The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:17:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When to buy bp?  (Read 1640 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2010, 08:49:53 PM »

So the stock is tanking.
But eventually, the leak will be sealed, law suits will come and go, and people will forget.

So, when should I buy....

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:14 PM »

Hard to say.
Britain did not look after the north sea fields properly.
So Britain's share will be depleted very soon.

Also I can not remember the exact details but american oil companies where origionaly involved in the discoveries in North Sea, but then the British gov't made them turn over the discoveries to BP.

It all depends on how much the cleanup costs are (or how much BP gets nailed for Smiley)
American oil companies do not want BP to be drilling there, it would be much better if they had the leases Smiley
So use the excuse that BP gets nailed with clean up cost of a zillion $$$ in USA, and then stop BP trading with USA.

Problem with oil is there always is politics involved Smiley.
Big Oil had no problem with Shah of iran doing nasty things to his people, since he had signed oil contracts with them.
But when Iotolah took over, he cancelled all old contracts that Shah made, then all of a sudden he was a bad guy Smiley.

Also i suspect that oil leak is worse then they say, and possibly it could never be capped.
Not easy to cap when it is so deep Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:15:23 PM »

Actually, I'm looking for the company that cleaned up the Exxon Valdez incident. THAT company is about to get a bunch of work I'd wager...

And agree Nuts - provided the gov doesn't take it into receivership it might well be a bounce play. Good eye.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:55:29 AM »

lol @ perks Smiley
Comical story http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2010/5/11/865387/-Fishgrease:-DKos-Booming-School

Anyway in a nutshell they know accidents are going to happen.
Why not have a fucking plan, And have enuff fucking equipment to contain the mess.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 07:02:16 AM »

I was LOL for about half that post Nop, the last half is just horrible. Horrible.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »

Before you start trying to invest in cleanup companies...

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/01/2788927/beware-of-investments-linked-to.html
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »

The problem is all of these oil companies have subsiduaries. So it is like trying to follow a web.
From my limited research, its US assets are held by "BP America holdings Ltd".
So if its assets are siezed by US gov't it will be that part, they can not sieze the assets of the mother company.

Oil company subsiduaries do sneaky accounting games. They sell the oil to the parent company at world price.
But then the parent company sells subsiduary equipment etc at over inflated prices.
The main reason they have subsiduaries is to get around countries ownership laws and limit liability.

To find out if BP is a good deal. You would have to find out thier total reserves.
The calculate what percentage of these reserves are held by BP America.
From an investor perspective, if BP America is siezed by US gov't that might be the time to buy.
The BP parent stock will drop much greater then the percentage of US holdings i am guessing Smiley

Maybe i will become a stock advisor and make a newsletter  which i will sell on a subscription basis:roflmao: ROFLMAO
Wallstreet is the only place where people travel in a Rolls to get advice from someone who goes to work in the subway Smiley
@perks
it was a silly article. It was just funny because of
Since this is your first day of DKos Booming school, you HAVE to fight lets go over some important definitions and oilfield grammar. Rope is not rope. It is fucking rope. All of it. Every yard of rope is fucking rope. Every section of boom is fucking  boom. An anchor block is not an anchor block. It is a fucking anchor block. You get the idea. Later, when you're accustomed to all of this, you can substitute "goddamed", "motherfucking", "piece-of-shit-c*nt" (never understood that one myself) or "cocksucking" for fucking. But for now, it's all fucking.
Mainly because i used to work in a oil lab when i was a kid Smiley

Seriously though. 2/3 of the world is covered by water.
On all sides of the gulf of mexico there are huge oil producers. In the case of the texas fields they are depleted but ...
I think in gulf of mexico there are right now 110 test wells, it stands to reason that the gulf of mexico fields could rival middle east.
This there might be accidents BS is silly. Figure out ways so in the event of an accident, you can minimize the damage etc.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 06:54:04 PM »

Never.  It's a stock.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript