The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: learning perl for threads..  (Read 3828 times)
itchy
Rookie

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:55:49 PM »

as i work on a windows/xampp system for the majority of my spam develpoment/tools i've run into the problem of threading php apps for greater efficiency. the problem is forking is not possible on win32 systems (i'd love to be corrected here!) so i've started looking at other languages. so far the shortlist has been whittled down to python or perl.
now perl seems the way to go as it has threaded support and a healthy module library a la LWP:Parallel, mech, etc and the language is readable for me coming from a php background plus i like the way you can use perl2exe to make nice standalone apps.
however i'm still reading mixed reports on thread stability. Any perl gurus got any thoughts on this? is the perl thread implementation stable and efficient?

No links in signatures please
dirk
Global Moderator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »

Hi itchy,

welcome to Perl!

(Just moved your thread to PERL Coding & Best Practices).

I'm running several Perl scripts on my local Windows PC
without any problems. But regarding forking I can't recommend
to run Perl scripts on Windows. I have checked it 2-3 years
ago and it was not stable.

Maybe it has changed in the meantime. Anyway, I'm running
my Perl scripts which need forking only on Linux systems.

Dirk
itchy
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »

thanx dirk. i was more getting at the threads module in perl (maybe called ithreads as well). has anyone tried this under windows. obviously i'd try it and see but this is maybe 3 weeks reading away...and i kinda need some opinions before really diving in. for starters though i'm well grounded in the perl basics but even say hybriding (is that a word?lol) mechanize for thread support is a way off. need to amend the class probably from the ground up or just write my own custom class.
basically i can write spiders in both perl and php but they run too slow due to the page load bottleneck and my only real option is to install a nix system on one of my laptops. then i lose my windows apps... Sad

edit: whoops sorry wrong section ,jeez gotta stop before breakfast didn't even see the discussion boards hahaha thats what the scroll bars for.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 11:06:24 PM by itchy » Logged

No links in signatures please
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:13:35 AM »

as i work on a windows/xampp system for the majority of my spam develpoment/tools i've run into the problem of threading php apps for greater efficiency. the problem is forking is not possible on win32 systems (i'd love to be corrected here!) so i've started looking at other languages. so far the shortlist has been whittled down to python or perl.
I have not used perl since like 5.6
but fork is implemented in ActiveState perl  for windows.
M$ pay tons to activestate to make it possible Smiley

dump the fuking windows and install linux.
you get a proper shell, what apps do u lose ? (unless u are talking about games, that is about the only important windows apps i know)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 08:55:28 AM »

Ditto

Unless you need the GUI, dump it man. Hell - in ANY language then you could just use poor-man's threading (exec('anexpr')  in PHP) and be done with it. Wouldn't have to reboot so often either...

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript