The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:50:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: To rack or not to rack? with mini's that is.  (Read 2238 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »

So perk, I been churning a bit on the rack situation. and minis.

One thing that has occurred to me about the minis, and something you said today made me rethink it again.
The mini's of course are great, however, a few things might make them a little less than stellar.
they are not flexible.
annoying to upgrade, and only limited to 2gb.
they are a specific form factor that might not exist at some point.

Another issue is the OS. Sure, its linux/bsd and it works well. however, it is not quite "standard". The one thing I realized is this. lets say you start setting up some minis. And, maybe have 3 going. then, apple decides to no longer make minis, or anything small... Now you are buying other miniPCs, to keep the mantra going. But guess what? they are not running OSx... Or even something similar, with its quirks. You are now running some other linux/bsd variant. That seems a bit confusing to me. Probably not really, but still, not really kosher to me from an enterprise view.

So...

You mentioned the rack guys tend to be able to get junk-out hardware.
old servers. I wonder if there is good stuff, 1 gen old, that could be under $500 for a 1u? It seems that would be better. A true server, rail mounted, upgradable, and "proper".

do you think it's possible they have access to that kind of stuff. Im gonna check ebay as well, but curious about local.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:07:12 PM »

because i like to talk to myself...

I been poking around.
I didnt realize that you could get barebones 1U's. LOL
so...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816110011
its an AMD machine, but, who cares.
200 bucks

plus 2 dualcore Opterons http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819105130
@ $140ea = $280

Ram is basically free @13 bucks a gig for Crucial... lets say 4 gigs to start.
2 160gb drives for $40ea.

so... $612

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »

When you're ready to go, I'll connect you with The Guy re. junk CPUs and we can see what's available. The only deal is that I often get different vintage/make/model hardware, which doesn't bother me - but given your comment about Minis and them not being standard to your other boxes, this might you. Justathought.

There's stuff out there and I think you're probably in the pocket. Or we might even do better.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »

oh i dont give a crap about the hardware, except for the form factors if even.
my point was more about the mini, kind of dictating the use of OSx, just because it is a tad silly to use anything else, since afterall, it comes with the damn OS. Also the difficulty in upgrading (since i would never pay Apple, $75 for an extra gig I could get for $12).

for the same price I could get a rail mounted 1u with way more juice. that was all.

but hell, I would take old shit anyday for pennies on the dollar.
1 current machine for $600 or 4 older ones for $100 each... duh. no brainer.
1 webserver, 2 DB servers and who knows what else.
or a cluster.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:57:24 AM »

Don't buy crappy RAM. Timings are a big deal, and crappy RAM is crappy not because it's slow, but because of the reasons it is slow.

Most of my server boxes have ECC RAM, though I don't know if that matters much anymore.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »

i agree. but crucial doesnt sell crappy ram, at least for the most part.

My point was, 8 low end machines are cheaper and more powerful than 1 high end machine.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »

... excellent attitude NBs - totally agree and I do much the same. Better to build load balancing on multiple machines in from day one, so that you're more stable and secure instantly than to rely on one big potential point of failure.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:02:42 AM »

@600 bucks the machine becomes basically disposable. plus, the machine can handle bigger procs and more ram, so... when prices drop, or things go on clearance. UPGRADE TIME!!!

I used to do it with my whitebox machines I built, and would even do it for clients, back in the day. I would pick a great MoBo, but put in low end proc and ram to save them up front cash. then in a year, upgrade them without any installs. Wink
worked great. 1 year later, I would call and tell them that upgrading now would get them a 2 times faster machine, but cost 1/4 of what it would have 1 year ago. they always said yes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript