The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:45:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A new Guitarist (to me at least) HOLY SMOKES  (Read 7115 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 01:36:33 PM »

I just got turned on to Wayne Johnson. His album, One Guitar, is just unfrigging believable. I mean really, he is phenomenal, has a great "pocket" a great heart (you can hear it it the music) and is really creative in his use of the instrument.

If you like acoustic guitar at all, it is worth purchasing, I promise. The iTunes snippets don't even begin to get to anything good, don't go there for a taste, it won't happen. If you only want to risk a dollar or two, purchase My Secret ( a 7 minute piece that wanders across a sweet landscape of textures and feels ) or Dear Heart if you wish to hear his spirit, or For Sodie's Sake if you simply want to hear an upbeat "feel good" jam. I have the whole album, it is just marvelous.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »

good skills ....

sounds nicely recorded aswell. They actually left some dynamics in !
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Yeah - sounds like a pretty simple mic'ing rig, pretty uncompressed. It's very close to live and I love it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »

been listening to this a lot since my real job stopped my learning curve over the last couple weeks  Violin

anyways....hes good !!!! as you say.Right in the pocket.

You a player(flaver flaaaave ) or a listener?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »

Professional pianist and keyboardist for a great many years. Started playing piano at 4, in my first band at 13, started touring at 17. Quit the touring scene gradually during '84 .. '86. I still record for myself and have a really delightful rig in my office for digital recording - I've recently gone completely virtual instruments and have sold off almost all of my remaining equipment.

You?

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

lucky enough  to record amazing musicians as a job. Like to play...but not to any amazing standard. Kinda jack of all trades , master of none.

Virtual instruments are great ! But i prefer the real thing. You cant beat the sound of a proper old wurli,hammond,rhodes,...everything. But i also appreciate the fact that not evryone can afford or has the space for the real thing.

Its all good...food for the soul
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 04:50:26 PM »

it's funny you say it that way... amongst the gear I've let go has been my old Leslie Proline 800, a clanky old dyno'd suitcase 88, an Oberheim Matrix 12, my DX-7, several modules like the Roland JV-880... I agree there's a warmth there, but it's just monstrously difficult to always get the sound from those boxes that I want. I'm not a techno/trance/electronica kind of player... I like to use my machines to emulate reality as closely as possible, and my experience as a coder/technologist has really helped me here.

What I find today, is that in some ways it's an opposite, yet just as rewarding skill - take an old piece of gear, mic it, noise gate it, get rid of the damn 60Hz hum we picked up at the last gig when it was dropped LOL, work all night to get just the right sound, print it and make it sound production. Or, take cold, calculated unfeeling virtuals, mix and blend till you get a live enough sound. Delightful in either case Wink

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 02:44:51 PM »

Very true about the both sides being right .Thats the good thing about music, there arent any rules... i guess like anything that involves emotion , music is  pretty subjective and depends what mood your in.

cobray
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

The only thing that matters is if the finished product moves you.

"...and each day was a day the others never had, so to the best of my ability, whenever I thought about it, I'd tried to live the days well and to appreciate the extra time." Nelson DeMille
dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »

Cheers for that reply...hadn't been here in quite a while.Forgot what a cool place it is.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »

Welcome back Dee Smiley

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

Cheers Perk !

Your already ruining my life again.... ive just spend about 4 hours catching up reading stuff here.  Wife says  Don't make me...
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »

Your already ruining my life again.... ive just spend about 4 hours catching up reading stuff here.  Wife says  Don't make me...
Just doing my job mate. Sometimes that's why I post from the loo  ROFLMAO

dee
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »

Too much info..... I feel dirty Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »

Devilish

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript