The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:28:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: So Thats Why I Can't Finish My Daily TODO List!  (Read 1652 times)
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »

WASHINGTON ...the day just got a tiny bit shorter because of Friday's giant earthquake off the coast of Japan.

NASA geophysicist Richard Gross calculated that Earth's rotation sped up by 1.6 microseconds. That's because of the shift in Earth's mass caused by the 8.9-magnitude earthquake. A microsecond is one-millionth of a second.

That change in rotation speed is slightly more than the one caused by last year's larger Chile earthquake. But 2004's bigger Sumatra earthquake caused a 6.8-microsecond shortening of the day.

read more...

Anyways, Japan is in big trouble over there.  Well prepared for quakes, but no defense for a major tsunami.

Now they are facing a possible meltdown of at least one reactor, maybe two.

It does seem to me that they could have built the emergency cooling generators up off the ground
or is some sort of water proof area or containment thingamabob.

Oh wait, it probably was not in the budget.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:43:55 PM by Bompa » Logged

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:52:11 PM »

manohman its gonna be a mess over there.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »

Nuclear power is quite a long-term responsibility.  It's safer for the environment in terms of immediate pollution levels during production but the storage of the waste produced and management of the reactors in cases like these cause great concern.

I think we're fortunate more meltdowns (pardon the pun) haven't occurred after the fall of the Soviet Union since financial support is critical to maintain the plants.

But the video in Japan of the tsunami is just jaw dropping.  My heart goes out to all who've passed and those who remain in sadness.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »

Now they are reporting that there are three reactors failing and likely to melt down.  One or two of them may already be in meltdown, I have a feeling they are delaying status updates so they can figure out what to tell people. 

They have also announced that another explosion is likely.  Scary stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript