The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:12:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rec2 Pro w/Komplete won't boot past "Initializing System", keyboard won't type  (Read 4172 times)
StudioBill9011
n00b

View Profile
« on: July 24, 2011, 06:59:29 AM »

Hi folks, recently my Receptor 2 Pro w/Komplete wouldn't boot past "Initializing System" screen, for which I opened a Support ticket, and a very helpful gentleman by the name of Gary Grove is currently in the process of helping me with this issue.  I think his instructions will probably solve the problem...HOWEVER...---there's ALWAYS a "but" or a "However", sometimes BOTH, isn't there..?--Anyway, for some reason the mac USB keyboard I have hooked directly to my Rec 2 refuses to type any characters at the blinking cursor except "Control-D", which simply boots it again back to the same command line error screen. If I tap many random keys I can see the blinking cursor reacting to my cloud of keystrokes, (blinking rate changes along with keystrokes), but virtually none of the keys will type anything into the prompt line. Could there possibly be some issue with the Mac keyboard I'm using? It's one of the small silver, kind of "minimalist-looking" keyboards, Model # A1243..I'm thinking this is doubtful as it works perfectly with any PC/platform I've used it with, but I don't have immediate access to a Windows USB keyboard @ the moment, hence my question. Gary will undoubtedly reply to my latest issue sometime on Monday, just thought maybe it's something simple, and I could get started on "beating back those alligators", today, leaving tomorrow for a leisurely "draining the swamp" procedure, so to speak... Thanks, all!
Cheers, Bill Wilkinson (StudioBill9011)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »

Hmmm yea, could certainly be the keyboard. I've noticed other systems that don't do well with the Mac wired keyboards, so that's a reasonable assumption. It's interesting though that you see the cursor blnk rate change ... The receptor is definitely hearing the keyboard, but just not the right way.

I've only ever put PS2 style keyboards and mice into the Receptor and have had good luck.

Just out of curiosity, what did the tech tell you to do? Mine has never locked up such, so I'd like to know the circumstances under which it broke and how to fix it.

good luck man.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
StudioBill9011
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »

I'm really not sure about what caused it to lock up, I think there may have been some kind of power anomaly; there was a huge thunderstorm not too far away that night. Basically what he told me to do was run a fsck, which I have now done. Incidentally, it turns out that the Receptor DOES indeed have issues with the small, flat Mac keyboards, so today I bought a brand spankin' new USB QWERTY, and was able to type in the commands. Still not resolved yet, however. The replies I got were a bit different than he told me they would be, and it rebooted back to the same error screen, so,  I'm expecting a call from Muse in the morning with further instructions. I did notice that the date it's showing is like, JAN 5 2007, and I've seen a couple of posts involving changing the date to bring it back, but we'll see what they say in the AM. Hope springs eternal with each rising sun, right? Unfortunately, Cynicism often follows in Hope's footsteps...<smile>
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:25 PM »

@Electricity Bounce: That's not good. I've had trouble with much of my gear from that - it seems to be less tolerant than any of my other equipment.

If you've fsck'd it and you're still getting the errors that's also a bad sign, unless you managed to do the fsck without actually repairing anything. I hope that when you talk to the Rec. boys that can take care of you - otherwise you're in for a bit of loneliness. I had to send mine in for repair and was without for almost 5 weeks.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript