The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 11:54:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Too exciting a day... or Why I Carry a Smart Phone.  (Read 2827 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:56:18 PM »

So I'm walking around at one of my radiation oncology clients' today.
BANG. Emergency lights, nothing else. "This isn't good..."

The chiller for the linear accelerator has been acting up: men on the roof were working on it. Silly workmen. Bad to let hot end of 480V compressor touch ground.

The group moves with chaotic, but purposeful direction: Out come the battery operated Geiger counters. Boom go the releases on the 600lb solid lead containment doors. A couple techs and physicists push open the massive chunks of lead that lead us into the 8' thick concrete walled vault of the accelerator, where an old woman was in the middle of treatment. Scared to death now, because when I say inky darkness, you ain't seen dark until you've been in a cave like that... zero light. Zero. But what leads the way so that we can help said kindly old lady from the treatment table? FiatLux ... a flashlight app on my iPhone.

15 minutes later... servers are getting close to blowing out their batteries. The control system for the brachytherapy vault is about to go down. Fortunately, the iridium source is retracted into it's holding cell before it's batts go out, so the room is dead. But the control screen is about to go down, and it is the only remaining record of the dosage and exposure she's received so far... Click! Click! Click! goes the iPhone camera, then emailed off to the notebook. When power returns, the images are printed and the woman's treatment is recalculated and back online.

As power is returning the phone tells me as our various WiFi spots come back up ... I test for connectivity and plumbing to get everything back out to the net. Ping the servers, SSH in and ask them if they are OK. After about 5 minutes of dancing, they are OK.

This is not about the i in iPhone because that's immaterial ... only that I love having a tiny computer in my pocket that is ALSO a phone. There are so many other instances where smart phones help us out... I was just really pleased today.

All is well and things have relaxed as we got power back, patients secured and systems back up and running, but MAN that made for an interesting mid-day.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 02:30:29 PM »

Holy crap. I guess it was a good idea to not come down and do the server today...   

600lb door closing, kind of brings on visions of raiders of the lost ark. Only other thing needed would be a big ass ball-o-death rolling towards you.

good quick thinking on the snapping of a photo.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »

Holy crap. I guess it was a good idea to not come down and do the server today...   
Right you are. I am only now finished with getting the EMR system back online... the spontaneous power surge, blink and boom RFd the services on the primary DB, so even though they were up, the services that, um, serve, were not serving.

600lb door closing, kind of brings on visions of raiders of the lost ark. Only other thing needed would be a big ass ball-o-death rolling towards you.
Actually they were all already closed, because the rooms were live. It was to get in at the patients that we needed to pop them and push them open. Man, you know what that LinAcc looks like anyway ... going from scared shit of the radiation to BoomBangBlack and silent in that cave must've been pretty disturbing.

good quick thinking on the snapping of a photo.
Thanks, wish I could take credit. One of the techs hollared GET A CAMERA GET A CAMERA and that's when I thought of the phone. I was just the implementation of another's excellent idea Smiley That said, betcha won't catch me missing that solution again in the future...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:56:39 PM »

i can imagine. That would be very fucked up to be in there, getting nuked, and then bam the lights go out.
I think my first thought would have been "holy shit they just severed something important, like my brainstem."

That chick prolly could use an ice cream and hug.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »

I think my first thought would have been "holy shit they just severed something important, like my brainstem."
I wish that wasn't funny. No friggin' lie.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »

though, not being a patient, there are FAR MORE TERRIFYING rooms in that place in the event of power fail.
Like the caths. Actually, as a patient, if they were inserted... holy crap, i have decided. I am NEVER getting cancer. It has been decided.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 03:31:00 PM »

holy crap, i have decided. I am NEVER getting cancer. It has been decided.

I'll hold you to it Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 12:41:14 AM »

For some reason I chuckle when I think Obama with red big ear costume standing in the hospital checking servers with iPhone and SSH.

"Yes we can connect! The power is back!"

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »

Oh man that is a funny image.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 09:45:57 AM »

That reminds me of the time I had to restore our entire IT infrastructure using only a paperclip, a rare earth magnet, and a hard disk platter.

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:49:13 AM »

That reminds me of the time I had to restore our entire IT infrastructure using only a paperclip, a rare earth magnet, and a hard disk platter.
And you had munchies and ate the paperclip and the magnet and ended up going to White Castle instead of fixing the damn thing?

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:56:33 AM »

You don't know me well enough, my friend.  doesn't give you the munchies after you get used to it, but it does make you completely unaware of the fact that you're hungry since you're so used to it. I forget to eat a lot lately. Just completely slips my mind and then I'm all "why does my stomach hurt?"

hai
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »

You don't know me well enough, my friend.  doesn't give you the munchies after you get used to it, but it does make you completely unaware of the fact that you're hungry since you're so used to it. I forget to eat a lot lately. Just completely slips my mind and then I'm all "why does my stomach hurt?"
My bet is that sooner than later you start to counter the effect you get from if you start to forget to eat. I mean that your thinking is going get worse because nutrition is not balanced or not existing at all. Not to get all preachy but if you truly want to get the best performance out of yourself, it takes work and planning on all sides. If makes you focus better but you forget to eat properly == not good. If you can't focus but eat properly == not good.

It's all about balance. And I actually share you "effects" with It also makes me able to focus on one thing instead of multiprocessing every at once and then nothing gets done.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 11:20:03 AM »

Yeah, I know. I'm not really "healthy skinny" right now. I'm not unhealthy either, just a guy who has to spend too much time sitting in front of a computer.

Well, I've been taking long walks. Maybe I'll start lifting again.

I really just don't have much of an appetite anymore, unless it's a special occasion or something. I pretty much live on red bull and water lol.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript