The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 01:47:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for a tutorial  (Read 3376 times)
blake_jl
Rookie

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2008, 02:47:12 PM »

Hi there,

I want to create something like you see on this page zdocn.com/Your-Paint

I can't code PHP, what I usually do is look at the source code and play around with it and figure out how it works. This way I can edit it to make it work for me, I just can't write a page from scratch.

There is no reference to a PHP file in the source code of the page above, so I can't do what I described above.

I would like it if someone could point me to a tutorial related to the above. I also tried to do this myself, but because I don't know how it works, I don't know where to start.

Thanks

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:16:31 PM »

I want to create something like you see on this page zdocn.com/Your-Paint

I can't code PHP, what I usually do is look at the source code and play around with it and figure out how it works. This way I can edit it to make it work for me, I just can't write a page from scratch.
Eeek. Tall order to just "do it" - this is a coding job. It's not just about the language, it's about understanding how to create a web application - a small one, to be sure, but a web app nonetheless. It'd be like saying that if you know how to ask where the toilet is in Spanish, then you know how to write a book in Spanish. Even if you could functionally piece together all the words, it's not going to come out right.

There is no reference to a PHP file in the source code of the page above, so I can't do what I described above.
There wouldn't be, because tutorials will want to point you towards exercising the elements of the language you need to know when learning to program, not how specifically to build an app.

What you really need is "PHP 5 / MySQL Programming for the Absolute Beginner" (Andy Harris, Premier Press) which will take you from step 1 to .. well, closer to where you want to go than where you are. You need to understand a lot more basics before you tackle this.

See it here: http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Programming-Absolute-Beginner/dp/1592004946/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206915200&sr=8-2

(no, not an affiliate link, just a handy jumper)

But here's the good news: Unlike many people that "Just want to learn to program" you have a goal - this is a sorely lacking element of most people's knowledge. They learn some basics of the language and then go nowhere because there was no reason to learn it. If you have a goal, and a reference/tutorial to help you learn how to code, then a brilliant online resource to get questions as you go along (yes, I am referring to my board  ROFLMAO ) then you will get along quite quickly.

Good luck! It's a great ride.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
blake_jl
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:49:01 PM »

Thanks for that,

I suspected I would have to start from scratch. Ill get that book.

Noted that George W no longer makes an appearance on your avatar.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 08:42:52 PM »

He's been usurped by Bush III, John McInsane. No idea how he'll fare in the coming elections, personally I hope he is defeated in an unprecedented landslide. But the comedy will sure be better if he's the one...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
blake_jl
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »

ROFLMAO

svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »

perk, you're so damned lighthearted about it all

/admire

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

Smoke and mirrors, mate. I'm actually despondent about the state of my country and intelligence of my countrymen.  Cry

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript