The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:37:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to get $_SESSION of remote server ?  (Read 3145 times)
netmktg
Rookie

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2008, 10:54:45 PM »

This will sound naive...since $_SESSION is part of the server memory, but is it possible to somehow get access to this on a remote server just by using the value of PHPSESSID?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:34:27 PM »

man I have no idea what you are asking.

Are you thinking you can somehow get access to a $_SERVER variable from a remote machine? The $_SERVER variable is simply a super global that is created for you (as a PHP script) when <your> instance is working through a script and creating a page. It's not something that you can interrogate from outside.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
netmktg
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 05:00:04 AM »

Yep, that's exactly what I was asking !!  (http://us3.php.net/session)

I was wondering if there was some covert means which I wasn't aware of .
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »

Why would there be? The client machine knows everything it would ever want to know and more about the current session.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »

Huh?

I would assume that NetM is looking for information that would be specifically in the $_SESSION variable, not cookies/post values etc that would be extended out to the client... and in that case, I'm unaware of any way of forcing a server to puke up the data for you on command...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
netmktg
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 03:07:44 AM »

Why would there be? The client machine knows everything it would ever want to know and more about the current session.

The client machine doesn't know the value of $_SESSION['captcha_code']   Tongue

Huh?
I would assume that NetM is looking for information that would be specifically in the $_SESSION variable, not cookies/post values etc that would be extended out to the client... and in that case, I'm unaware of any way of forcing a server to puke up the data for you on command...

Yea, Perk...my query was confusing but you did get it right... the client maching does have access to the PHPSESSID and the Cookie...which the server sends to the client. But I was hopeful of accessing all custom vars in $_SESSION. Yes, it would be a big security flaw, but that's what we are all hopeful for  ROFLMAO
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:57:10 AM »

Aha! Now knowing what you're looking for, I can tell you unequivocally that it's behind a wall and you'll not be able to scale it.

Sorry man.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:48 AM »

I also doubt that the captcha code is stored in session.

You have everything you need to figure it out though, the hash.

hai
netmktg
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:50:50 AM »

I also doubt that the captcha code is stored in session.

You have everything you need to figure it out though, the hash.

I was looking at a WP Captcha plugin and it stores the Captcha in $_SESSION and no hash is included alongwith the Captcha img. So, this particular implementation depends solely on the $_SESSION array. No other value is posted alongwith with the Captcha; in addition to scanning the page html I also checked the post request in FF
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript