The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Muse Receptor Hacks  (Read 27920 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »

The Muse Receptor is simply a Linux box running VST plugins under Wine on RedHat 8. So I wanted to get in and muck about, and had difficulty at first. But I found a couple threads and pages that pushed me in the right direction.

Best one is here: http://ogg.kicks-ass.net/receptor/

but the most important first step is to get root access to the box. Instructions follow:

• Connect VGA monitor and keyboard to Receptor
  • Start Receptor and interrupt the Grub bootloader by pressing the 'e' key as it shows up - might have to press and hold immediately, which also might leave lots of "e"s on the boot line editor... make sure you don't mess with the boot instructions - just press ESC to go back to the boot command list
  • Edit line 2, and add the number '1' after the kernel line, and press enter. The line should read:
    kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317 splash=silent ide0=ata66 1
    when you're done, press ENTER to exit edit mode
  • Press 'b' to boot the selected and modified line - it will go through it's normal boot cycle but will end up in single user mode rather than the Receptor application.
  • Use the 'passwd' utility and to change the root password.
  • You'll want the root user to be able to ssh in, so edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and un-comment the PermitRootLogin yes line. (VI is on the Receptor) Exit VI when this is done.
  • Add sshd to the startup sequence with this command: chkconfig --add sshd
  • Reboot the receptor

At this point the receptor will reboot into it's normal mode and the Receptor application will start - but you'll be able to SSH in and will no longer need a monitor and keyboard.

Just for the info: The linux kernel version is 2.4 and XFree86 is 4.2.

Next up: I'm going to get a touch screen monitor and try to interface with it so that I can take my Mac out of the loop for live applications.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »

kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317 splash=silent ide0=ata66 1

kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=0x317 splash=silent ide0=ata66 single

is another way to write the line just FYI.

Looks like a some of the dev stuff for this (plugins etc.) is in C++ perk, sing out if you need a hand.

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »

TD what exactly does that line mean? I've never played with the login/bootstrap stuff on the front side of a Linux box, so I was very hesitant here.

Essentially, when I power up the box (if I have a monitor attached) then I see the very very beginnings of the bios loader and the moment it goes to grub there's a splash screen and I can see nothing else. Next thing we know the primary application is up with mouse control - but no GNOME or KDE to speak of.

I'd like to be able to run another app on the box temporarily - I'll need to calibrate a capacitive touch screen I am purchasing for it, but have no idea on how to go about it. Do you have a moment to give me a primer on how/what/why the startup is what it is, and how I might be able to hotwire something of my own for a bit?

TIA,
-p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

Sure perk, love to.

Have a look in /boot/ and tell me what is in there. Can you get into the bios? Boot from CD or USB?

let me know what's in /boot/ anyway to get started.

"kernel /vmlinuz" says look for a vmlinuz* kernel image in the root of the device "ro root=/dev/hda2" which is to be mounted read only. "vga=0x317" video mode (prolly frramebuffer) their should be lists of these modes on the net. http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=10793 for "splash=silent". "ide0=ata66" specifying the type of HDD controller I think. "1" or "single" is specifying the runlevel to start in, you can use 3 or 5 or whatever (but not 6 which is reboot.... that would be bad :-) )

Cheers,
td

- Unknown
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:52:58 AM »

Have a look in /boot/ and tell me what is in there. Can you get into the bios? Boot from CD or USB?

let me know what's in /boot/ anyway to get started.
Haven't tried to get to the bios... but I'll do that and check the /boot dir tomorrow.

"kernel /vmlinuz" says look for a vmlinuz* kernel image in the root of the device "ro root=/dev/hda2" which is to be mounted read only. "vga=0x317" video mode (prolly frramebuffer) their should be lists of these modes on the net. http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=10793 for "splash=silent". "ide0=ata66" specifying the type of HDD controller I think. "1" or "single" is specifying the runlevel to start in, you can use 3 or 5 or whatever (but not 6 which is reboot.... that would be bad :-) )
Hmmmm... so by adding the "1" at the end, I forced it into single user mode ... I didn't realize that this was run-level 1. So by adding a 3 at the end, I should be able to boot into text mode and 5 into X, correct?

It is my assumption that the drivers for the touch screen will need to be calibrated, but then I won't need to touch them again - I assume I can put the driver starter into... what, rc2 or something? What would the default run level be? How can I tell that?

Thanks man

thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:38:53 PM »

Haven't tried to get to the bios... but I'll do that and check the /boot dir tomorrow.

'k

Hmmmm... so by adding the "1" at the end, I forced it into single user mode ... I didn't realize that this was run-level 1. So by adding a 3 at the end, I should be able to boot into text mode and 5 into X, correct?

Spot on.

It is my assumption that the drivers for the touch screen will need to be calibrated, but then I won't need to touch them again - I assume I can put the driver starter into... what, rc2 or something? What would the default run level be? How can I tell that?

Look at /etc/inittab, it should look something like this;

Code:
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

Hopefully they tell you if they've done anything funky with the run levels (or hopefully they are standard). The last line I've posted there, the one that starts with "id" tells you what the default runlevel is, in this case 5.

Try 2 or 3 and see how you go, you might be able to run the driver calibration software once and be good.

Cheers,
td

- Unknown
jcalvorquin
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »

Hello,

Iīm Muse research USer with the latest OS and software version, and I have a very big problem.

The first thing is, i donīt know why the Receptor support donīt work, I pay a lot of money for buy this machine and I canīt imagine why you never response to my email. All the supports of my hardware device works perfect and very fast.

I was having a problem with some software and trying to get support to muse research website, but never happend, so i call a friend expert in computers, and he come to my house for try fix the problem, and he try to get access to the Linux OS via ROOT access, i donīt remember but something by pressing E in the begining and changeing a command line with a 1 in the end... But in this moment my device never work ... Trying to reboot the machine stop the process and say me... "FAILED, An error ocurred during the file check. Droping you to a shell; the system will reboot when you leave the shell. Give root access for maintenance or type control-d for normal startup."

So i try to reboot normally with control D but never happend, repeat the same process and is stopped on the same place.

After the first time we try to leave the command line without 1, like in the beggining for normal startup, but doesnīt work. And if I try to write a password the cursor doesnīt move and doesnīt write anything.

I donīt know what to do, because my fucking friend now is in Spain and he really donīt know what to do with this problem...

So can you say me how to repair it?, maybe with the root password, maybe another command... PLease I really need help quickly because i need to play soon in a lot of events and partys and receptor is like the brain of the system... If there are Support on england i go for repair It, but if i need to pay the send to Canada iīm in a very big problem.

Thank you very very very much, sorry for my english and best regards...

Julian calvo.

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 01:07:18 PM »

Hello,

Iīm Muse research USer with the latest OS and software version, and I have a very big problem.

The first thing is, i donīt know why the Receptor support donīt work, I pay a lot of money for buy this machine and I canīt imagine why you never response to my email. All the supports of my hardware device works perfect and very fast.
Hello Julian - I just received your email as well. This is the first I've heard of anything at all, and have never received an email from you before, so I am a bit confused, unless you mean that THEY have never responded to your email. This I understand - they are not very good that way. (I don't work for them or am associated with them in any way other than owning a Receptor, by the way)

I was having a problem with some software and trying to get support to muse research website, but never happend, so i call a friend expert in computers, and he come to my house for try fix the problem, and he try to get access to the Linux OS via ROOT access, i donīt remember but something by pressing E in the begining and changeing a command line with a 1 in the end... But in this moment my device never work ... Trying to reboot the machine stop the process and say me... "FAILED, An error ocurred during the file check. Droping you to a shell; the system will reboot when you leave the shell. Give root access for maintenance or type control-d for normal startup."

So i try to reboot normally with control D but never happend, repeat the same process and is stopped on the same place.

After the first time we try to leave the command line without 1, like in the beggining for normal startup, but doesnīt work. And if I try to write a password the cursor doesnīt move and doesnīt write anything.

I donīt know what to do, because my fucking friend now is in Spain and he really donīt know what to do with this problem...

So can you say me how to repair it?, maybe with the root password, maybe another command... PLease I really need help quickly because i need to play soon in a lot of events and partys and receptor is like the brain of the system... If there are Support on england i go for repair It, but if i need to pay the send to Canada iīm in a very big problem.
I just called Muse to get the right number - you must call 650-326-6180 and right away. The main office says that tech support usually has this sort of thing handled within 24 hours. You can also go to www.plugorama.com and register a trouble ticket if your Receptor is registered. This *may* be better if you are not good with English over the phone.

Thank you very very very much, sorry for my english and best regards...

Julian calvo.
No worries, I regret the trouble you're having. I'm still having some difficulties with mine after the work I did trying to get a touch screen to hook up to it. I hope they take care of you quickly and painlessly.

Thanks for stopping by, hope this isn't the last we'll hear from you. Don't have many Receptor users come around here Smiley
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:10:35 PM by perkiset » Logged

jcalvorquin
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 02:22:40 PM »

Hello again...

First of all thank you very much, iīm serious.

I call a few minutes ago to  muse research, I explain my problem but they say, is imposibble to repair, I need to buy another HD on plugorama website and loose all my projects, sounds, samples, and years of work... I donīt know exactly but I think is false, because i donīt damage the HD fisically, I only try to get acces to Linux OS root, and I think if receptor is proffessional device with Linux this shit never can be. They donīt want to give me the root password.

Itīs very hard to hear "buy another HD,  is not possible to fix the problem".

This afternoon the machine work perfectly and now, only trying to see inside, fatal crash... Very bad...

Sorry with my bad english and thank you very much again.
Julian Calvo.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 03:09:25 PM »

This is going to be tough, it doesn't sound like they are going to be very helpful.

Did you read the post at the top of this thread about getting into the Receptor? That post will tell you how to do it. However, you do NOT need to change (or have access to) the root password to get in. Once you are at that place, you may be able to get it to start a check or something, I have no idea.

I'll post a ping thread in the more technical boards here and see if anyone can assist.

/p

jcalvorquin
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:32:30 AM »

Hello again... 

One question, have you got the last software version of receptor?

I do all the steps to go inside receptor, but the problem is when I change the second command line and add a 1 in the end, and the receptor begin to reboot, never hapend, is stopped in a screen  

Can you explain me how to return to original starup mode, or what can i do for reboot the machine.
Is fucking important for me, because i need to send the machine too far and spend lot of money for save the HD info.

Thank you very much.

* _2021480.gif (109.04 KB, 720x540 - viewed 6022 times.)

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »

That's actually a great screen shot.

I don't know how to do it, but there's a couple lads that might. Again, I'll ping the 'nix side of the board and see who can help you.

Doesn't look like your drive is bad or anything. Just needs to be FSCK'd.

Hang on man.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 08:34:52 PM »

Can you get to a command prompt (preferable BASH) at all?

You're going to need to go fsck yourself.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:15:07 PM »

VS - when you do the commands at the top of this thread and you're "pre shell" can you do a fsck? Cause that's when he's going to need to do it I think...

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:01:47 AM »

I am not sure if you can do what he needs to do from runlevel 1.

Is it possible to boot with the commands you give at the top of the thread into runlevel 3?

hai
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript