The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 02:52:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to stop youtube video going to youtube when clicked?  (Read 4724 times)
patch
Rookie

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:23 AM »

Hi,

Not sure if this should be here or in the javascript forum ... but here goes...

I wonder if there is a way to do this:

I've got a wordpress blog with embedded youtube videos. When a visitor clicks the video it starts to play - so far so good.

If the visitor clicks on the video again, a new window opens and the visitor gets taken to the video page on youtube.

So, question is, is there a way to either stop the new window opening and the visitor begin taken away from my site or even to interrupt that process and redirect to another site of my choice or simply cancel that request?

Cheers,
Mark
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »

I haven't done this myself but you could try to wrap youtube code around div and then make a script that allows 1 click but after executes void(0); or something when trying to click in that div. Now I have no idea if this actually works and I can think of few things that might prevent it from working but it was the first thing that came to mind Wink

*edit* Yeah and with that suggestion you effectively disable user from using player controls Cheesy But if you want to go hifi, you could just do "allowed click field" based on pixel coordinates and that way make the bottom 20px clickable and the rest you can click only once.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »

The code that comes down with the embedded controls that, you're not really going to be able to get in the way.

That said, if the video was z-indexed behind a transparent gif that covered the whole thing, and you trapped for clicks on that graphic (so that the event wouldn't bubble back up to the youtube vid) I believe you could effectively kill it. Never tried to z-index a TY vid behind something, but I don't see any reason why it can't be done (unless their code specifically tries to z-index it way way way out front...)

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
patch
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 08:29:32 AM »

Thanks guys,

I'll try to mess about with the z-index transparent gif way ...
KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »

i don't know if this is still the case but it used to be that flash vids were z-indexed above everything (Except iframes) and there wasn't anything you could do about it.  May not be the case anymore but i remember running into that problem with dhtml menus back in the day.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
mystyle
n00b

Lets Be`Connected!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

I saw this technique is still in use. I saw a site on the internet where you tube video is embedded  when user clicks on the video they are not redirected to the you tube sight but the video stops.This is the sight where you can see and download videos without redirecting to you tube the original site.Have a look on this site you could find the answer. www dot therockmission dot com/

Ah, and now we get to it Wink URL munged.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 09:40:22 PM by perkiset » Logged

No links in signatures please
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:02:52 PM »

i dont know javascript but perhpas you could hook the onstatechange event with
the youtube data api:

http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/js_api_reference.html#Adding_event_listener

oh if only i had time to play with this...

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript