The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. August 01, 2014, 12:46:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Muse Receptor-Installing Unsupported Plugins  (Read 9750 times)
Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »

The earlier section I read on the Muse Receptor looks pretty advanced for my oh-so feeble techie quotient with Linux. Basically, I want to cram as many cool programs into my Muse Receptor as possible. I bought a first-edition used Receptor and there's over a half-GB left on the hard drive of the Receptor. I checked out the list of unsupported plugins known to work on Receptor. There were several programs I already own that use a license file for copy protection. Does anyone know if the license file should be just loaded into the plugin directory on the Receptor or if there is anything special to look out for?

Now, the good part: I also have a few Team Air versions of DLL files for a few plugins that I keep so that I can run my plugins on a notebook in addition to my desktop machines. Does anyone have experience to know whether the Receptor will blow up and die if I install the liberated version of these dlls for a unsupported plugin known to work on a Receptor?

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 08:27:27 AM »

I don't remember the specific licensing process for packages on the receptor anymore, but i do remember the installing them when they were bad was a pretty simple uninstall and did not damage things ...

The sounds you have are just dlls essentially, and their liberated state should not make a difference at all, unless they've been screwed with in other ways as well. Liberated is my favorite Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »

Haha, diplomacy is key! I've yet to make the adventure trying these out, but I'll probably have some more news after the weekend. I'm particularly interested in seeing if the Air versions work out. There probably won't be a problem with the plugins that use challenge/response but a couple require the existence of a license file. In Windows, that license file can be dragged into an area on the product's VST screen but I have no idea what will happen in Receptor, but I guess that's the lesson we all learned from Lewis & Clark!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 11:49:04 AM »

Go forth and prosper make music, young man. Sonic rewards await Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 12:06:11 PM »

Well, so far, the first effort went bust. I had a patched version of Alchemy and the Receptor install went fine without any errors, and the patch showed up as an available plugin, but alas, the Alchemy interface wouldn't show up no matter what I did to it. The weird part is that when I went to uninstall, the Alchemy plugin didn't even show up on the list. I checked the program files/Vstplugins/Unsupported Plugins folder and found my Alchemy folder containing the DLL file, a log file and a couple of XML files (which grew out of one DLL file). Camel Audio Alchemy was one of the unsupported plugins that KVR listed as "known to work" with Receptor.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »

Which version of the receptor OS do you have? Several things that work NOW did not work with older revs...

Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:33:23 AM »

It's the Receptor 1, that runs their version 1.17 operating system. I know that a lot of plugins that work on the Receptor 2 won't work on the Receptor 1 but a fair amount do. The old owner of my Receptor managed to get Reaktor 5 and also loaded one of the versions, but not the most recent version, of Ivory. I'm sure that it's just going to be a lot of hit and miss, trying out new plugins on this older machine. I will also try loading one of the earlier versions of Alchemy to see if I have any better luck, but for now, I guess since there is no uninstall information for the plug I just installed, I'll just use the Receptor Hard Drive utility on my laptop to remove the version of Alchemy I just installed along with its logs, html files and other stuff. Although I know that installing Kontakt 3 and up is a no-no for Receptor 1, there's some hope with Samplelord that reads Kontakt files, so I'll work on that and let you know if I have any success.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 10:33:55 AM »

Kontakt 3... which version of Komplete did that come with? I have Komplete 4 on my Receptor that was originally v1.x but I upgraded to 2 ... it runs great but I don't know the individual rev numbers of the apps.

I think it's a pretty straight up upgrade, unless the machine is too old to do it - you download from Muse and with the disk utility you put the image (somewhere, they'll tell you) and then reboot and it's supposed to go.

The only way I ever installed modules was through the disk utility, worked great. The last one I did was OP-X which is one of my all time favs, having been an Oberheim man since I was young.

Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »

I'm not too sure about which versions are released on the various Komplete compilations. I pretty much started with Reaktor 3 (the ala carte version), about seven years ago, and then eventually upgraded to version 4 then 5. Sometime back, I bought Kontakt 3, and I think NI gave me an upgrade to 3.5. I've got a version of Kontakt 4 and I love that on my PC, but I seriously doubt that Receptor 1 could even think about running Kontakt 4 (even if I could coax an unsupported install on the Receptor).

On the Muse Research Receptor site, it specifically says that Receptor OS 1.7 (and change) is the limit for the Receptor 1, OS versions 1.8 and beyond are limited to Receptor 2.

OP-X, yeah! That's some great software! I bought it a while back, even had the owner build me a patch I was looking for. He wrote me and said that OP-X could probably be installed as an unsupported plugin and work all right, but he suggested using the Receptorized ILock version and for registered owners, you can get a free license for the ILock.

For now, I want to see how far I can go on this Receptor 1. I bought it on ebay for $500.00 and you see what the new ones are going for, especially with some premium pre-loaded plugins, so I I'm sure I don't have to tell you what my motive was for buying an older Receptor.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:48:02 PM »

Totally get it. I've moved much more towards running everything on my Mac than the receptor now, although I'm considering a hybrid so that I can get more cycles. One of these days my big old MacPro will replace the MacBookPro and I'll really get something going. My thought is to use the Mac pro for the processing muscle, but use some of the new iPad - Logic interfaces to control things on a little touch screen. The very thing that thwarted me with the Receptor.

My goal is to take the control surface (an iPad) around with me regardless of instrument im playing wirelessly - yet control the full rig. That would be the bomb. One other possibility is the iRAPP server which allows you to log into a Mac like and RDP session in Windows - then I'd have close to 100% control.

Dreaming further, if the control surface apps had a slip screen that allowed for 'macro buttons' (performance edits, sound changes, event triggers, timing pads, etc) then you could really, really execute some fun stuff from this little pad.

Man I need to really get my arms around Objective C.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:50:09 PM by perkiset » Logged

Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »

I must have fallen into a cyberhole somewhere because I just ran across your reply!

Oh yeah, having a clever little remote device like an IPad, with its touch tablet interface would be king, if you could work out all the connections. On the Uniwire concept with the Receptor, Muse recommends using a wired ethernet connection (not wireless) when slaving the Receptor from your DAW, but it sounds like you've got a great concept there.

On my quest to cram my Receptor, I've enjoyed some really good Reaktor ensembles. Crow makes a really good package of Ensembles and I love triggering them with  my guitar controller. Now I've tried to install Samplelord and the initial install didn't show any errors, and unlike my experience trying to install Camel Audio, the program showed up from the list of available plugins in the mix view, but when I tried to load it, I first heard a click in the Receptor and then I was deported back to the mix view. I went to the manual to uninstall Samplelord but when I got inside the Samplelord folder, there was this little file called Samplelord-Muse-Lock.xml. There was a bunch of crap inside the file, but the first parts of the file something like this:

<?xml version "1.0" ?>
- <muse-lock version="2">
  <muse-lock-status>SignedOnly</muse-lock-status>
- <muse-lock-signature>
  <signature-publisher-name>Muse Research, Inc.</signature-publisher-name>
  <signature-publisher-ID>3AAA13D8-B42E-E70B-F8C8-5181984604AA</signature-publisher-ID>
  <signature-publisher-certificate>-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE----- MIIE/DCCA+SgAwIBAgIDD0KfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBBAUAMIHGMQswCQYDVQQGEwJV
  etc., etc.

I also have three other new Muse files in the folder called .Samplelord-sign.xml and Samplelord-info-cache.xml and logfile.txt.

So do you think that this is copyright type stuff or just signs of Samplelord futility? LOL!

If it is copyright stuff, what happens if I delete everything in the Samplelord file rename the .dll file from Samplelord to something like Perkiset.dll (j/k), for example, and then try installing that? Does this situation look recognizeable as anything you have ever run into and then worked out?

Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 08:38:41 PM »

Whoa! Radical! Great update...I tried loading one of the other plugins, and when I tried to explore the plugin, Receptor froze, so I rebooted and voila!! Samplelord works! I'm beyond stoked. It should basically do everything that I can do with Kontakt 4. I will try this out and let you know how this works out. There's a really cool plugin made by Even Harmonic that's great for guitar players. It's called Gtak4 and what it does is call up six instances of whatever sample you want to pull up, with the six instances listening on channels 1-6, which is how a midi guitar controller works. For now, I've been transmitting out on Channel one.

Okay, this is getting cool again!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 07:34:16 PM »

Sorry for the silence Mix ... I've been on family holiday for a couple weeks.

Sounds like you are on the right track ... well done mate.

Gettin' me all amped up to fire mine back up and have some giggles.

Mixamidian
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »

That's cool, hope your trip was good and glad you're back!

The touch-pad controller idea still sounds good, if you ever get that going, please let me know. That would be a hell of a lot more convenient in a gig setting than using a mouse. Triggering several midi events at once for your macros shouldn't be too much of a problem. It is something you can do with a Behringer FCB-1010 midi foot board also.

Well, I had big hopes for the Samplelord installation, but there were a few letdowns too, like I can open Kontakt 3 samples, but Receptor blocks use of the special copyrighted NI Kontakt sample sets like Phaedra, Fixed Otto, Scarbee and some others, but it definitely works for the Kontakt 3 sample library (cool since Kontakt 3 itself will not install on Receptor 1).

I got Kontakt 2 OPX-Pro up and running with no problems at all. I also just installed Guitar Rig 2 and Dashsynthesis Pro-Sounds One. The install on Pro-Sounds is a little spotty but it will probably work better after a few tweaks. The Pro Sounds looked like it wouldn't install at first, just like Samplelord, but when I fired the Receptor back up, I was delighted to see PS available in the plugin list. Yes, this thing is definitely a learning experience!

I won't stop until there exists a highly respectable palette of cool VST plugins!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:34 AM »

Smiley

Going back a bit, and as you know, my goal was to create a touch screen environment for the Receptor and I failed. But just thinking again, since my iPad has an RDP/VNC interface, if I put a wireless bridge on my net behind the Receptor, then then theoretically i could have that touch conol I wanted ... That would be reasonable cool, but when pad multitasking comes out in November, i could control both my Mac's instance of Logic AND the Receptor wirelessly from the pad pseudo-simultaneously. That would be an incredible help.

It's not this week, but Im going to give that a whirl soon...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript