The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 12:36:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: this guy either knows a lot about holding alligator snapping turtles or  (Read 1067 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:04 PM »

jack-shit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/7759553/Rare-alligator-snapping-turtle-caught-in-Chinese-lake.html

I'm voting jack-shit. We have 'em here. Saw a dinner-plate sized one just yesterday down by the canal. But they can flash from docile to attack-mode in a heartbeat and their neck is actually waaaaaaay longer that what that ol' boy has stuck out in the pix.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:35:10 PM »

I had a similar ah-ha when I was taking a giant waterbug I caught in a jar and was showing it to people in an office in Minnesota asking what it was.  This one girl literally ran screaming saying "what the hell are you doing!  Get it out of here NOW!!!"

Bugs of the family Belostomatidae are fierce predators which stalk, capture and feed on aquatic crustaceans, fish and amphibians. They often lie motionless at the bottom of a body of water, attached to various objects, where they wait for prey to come near. They then strike, injecting a powerful digestive saliva with their mandible, and sucking out the liquefied remains. Their bite is considered one of the most painful that can be inflicted by any insect (the Schmidt Sting Pain Index excludes insects other than Hymenoptera);

In English here's the scoop, no pun intended.  They fly extremely fast when they want to and land on your neck with extremely wicked looking barbs while injecting you with the most painful sting that any known insect can possibly inflict on you.  Then while fish-hooked deeply into your neck it proceeds to feast on your flesh, because it's a meat eater.  Their heads move like a small gray alien and their legs seem more like a remote control spider than anything organic.  Anyway, I read up about them after I took the lid off and stoopidly chucked the nasty bastard into the air.  I think I almost fainted when I realized they were far more than nasty looking  D'oh!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:52:59 PM »

> injecting a powerful digestive saliva with their mandible, and sucking out the liquefied remains

MMMMM! Nothing better than liquefied remains. Zombie movies need to work that action into the so-called plot.

The alligator snapper is less dramatic, preferring a simple finger amputation technique.  Quick, but not particularly neat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript