hai
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 07:22:18 AM »

So is ubuntu your flavor of linux choice?
i have ubuntu 7.10 and love it ...

today i am installing the latest centOS
as it is supposedly 100% binary compatible
with red hat?  Trying to gear up for that
kylix walkthrough.

vs: what are you running now?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 07:27:06 AM by jammaster82 » Logged

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:31:32 AM »

Depends on the day lol.

All my servers are FC6. I have Ubuntu, Gentoo, and Slackware on various desktops at home. I don't often use a GUI (get enough of it from the windoze boxes @work and my laptop), but when I do it's usually Gnome or Compiz Fusion.

hai
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 07:57:04 AM »

nice, maybe i can hit you up when i get stuck on some
sudo and etc/fstab/papercut/fleshwound stuff...

i couldnt get skype to install on openSuse for the death
of me, although that is gui as well...

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 08:08:29 AM »

Well I must confess that I'm a fan of Yum or apt-get for installations. Otherwise I typically try to find someone who has all the dependencies laid out for me so I can just compile all the necessary prerequisites. One thing I detest is unnecessarily bloated servers.

hai
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript