The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:29:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perhaps expand the name of this forum?  (Read 7400 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »

I see a fair amount of "home entertainment" threads here. There are going to be more as convergence marches on.  What about making this Music forum something like Music & Video or even Entertainment Tech?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »

That's an interesting notion RC ... and yeah, the recent discussions of AppleTV, the remotes, streaming, ripping and scraping might really be better served here.

I'll give it a think and look at the thread load. Thanks for the bump, meng.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 01:08:50 PM »

Hell no. There's enough AV forums and Cache doesn't have a change to compete with them. It's not a coincident that all great services focus on one particular topic. You don't see AV forums expanding to databases.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »

Not trying to compete K, wouldn't even think of it. I believe RC's point is organization rather than new thrust.

This particular board has not been very used because it's pretty specific ... I think it either needs to grow or go.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »

... or go.

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

perk, are you crazy ?

<later edit>
I was thinking about the forum ... not the board
 ROFLMAO
</later edit>

what's up?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:28:50 PM »

Anything that relieves General Tech is a good thing Smiley  Had a few ideas but realized a few areas are hard split

free software/open source
home entertainment
networking, servers, storage
cloud computing
all things Microsoft Windows
portable/wireless

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:56:55 PM »

Not trying to compete K, wouldn't even think of it. I believe RC's point is organization rather than new thrust.

This particular board has not been very used because it's pretty specific ... I think it either needs to grow or go.
Ah, I was thinking it from more of an expansion point of view like getting new members to talk about hometheatre.

Actually this brings some of my old ideas back to conscious mind. One thing I would love to do someday is to create a proper forum software. All these forum softwares from vBulletin to SMF are so 90s. They are only graphical presentations of same old usenet. And frankly when the size of the forum grows, it produces so much info it can't be handled very well by individual member. I can't understand why nobody else seems to realize this. Do people really like spending 10 minutes to browse new threads and then picking 1-2 for more reading? Current way of using internet is soooooo doomed. My head is ready to explode with all the material that's required to read for you to be able to actually use internet efficiently and not just login into Facebook.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 11:03:59 PM »

I find that Show All Unread is just fine... so long as I keep up. When I disappear for a few days and come get new threads there is often a whole buncha information that I need to go through. I suppose that I could install some kind of filter to make it so that I only see what I want to see... but I think I'd spend more time trying to make a smart filter than just using my eyes to gloss over titles.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »

I find that Show All Unread is just fine... so long as I keep up. When I disappear for a few days and come get new threads there is often a whole buncha information that I need to go through. I suppose that I could install some kind of filter to make it so that I only see what I want to see... but I think I'd spend more time trying to make a smart filter than just using my eyes to gloss over titles.
My point exactly Smiley I hope you didn't think I actually browser all the forums one by one looking for new topics Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript