The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:47:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Laptop broken - feelin seriously n00b right now  (Read 12242 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:13 PM »

I have a 1-year old Toshiba Qosmio laptop that is basically dead but hope someone has a suggestion.  It shuts down anywhere from 5 seconds to 2 minutes after it's turned on. 

Diags, boot from DVD/USB, nothing helps.  Plugged in, running on battery - same deal.  Cleaned it, reseated the battery (which is retaining a charge), nothing helps.  Keep the laptop in a cool wind-tunnel, no change.

Any help would be s.e.r.i.o.u.s.l.y appreciated!  It was a $1,700 laptop so itto's a bit Cry  right now.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »

sounds like the thermistor, probably under the main processor. Have had that to a few machines. Either the processor is getting just SLIGHTLY too hot or the thermistor is reporting that it is ... forcing a hard shutdown. That would not show on any report at all.

That's not a user serviceable part, if so. More than a year? Major drag.
Thought you were considering a move to the dark side. Well, no time like the present... Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:32:23 PM »

that sounds like something is shorting out at temperature.
the powersupply. its always the powersupply.

though what perk just said could also be it.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:32 PM »

power supply has thermistors and surge protection as well... good point Nuts, could be that also. That would be MUCH better if so, because probably the PS is offboard to the main processor.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:14:53 PM »

sounds like the thermistor, probably under the main processor. Have had that to a few machines. Either the processor is getting just SLIGHTLY too hot or the thermistor is reporting that it is ... forcing a hard shutdown. That would not show on any report at all.

That's not a user serviceable part, if so. More than a year? Major drag.

I've seen this before too but in direct cool air after a good cleaning I figured I'd get a little longer before it "heated off."  Actually after cleaning and replacing a fan the problem went away on a previous laptop.

>the powersupply. its always the powersupply.

Hadn't considered the power supply since when I get just long enough to see it the battery reports almost full of charge.  Wow, this could make sense.  I think I misunderstood how a laptop's power works.  I thought all power came directly from the battery.  Wonder how I could verify this?  The Geek Squad wants $239 to just tell me what I need to replace!  Bastards...

>Dark side

I'm probably gonna wind up on the "$399 side" since all I really need today is a browser & Eclipse for cloud computing.  Thx for the help guys!

NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »

something is wrong with the temperature inside your laptop !

I had a problem like this with my notebook ...

It's temperature was blazzing hot ... and it shutdowns every hour ! But this is not your case !

I've purchased a cooling pad with a LARGE fan ... and everything work smooth now !

what's up?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »

something is wrong with the temperature inside your laptop !

Yep.  Couple pages of entries on the Toshiba board after I simply Googled: Toshiba Qosmio Overheating (http://laptopforums.toshiba.com/t5/Batteries-and-Power/Toshiba-Qosmio-F55-Q502-overheating/td-p/14644%3Bjsessionid=762710B8AE04670F9BC6C86A49DA6ADB)

Toshiba Qosmio F55-Q502 overheating!

I agree with those complaining about overheating. My Qosmio F55-Q502 worked great for a few months and played games well but then it started overheating and not just crashing to the desktop but the computer just shuts off. A cold boot was required and changed all my screen settings, etc. It's not the bios and it's not a Vista 64 bit or 32 bit problem, it's simply overheating. Using Speedfan 4.5 the cpu and core run in the 50s and 60s with the laptop just idling and gets blazing hot in a game. The GPU fan is whirring like crazy. It now shuts down after 15 minutes in the simplist game and the bottom of the laptop towards the back near the fan is blazing hot. I suspect the fan is not working well, has accumulated dust or it's a thermal paste problem. I'll have to send it in for servicing because this isn't right. Hope this isn't going to be a continual problem because I see Toshiba is discontinuing this model.

Thanks again for the help all!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »

"thermal paste" ... that'd let the processor go just a couple degrees to hot and ping! thermistor would pop and kill the board, just liked described.

If you feel really bold, you could open it up and put a buncha more heat grease between the processor and the sinks ... that might do ya.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 12:34:40 AM »

Well at least I can tell you where you made your first mistake.. it was when you bought a laptop made by Toshiba. It's like buying cars made by KIA.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 06:30:53 AM »

Well at least I can tell you where you made your first mistake.. it was when you bought a laptop made by Toshiba. It's like buying cars made by KIA.

ROFLMAO  ROFLMAO

I'm remembering when some friends of mine saw a Toshiba Satellite .... and they started to get anexious !

"Look what design, what amazing notebook !"

I told them it's only the design the rest is shit !

But once again they were not a GURU like me !

ROFLMAO

what's up?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »

That's not a user serviceable part...

A what in the who now?

Surely you know how to use a soldering iron.

Not kidding either, it's really not that hard. Get a decent soldering iron with a micro tip.

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:46 AM »

I thought all power came directly from the battery.

It does. The batteries are +12v. I'm not sure what nuts is talking about. There is a power conditioner inline with the battery in pretty much any modern laptop since at full charge, a 12v battery will output something like 16v and when it gets low it's only going to be putting out 6 or 8 before your machine goes down...

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:52:00 AM »

ASUS laptops.

Cheap, fast (mine and KK's have dual core 2.6Ghz procs with 4GB RAM and a geforce 9650m GT with 1GB RAM 1920x1200 resolution in a 17" package - cost about $1500 a year ago) , rock solid reliable.

EDIT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220550

core 2 quad, gf GTX 260 w/1GB video ram and 6GB RAM. good price. Really good price. You know what you would have to pay to get that kind of hardware in a macbook pro? Oh wait, you can't!  Tongue
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:54:15 AM by vsloathe » Logged

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »

>Oh wait, you can't!

How about you fanbois give me time to grab a drink and some popcorn before you pile on VS, even though he's right.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »

Oh wait, you can't!  Tongue

LOL. Your Mac envy is palpable.
Comparing a Taurus with a big engine to a shiny new 6-Series convertible.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript