The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 06:03:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SquareTrade iPad insurance: Win!  (Read 5403 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »

For the first time in my mobile digital life I purchased insurance on my iPad2. Not sure why exactly, except that the notion of accidentally dropping it or something seems proportionate to the amount spent. So I got it for both PinkHat and me.

So I'm on a road trip, need to use it for a demo: "No Sim Card Installed." WTF? Take it to Apple and notice (OK, I MAY have noticed this earlier) that there's a pretty healthy dent in the corner where the SIM card is installed. Pretty healthy indeed. I do not remember dropping it, but not remembering something is hardly cause for amazement anymore.

Anyhoo, the Apple guys reset the network settings and all seems well. Last night, spontaneously, same thing. Call Apple: They say that it's probably the structure that holds the SIM and there's not really a reasonable repair procedure for it - it's going to be a bit expensive since the casing is dented as well.

So I go grab some lube, bend over and call Square Trade, where I purchased my insurance. Pleasant guy on the phone asks the circumstance, asks for the original receipt (That's where it could get dicey for some folks - all mine are in an email folder directly from Apple and I never throw them away) - he approves complete reimbursement, is sending a call tag for UPS shipment of mine to him and has issued a check. I'm off to Apple to go get another iPad.

It was that simple. I'm most impressed. They offer insurance on virtually all home appliances, mobiles, you name it. On this experience I recommend them for your future insurance needs.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »

That's great to know, Perks.  When I move to iPad 3  Grin I will consider taking advantage of SquareTrade.

Glad you had such a good experience!
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

Just recalled your experience and decided to buy the SquareTrade coverage on my new iPad.  Hope I never need it, but it's nice peace-of-mind.  I bought the two year policy, figuring that in two years it'll be time to trade up.

Btw, I found a promo code (40ipad3) which brought the price down to $79 for two years of coverage, which I thought was pretty reasonable. 

Apple now covers up to two incidents of accidental damage during the two years of AppleCare+ coverage, which is $99, and maybe that would have been a better alternative; I'd forgotten about their addition of accident coverage until after I bought.  But I'm unlikely to need the extended support coverage so I still think the SquareTrade coverage is a better deal at 20% less.  But at their regular price of $119, maybe not so much.
allanwiller
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 12:46:40 AM »

So you've just purchased the latest New iPad with all the bells and whistles, but have you gotten your New iPad insurance as well? If you haven't, then you run the risk of having to fork out another four to five hundred pounds on a replacement for your shiny new toy should it get stolen or damaged in any way.

24 hour ban - no links please
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 02:10:40 AM by Bompa » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript