The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: widgets, and how to guarantee that people keep your a href link in there...  (Read 4840 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »

So i just developed a JS widget for a client that works beautiously, thanks partly to perks XRPC stuff. And a partner of the client, who has a different business asked if I could make a highly customizable one for him because, "i can distribute the shit out of that"...

soooo. he is asking price, and I just realized that links can be worth a LOT more than what I would charge.

Normally the widget would be just a <script src="yaddayadda"></script>.
however to get links, I would also need them to include an <a href=".......">awesomeo[/url] of course.

so....

How can I enforce that via javascript?

My thought is that I could check the dom for that link text, and if its not there, don't display the widget.
but I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that at the moment to even determine if that is remotely possible?

because frankly, i hate giviing shit away for a small linkback, and people just delete the link...

thoughts?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »

Nuts -

I'm a few rather many beers into my Friday Night (alas, and yet I code and visit here  Roll Eyes ) so I cannot comment on price vs. links too well ATM, however given some of our discussions, may I suggest that links are neither a reliable asset nor an annuity... I'm thinking of coffee cozies and Bots Dots ... if it has abstract or unquantifiable value then it makes an excellent link swap... if it has real, quantifiable value then SOMEONE is going to make money on it and you should partake. And THAT's an annuity.

More when I'm less silly, if the thread persists...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 08:07:32 PM »

well i guess thats the thought.

this guy has a SHITLOAD of legitimate blogs. basically he runs blogs for clients as PR (press release) generators, among other things.
really the widget would be a grand or so, and frankly i dont think he would be willing to pay that much (though not sure), and instead, and army of links might be much better over the long term. I could aim them at braindonkey and boost my juice for example. which in turn would boost my ranks for my real content pages. So i guess $1000 today, or $10,000 over the long haul potentially. its also not just his stuff. I would also make it available for anyone to use, and his sites would drive that as well...

but the question remains. would it even be enforceable? Which i think it would just based on what I am loosely thinking.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:47:08 PM »

Ah... you're talking about a fixed sum rather than a recurrent piece... that's a little different. I was thinking you could make some pennies off every delivery of your widget... that sort of deal gives me a stiffy.

If it's a one shot, then recurrent links may well be a better deal...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:30:37 PM »

hmm didnt think about the pennies per install... duh. that might fly.

the only downside is that since its JS, they could just steal the whole thing and do it themselves after a little while. with the secondary money avenue via links, I can see it being a little less enticing to screw me, since it costs them nothing.

I also just realized some cookie stuffing potential... not that I would do anything like that...  Roll Eyes

dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 09:34:04 PM »

None o' my bizness, NB's, but you may consider a stipend plus the persistent linky as an option.

There has been some conversation about Giiigle discounting such links.  Don't know if it has any substance, but it may be prudent to prepare for all possibilities.

For example, if the dood won't pay a grand, offer him the deal for 750 plus your linky.  If he still balks, lower it to 500 plus links and tell him to stuff it in his harddrive drop dead if he barters more.

I'd watch the cookies deal closely, if it were me.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:32:41 PM »

i wouldnt do the cookie stuffing. however, a little link clicking or alexa-engineering, etc might be in order.

i like the pay per install idea though, maybe I can swing both. PPI and Link.

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 02:54:41 AM »

In terms of how to make sure the link remains, I like the idea of checking the dom to ensure its a child node of the widget, the only flaw I can see with this is that javascript could inject the link before your script executes which would probably mean its never spidered.

To stop people ripping off your code I'd run everything server side and just use javascript for rendering.

DM
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 06:56:35 AM »

yea, the JS would be for as little as possible. however, some actual functionality has to be JS, since the cross domain policies have to be broken using perks XRPC. The link would be actual HTML that the user would have to paste into the page. Technically they could paste it anywhere on page, and I should be able to find it and wouldnt care where it is.

If exists then render, if not exists then render and error.

turns out we are talking 100's of thousands of domains... lol

dimitry12
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 08:13:28 AM »

one can remove checking code - move to server-side and check referer?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 10:05:33 AM »

Ship the link back from your server as part and parcel of the widget's functionality. Make it so that he'd have to do a pretty complicated hack job to scrub whatever you're returning at load time and remove the link.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:22 AM »

that would be just for humans though, since the link would be in the JS returned, and it wouldnt be in page for spiders. I guess I don't really care about it being too hack-proof. just enough to prevent the average web guy from changing it. and I think checking the dom of the page would work.

they embed the JS chunk.
when the page loads, that JS phones my server, which returns only the code to check for the link and Pass/Fail.
if pass, phone home again for the widget.

i think that will work good enough.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:29:38 PM »

but the question remains. would it even be enforceable? Which i think it would just based on what I am loosely thinking.
Typical cooperate mentality.
Prime example is the wordpress templates, most author puts the links or credits inside a encrypted PHP and they also encrypt part of the template inside of it, so if u pull out the encrypted part, the template will not function properly.

Just encrypt the javascript, with ur own simple encryption of sorts, that way joe idiot can not pull it out.
Don't waste too much time doing this.
That way joe idiot can not just do a cut and paste.

For the guy who can rip appart they encryption, no matter what u do it is a waste of time.
On the other hand he has probably no intrest in ur widget.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript