The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:21:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference in redirect via htaccess and CNAME record.  (Read 2919 times)
tommytx
Expert

View Profile WWW
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:48 AM »

OK.. gang.. back with question of the day for the php/cname experts..
A popular idx sets up the idx on your subdomain by having you set the cname on the sub to their server... and they will not allow a sitemap to be placed on their server... so what is a body to do... what I am wondering is...
1. Would it work to use htaccess to redirect to the idx from the subdomain of my site.. vice redirecting the subdomain on my site via cname... that way  i could inject a site map like this..

Rewriterule /sitemap/ sitemap.xml [L]
Rewriterule (.*) idxdomain.com

So the way i see it every request would go to the idx as required with exception of the sitemap request.
But when I use CNAME as they request.. I have no way to inject the sitemap.xml as far as I can tell... is there anyway to program the linux to send a sitemap as I can with the rewriterule...

Would it be obvious to the idxdomain that it is being rewritten vice cnamed..
Any thoughts would be appreciate... if anyone thinks its possible to achieve this.. then I will give it a try..

Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:23:20 AM »

Hi,

The only workaround that I can think of atm would be frames.

FRAME1 SRC=subdomainontheirserver.com

FRAME2 SRC=yousitemaponyourserver.com

but I haven't really thought that out either

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
tommytx
Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:42:00 AM »

Thanks Bompa... but we all know that google will turn up his nose on the smell of any frame. And even if they did read it they would bury it.. an the part in the frame..."the sitemap" would not even get indexed...period..

Its easily done with the rewriterule.. just not sure if the idx provider will accept the redirect if its not from cname... however I am not sure they can tell the difference.. but guess the only way to find out will be to try it both ways...
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:04 PM »

Sorry Tommy, but I'm a bit outside on this one.

What is it about the .xml that the host will not let you serve?
Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand so I can think about options.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
tommytx
Expert

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »

Let me give you the real nitty gritty... live stuff... since it could be helpful for thousands of folks as Idx broker has at least 25,000 users and we all have the same problem.. first in an attempt to trick google into thinking the idx is on the site they have you do a cname to their server... apparently google has not figured it out yet since they will index the sub like a big dog.. and we know for sure if they realized the content was not on the sub.. just like when in frames they will ignore and not index it... however frequently 20,000+ pages get indexed....

So as we are all pretty sure if you can give google an xml site map.. they will accept it into the webmaster toolbox and index it like a big dog... however they will not accept an html sitemap as gospel.... just flat not allowed into the toolbox.. for indexing... we have never been able to get idxbroker to place an xml sitemap on their server.. even under the biggest battle...

So what is a body to do.. how can we get an xml site map in the hands of google since if you mail it they turn up thier nose... and if you put it on the main domain.. they won't accept it unless all the urls are main domain.. in other words no subdomain shit.. and that is the meat and potatoes.. tons of mls urls on the subdomain... (shhh.. which is really on idx broker domain...

So here is the deal how to feed google a shot of XML?  Well there is no doubt about it.. if we do the following it should work...
In the htaccess on the subdomain add the following..

RewriteRule /sitemap/ sitemap.xml [L]
Rewriterule  (*.) http://idx_broker_com

Now its clear that if the url has the word sitemap and it will with a url of sitemap.xml then all will be fed the sitemap.. both human and spider..
Next it clear that for everything else its a straight shot to the idxbroker idx...

So all seems to be well... maybe not... if I remove the cname sending the entire sub to idxbroker then will their systems know that... and will google realize that something is going on.. of course we won't send a 301 on the htaccess stuff or the cname stuff.

so is that as clear as mud.. or can you now see the light?

So last minute clarificattion... we are running a regular Wordpress website.. with a blog and some realestate information on the main domain and on the subdomain like listing.mydomain.com or idx.mydomain.com we are being directly forwarded to idxbroker for
the idx information...

However there is no way to get an approved sitemap to google since idxbroker will have none of it.. They do provide an html sitemap but google ain't gonna accept no html site map in the toolbox.

Added note to explain more clearly what I meant above by this (if I remove the cname sending the entire sub to idxbroker).

The instructions from idxbroker is that we must set up a cname record sending the whole shebang of our subdomain to them...
so by remove the cname I meant switch the forward to an htaccess ReWriteRule vice the cname....  would they know. would google know... since just like with the cname.. I would not be sending a 301... as you normally would.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:25:01 PM by tommytx » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript