The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are you FTPing files in your code?  (Read 1769 times)
tomblack
Rookie

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:22:42 AM »

How do you guys ftp files around your server/s at script/code level?  Iíve being looking at ssh scripts and the php ftp module. 

Iím interested in your opinions of the pros and cons on both methods.

Cheers TB
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:52 AM »

The PHP FTP stuff works great, use it al the time. I'd have to say that I probably use ftp from the shell most often, although as a GUI I use Transmit.

When I have an often-recurring one directional pull, I've used Apache and HTTP rather than FTP. Cached text and such.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »

Depends on the environment, but generally not FTP as its plaintext. SCP/SFTP, I use a lot.

hai
tomblack
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »

Cheers for the replies, I'll look into these.  Smiley

I've give you some background into my question cause it might change your answers. Roll Eyes

I'm planning on writting a simple automated mass wordpress installer that I can run from a cron job.  I seem to be using wordpress for a lot of my tests and having this in my arsenal would make my live a lot easier. Smiley

Anyway the files that I'd be moving around my server would be the zipped up wordpress files.
serialnoob
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:14:26 PM »

I use shared installs with cpanel/fantastico, I found it much easier to use one of the many cpanel apis, which is ultimately http requests. But I would still like to know what the gurus think about then, ftp /sftp updates and the kind of organization as your question suggests.

I end up having a single wordpress install to update and symlink each site to this install ie: plugins, themes, custom stuff
I still have not managed sorting out the admin folder, but if my system is in a good mood, I can install in less than a minute with custom template, plugs etc, (pieace of cake for you guys,but auto-satisfaction does not hurt )

the idea being I test locally, then upload once. and it can be done on multpile servers by keeping an update log

I suppose in boxed environment the situation would be different

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript