The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:30:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Study: Insurance companies hold billions in fast food stock  (Read 3706 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2010, 01:27:00 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/15/insurance.fast.food.stock/

According to Harvard Medical School researchers, 11 large companies that offer life, disability, or health insurance owned about $1.9 billion in stock in the five largest fast-food companies as of June 2009.

The same can be said for judges owning stock in private companies that build prisons.  But don't worry, the market will handle itself  Roll Eyes

Is there any doubt that health medical insurance companies have our best interests in mind?  I hope so.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:00:15 PM »

Holy smokes what a find, thanks ITTO. Freakin' sick, that is. Expected, i suppose, but sick.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:59 AM »

That's how money plays Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:28:57 AM »

So what are they gonna slowly take all the delicious saturated
fat taste out of the fast food so that people wont be hitting them up
for cardiograms down the line?

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:18:42 AM »

Insurance wants more tests and sicker customers so they can justify higher premiums to hide higher profits.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:30:13 AM »

I'm going to write that article off as "overly politically correct."  While I agree that fast meals (and much of what's not-so-fast) aren't necessarily healthy for all who partake, neither is -say- wine.  Or table salt. Or extremely hot sauces that literally come with hazard warnings.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

Overly politically correct  Undecided  Food can't claim to be disenfranchised   ROFLMAO 

Medical insurance companies investing billions in any massive food conglomerate is questionable at best.  Finding out they focus on fast-food?  Priceless.  And I don't think we're dealing with a "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" situation either.  First it's fast-food and then what?  Hot sauce with warnings??  Suicide wings?  And Christ what about wine??  None of these should even be on the investment radar of the very companies responsible for safeguarding our health through medical treatment - especially when profits rise when health deteriorates  Angry

Medical insurance companies should be "investing" in health, period.  Yet as it stands today, health is the enemy of profit, just as abundance is currency's worst enemy.

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:16:00 PM »

>especially when profits rise when health deteriorates

That would be the health care provider, not the insurer. The insurer makes their money by ditching unhealthy clients while collecting fees from those who do not use any services.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:35:33 PM »

Directly yes.  But if everyone was healthy we wouldn't need a medical insurance plan for anything but extreme health emergencies, like car accidents.  Otherwise we would all die of natural causes and wouldn't spend an arm and a leg on Phen Phen.

The diabetes industry is bumpin, much to the pleasure of McDonald's and insurance companies with their ever-increasing rates that they simply "must" charge to cover their "losses."  Sarcasm

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:12 PM »

Nah, you're wide of the mark on this one, ITTO.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

Nah, you're wide of the mark on this one, ITTO.

That's probably because I think money has no business playing anywhere near health.  Operating on someone after securing the lowest possible bid for the surgery, or even various parts of the surgery, is just fundamentally wrong in my view.  But my worldview is quite different from most Wink

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:53 PM »

That's probably because I think money has no business playing anywhere near health.
Well money doesn't have any business in politics either but you still live in the country where money is the politics Smiley Here it's not as bad even we have our share of politicians getting busted of taking alledged bribes. In my opinion politics should be another "calling" profession like being a nurse or some other sort of humanitarian worker. Pay is always shit but you do it because you love it. Same should happen with politics. Before that happens we won't ever have democracy that actually does what majority wants and what's best for people. Now it's all about what politicians wants and political success is measured on how well you can explain your actions to majority (usually by saying another thing and doing another thing).

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »

"Money doesn't have any business in politics but you live in the country where money IS the politics." -kurdt

Congrats, kurdt. You just made my quote file.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

>Well money doesn't have any business in politics either but you still live in the country where money is the politics

Trust me, I've considered leaving many times.  I take the good with the bad and try to improve the place where I live which is currently America.  But money is God here, and it makes me ill  Vomit

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

money is god everywhere, but some countries god is not taken as seriously.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript