The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: invisible javascript popup windows?  (Read 5126 times)
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »

Is this possible?  I feel like yes...it it probably is, but searching around for tidbits, a lot of people seem to be under the impression that it isn't...so I'm not sure.

Ideally something that would stay open even after the parent window was closed.  Thoughts or suggestions? 

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »

invisible javascript window? You mean a pop-under that will sell for you after the main window is closed, or a truly invisible thing running after the browser closes? For the most part, if people have popup blocking on, then no matter how they are spawned they will be denied - unless the popup just LOOKS like another window and is actually a z-indexed towards the surfer DIV.

Think you need to flesh out where you're going here a little more Sva...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

It's an experiment on , advertising amazon products via um bakesales =)

My current method is iframe based out of already existing popups/popunders.   I have these feeling that amazon cookies are fairly heavily session related, and I want to experiment with other methods of baking them to find out which ones are tastiest.

Ideally i'd like a window that resided after the pop was closed, that yes was either truly invisible or just placed completely offscreen.  Is that clearer?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

ah. a hidden pop.

most browsers have a minimum window size. like with FF its about 70x70 pixels so it seems.
shooting it off screen however, I dont think you can control the window position, since that would be outside the browser sandbox, and mean you, the evil doer, has a way to control something on my computer. very very bad, and not possible (barring a bug of course)

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
KaptainKrayola
Keeper of Pie
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

you used to be able to move IE windows after you popped them up off the screen but i doubt you can do that anymore.  I seem to remember a tricky little script i wrote to pop a window and hide it at like -9000 x -9000 so it would show up in the taskbar but the window was nowhere to be found on the screen.  don't remember why or when so its probably fixed by now.

We can't stop here, this is bat country.
svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »

yeah, i feel like there must be a way to do it Kaptain, people USED to do it all the time =)   I probably just need to sit down with some JS and starting fishing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript