The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2019, 07:51:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: library at python, how to remembered it at all ????  (Read 3667 times)
nubie
Rookie

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:46:03 PM »

Hi all, i've been used python for network programming right now for some purpose it is very help me
to solve some problem, but there are a lot of library out there that i don't know the function of that library and
honestly sometimes i've forgot what library i need to use to make my program running as i expected.

Is there any way to clean this thing or i've must just remembered what the most i've used at all ?

Thanks a lot,
nubie  Grin
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »

No. Most of us just look it up.

I program in PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, C, even BASH script has some quirks about its syntax. There's no way I can remember all of their silly little libraries off the top of my head. Get yourself a good IDE that will autocomplete the names of whatever functions, objects, etc. you are calling. I like Netbeans for PHP and Ruby, but I use vim for most other stuff.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:14 PM »

No. Most of us just look it up.

Constantly.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:42:58 PM »

Zactly. I have bookmarks right on the bar of my browsers for the documentation on the languages I'm currently into, because I can't even seem to remember the order of params for simple sh!t anymore  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:55:54 PM »

me too.

at best i can remember some of the names of libraries i might need, ie lxml for xml/html parsing or re for regular expressions. i don't even remember string functions. i am completely dependdant on an ide.

for python wingide from wingware has nice code completion and a handy little box that displays documentation for the function or object your cursor is on. but it's not free. i think netbeans will give you the same info in a context popup or something. netbeans is probably the closest to being a be all end all ide for what ever language.

no ide can suggest what library you need for a specific job though, for that you need a to do little googling. fortunately in python there probably is a library that does what you need so just google python + do something.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:59 PM »

Well, some would say Eclipse rather than Netbeans now. Netbeans *seems* a lot less bloated to me, and that's what's important.

hai
nubie
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »

Thanks for the advise about this thing, but the most importanly i still need learn and practice a lott  D'oh!

cheers,
nubie
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 08:22:03 PM »

Well, some would say Eclipse rather than Netbeans now. Netbeans *seems* a lot less bloated to me, and that's what's important.
by "be all end all" i meant better support for more languages. wingide is the best python ide but not much more than a text editor for anything aelse. netbeans handles java, python, php, etc.

i prefer netbeans to eclipse. netbeans does feel less bloated and is more tightly integrated imo. eclipse language support is by plugins wich require switching context or something. i don't like eclipses whole workbench thing either.
though im not crazy about netbeans project structure which is more suited to java than dynamic languages like python or php.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

Well, some would say Eclipse rather than Netbeans now.

I'm a total Eclipse-head these days and need it like oxygen.  The context switching used to bother me but I've found having a separate "install" in a different directory keeps things clean in some cases.  There's just no reason for me to have Apex/Visualforce projects in the same ever expanding project repository as Radrails.  Plus things get a bit "corrupt registry-like" when you go nuts trying out various plugins. 

So keeping a relatively lean and focused set of plugins for targeted areas really works nicely IMO.  Initial load time is my biggest gripe with Eclipse but it's worth the wait Smiley

And Subversion in Eclipse for team development - especially for cloud computing - just kicks ass.  Also though I haven't touched it yet, I hear CruiseControl blends nicely as well.

EDIT: Some plug-ins like the Force.com IDE are not compatible with the latest versions of Eclipse (yet).  They all make their way to the current release on their own schedule so having multiple repositories/eclipse directories works well for me
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:06:21 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:00:13 AM »

Subversion "just works" in Neatbeans. It's seriously cool. I don't touch SVN with netbeans, I use the command line to update and push new versions and such, but it still knows what's going on and always can show me where the Kaptain has broken some functionality modified a file or two.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript