The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 01:08:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey all!  (Read 4366 times)
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2007, 06:52:55 PM »

Where is the Mumps (M) programming section???  Wink

SB
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:01 PM »

lol @ Mumps -

Welcome SB - nice to have you here!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 08:31:31 PM »

Welcome aboard SB, nice to have you here.

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 08:34:44 PM »

lol @ Mumps -

Welcome SB - nice to have you here!

You don't like M?

SB
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »

Actually, unless I'm offbase here, wasn't mumps a DBish language that was around, like, a LONG time ago? I was busting your chops because you sound even older than me...  ROFLMAO I haven't even heard of it in forever... I seem to remember competing systems in PIC or something like that... I did a bunch of work for mail reply houses that used that sort of thing... or am I just old and stupid here?

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 08:44:11 PM »

Welcome aboard SB, nice to have you here.

Cheers,
td

Thanks td.  Good to see you (and your cool avatar) here.

SB
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 08:51:51 PM »

Actually, unless I'm offbase here, wasn't mumps a DBish language that was around, like, a LONG time ago? I was busting your chops because you sound even older than me...  ROFLMAO I haven't even heard of it in forever... I seem to remember competing systems in PIC or something like that... I did a bunch of work for mail reply houses that used that sort of thing... or am I just old and stupid here?

/p

You nailed it.  I loved the terseness of that system and the integral DB support.  Wrote a poker program in like two or three screens (old screens...24 lines each) of code that included ASCII art playing cards that exploded onto the screen in a center outward scrolling fashion.  Dang commands can be abbreviated to one or two characters most of the time (i.e. "if x=1 then ..." becomes "i x=1 t ..." or something like that).  It made for some really crazy, compact code.  Ahh, memories.  Great for list processing type crap too with the DB support.  Just don't "k ^dd" like my buddy did...equates to "kill ^dd"...the data dictionary for the entire Mumps implementation (system and user).  That was a fun day.  Command ran for hours and the restore was even longer.

I thought that would be a good intro for me...dating myself (and you) to all these young uns.  Smiley  They still used it at AmeriTrade as of a handful of years ago...maybe still do (although a more recent version with graphics support).

SB
Caligula
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 09:10:22 PM »

Dude you rocked in Scarface  Grin
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 09:19:32 PM »

I thought that would be a good intro for me...dating myself (and you) to all these young uns.  Smiley 

Awright Mr. Smartypants Wink did you ever work in APL? That was my official first language in about '72... it SUCKED. I still remember being completely baffled most of the time. BASIC came along and that changed everything... but MAN was that tough in the beginning.

/p

thedarkness
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 11:26:12 PM »

DG AOS/VS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOS/VS

You can call me "td the younger" but I wouldn't refer to me as a youngster.  Grin

Cheers,
td

"I want to be the guy my dog thinks I am."
 - Unknown
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 12:25:02 AM »

I thought that would be a good intro for me...dating myself (and you) to all these young uns.  Smiley 

Awright Mr. Smartypants Wink did you ever work in APL? That was my official first language in about '72... it SUCKED. I still remember being completely baffled most of the time. BASIC came along and that changed everything... but MAN was that tough in the beginning.

/p

Maybe I am a young old 'un...I was not even in grade school in '72.  Smiley  I do feel old seeing all these dot-com startup kids.  Ugh.  And td, you are probably a little older too...and/or pretty darned smart for your age seeing the dates of the OS'es in that wiki link.  Smiley

And yes, it was great working with De Palma and Pacino.  I miss the limelight.

SB
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 05:03:25 AM »

welcome here SB

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
StephenBauer
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »

welcome here SB

Thanks Bomps.

SB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript