The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:34:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: the ECOMONY  (Read 1375 times)
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:00:45 AM »

Ok no matter where I go people are making keeping their job their job and not just doing their job.  I mean you can make money just pulling weeds... if you actually pull them and not spend the day writing a business plan or emailing everyone about the one weed everyone pulled together.

but still as a contractor by providing a real service for my
customers im making money.... so bullshit.

I go to a business as an employee and the only REAL BUSINESS
GOING ON is people who make keeping their job their job and
not doing their job ... which IMO should be to make your boss
money so you will be favored when you want a raise later on...

I just see people spending their whole days checking their bank
accounts, getting each other fired, hoarding the secret codes
to the computer systems/office procedures so that they wont
be the next to get fired and hovering around the area
where  the one guy in the shop is actually doing the work.
  (see: jammaster82's law of road repair: it takes 9 guys leaning on
 a shovel to help pray for the guy in the hole doing all the work)

And i think that's whats wrong with the economy... I think if people
just stop listening to the fear propaganda the SURVIVORS of this
SHIT STREAM will be the ones who just go to work everyday and
do the job they would do if it was THEIR money that would go
to waste if they don't make money for the company.

Wake up, America this is all bullshit and if you just do a job well
and its worth something to someone they will pay you what you are
worth.    Everywhere i go just reminds me of a crab trap i caught whilst wading through the backwater with a mud filled boat propellor and motor in tow....  The buoy had been cut by a prop long ago and since it was low tide and i was wading i was the only one to find it... 

.... and it just reminds me of the mindset of the people EVERYWHERE I GO AS OF LATE:

THAT ONE BIG FAT CRAB SITTING ON TOP OF THE SHELLS OF ALL HIS FRIENDS... WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO COME IN THE DOOR LOOKING FOR AN OPPORTUNITY.

Makes me so damn sick i just want to eat a whole carton of ex lax and put my butt in a straight jacket.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:06:36 AM »

Agree its annoying and stupid and bad business etc. But, I can relate to the "my job is to keep my job" mindset, and that those people need to to just look busy, instead of actually producing. And in marketing I see it ALOT.

An employee wants to do a good job, but is terrified they will mess up.
People who get fired are the ones on the radar.

You would also think that making your boss lots of money should keep your job or increase your pay... But it doesn't. Some owners/bosses maybe, but most, no way. I increased my previous employer's revenue over $40 million dollars in under 1 year. Me, my ideas, my code, someone elses graphic design, my UI, my backend, all me. I got a 3% raise, grudgingly.

I think as a contractor/freelancer/self employed, the relationship to pay-for-performance is much more obvious to both parties. You get underpaid, you walk away, usually with little heart ache because you have other clients. They think you suck, they drop you. They think your awesome, they will do anything to keep you. When you are an employee though, you lose that respect/leverage from your "bosses", because after all, you need that job since its the only one you have...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 09:10:47 AM »

@ FUD: I agree for the most part - it is true that there are a lot of people out there without work, and in some cases it's tough because they are untrained to do anything else, have debt that cannot be managed without a certain level of income etc, so they are in real trouble. My heart goes out to them, but I also agree with you: find a job and work. There is work out there - it might be "below you" but there are ways of slowing the descent.

I worry at the untrained part, which is why I am always working to learn The New Language Structure or whatever is out there, to make sure that I am at least reasonably contemporary - it's pretty hard. Most of you young'uns are probably able to deeply grok stuff in days that might take me a couple weeks to really get my arms around. Frustrating, but there you go.

And I am 100%++ in agreement that friggin' CNN and Fox et al are responsible for so much of the national attitude. Of course, hope doesn't really sell - it's easier to sell advertising when you have the dramatic "Bum ba-dum dum" of strings in some minor key supported by warlike drums and horns, leading into a story like, "Why we're all going to die slowly and painfully in a firestorm of fluterroravalancheearthquakemonsoontornadofinancialwreackage, just after this..."

That shit bothers me to no end.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »

I worry at the untrained part, which is why I am always working to learn The New Language Structure or whatever is out there, to make sure that I am at least reasonably contemporary - it's pretty hard. Most of you young'uns are probably able to deeply grok stuff in days that might take me a couple weeks to really get my arms around. Frustrating, but there you go.

this is why I am starting to consider outsourcing my code, and have started buying/using off the shelf packages for commonplace things like email blasting and CMS. Instead I can then focus on using my skills that will never become outdated or at least are easier to keep up to date, like UI useability, architecture, application design. I have a feeling we are going to run into a too many indians and not enough chiefs situation in the next 10 years. So I wanna be a chief.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript