The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:25:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Evening all...  (Read 4371 times)
REBlogGirl
n00b

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:51 PM »

Over here now.  Thanks for the invite, Perk.

Is this where the real geeks hang?  Fun stuff.

My interest right now is: CAKEPHP- want to know if anyone is working with it and how are you using it?

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:58:38 PM »

Welcome to the Cache REBG.

Never played with it, I'm a completely hand-rolled kind of guy as are most here I think. Personally I've never found a framework that was completely satisfying and that I couldn't do a better job for myself, so I'm not much on that sort of thing.

What is your interest with it? You need to adapt to it, or you think it can cut your workload down or...?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 03:00:46 PM »

What are you saying? Imageek?
Fine I smite you with greater stupification.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:38:50 PM »

I've spent quite sometime looking at frameworks recently and from what I found (although to be fair I didnt actually test it out) CakePHP seems to encourage shortcuts and bad practice - some of the modules are apparently quite badly coded *shrug* - just what I gleaned from reading around, couldnt provide any specific examples. Conversly I've read good things about Symphony which apparently has a steep learning curve but is very capable, planning on giving it a try.

Let us know how you get on with Cake, theres a general 'roll your own' philosophy around here and its always good to get ideas from as many different angles as possible.

DM
REBlogGirl
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »

Symphony doesn't have any rails functionality and we need that to automate the mbc stuff.  Just looking- haven't settled on anything - we have something very large to build with 6 programmers so we need some automation. 

IBM is using cake, so we thought we'd look at it.

dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »

Hi REBlogGirl.

Seem like you're plenty geeky enough to fit right in.

Lurking forward to seeing how low you can go much trouble you get into on this board.  Personally, I find it easy to screw up here.

Repugnicant.  Phewy.  j/k

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »

Symphony doesn't have any rails functionality and we need that to automate the mbc stuff.

mbc? You've just knocked me off the geek scale  Smiley

What type of rails functionality are you thinking of? Active record?

DM
REBlogGirl
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »

Yes, Geeky.  What a sweet talker you are. 

Now onto the meat of these forums.

REBlogGirl
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »

We decided to use Cake after all.  We're doing a ground up re-write of our blogging and social networking platform.  We need rails to automate the tedious db stuff.  Cake ended up being the best tool for the job.  We looked at a lot of different frameworks before making this decision.  The most interesting thing I learned, though, is that Ruby is for retards.  While I love the simplicity of the interfaces it builds so painlessly, any lobotomized monkey with less than 50% of his frontal lobe could use it.  Just look at Twitter.

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 03:13:43 AM »

The most interesting thing I learned, though, is that Ruby is for retards.  While I love the simplicity of the interfaces it builds so painlessly, any lobotomized monkey with less than 50% of his frontal lobe could use it.  Just look at Twitter.

lol I've never used Ruby but you've just put me off for life! Being in the same category as a labotomized monkey is not for me. From my limited reading about Ruby they do seem to sacrifice best practice in favour of developing a simple environment.

Let us know how you get on with Cake, I've decided to go with Zend myself, not sure if it will prove a good choice.

DM
REBlogGirl
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 06:16:58 AM »

We us Zend Studio all the time for other projects.  It's a good quality framework and I definitely recommend it.  It just wasn't appropriate for what we were doing on this project.  All frameworks have their pros and cons, it comes down to which one works best for which project. 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »

DM must be into S&M :p
craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 04:11:38 PM »

welcome
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript