The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 01:55:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: .complete  (Read 2955 times)
JasonD
Expert

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

FF 1,2 and 3 support it as do WebKit based browsers but IE doesn't.

Do you know a work around?

Thanks

Far too rarely visiting, Jason Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 06:09:07 PM »

Do you need to know when a page has been completely parsed? If you put a tiny javascript at the very end of the page that sets a global variable, and set an interval at the top watching for that variable, then you'd know when the whole thing's been parsed. If you're wanting to know when everything has been downloaded (ie graphics and all) then it's quite a bit tougher. If it is *vital* to know, then you could replace images with source called via javascript, where you *can* get a completed notification when graphics have been loaded.

Another thing in IE is that nothing shows up on the DOM until *after* the whole page has been parsed and processed, so you could set an interval watching for an element on the DOM at the very bottom of the page (say, an invisible DIV id="waitForMe" or something) - when you see that element exist, then the page has been processed. BEAR IN MIND that FF, Safari, any WebKit browser will see that node on the DOM immediately after it's placement in the HTML script - only IE will make you wait for it.

Hope this bumps you in the right direction. I've had to do some similar things, perhaps if you could outline a little more of what you are working on I can assist.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 07:12:19 PM »

i also have done similar things. And I didnt know about .complete. lol

I did the image loader thingy. every required image on the page was retrieved via a serverside code page, and a counter would update. when the count had been met, i then initiated the next step which was to accept an ajax call and process the next stuff.

the thing i never tried, but thought of after the fact, was to src="javascriptfunction". then you could keep all the interaction client side.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
JasonD
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:30:38 AM »

Thank you gents.

I have solved it using a timer - It's ugly and horrible but it is also "good enough" so that will do for now Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

... and you SHOULD stick around more ya bastard... we all miss your brains and tricks.

Will we be seeing you in Ireland?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript