The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:46:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: so far, not seeing huge after-christmas sales out in the bricks  (Read 1370 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »

I haven't really seen any articles addressing this yet, so it's just a casual observation.

I've only been in a few stores myself after christmas but even in the final shopping days before christmas the shelves looked sparce. I think the merchants kept the inventory rock-bottom this season.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

I've seen the same thing.  I half expected to hear the drama on the news about "the worst Christmas ever" but haven't seen anything yet.  Health care bill and tension in the middle east.  What else is new?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:10:04 AM »

>"the worst Christmas ever"

From the merchant's perspective, if they were to hit the sweet spot on price-point & inventory balance so that there was just enough to satisfy demand without having to resort to draconian price cuts to induce customers to haul the crap away then the retail profit should be maximized.  The flip side is that consumers, of course, will be bitchin' that there were/are no deals.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 12:55:44 AM »

i noticed this too, then i realize all the real deals can be found by just buyin unwanted gifts off ebay and cl hahah.... Also, I noticed only TWO santa hats being worn by people this year.   Wheres the christmas spirit?

Aside from the growing demonic despair-glare that i just get generally from people as  our economy continues to flush itself down the ethereal toilet bowl.

The economys ugly head is showing itself.  I know some unemployed people who cant even get hired at MCDONALDS.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 09:35:21 AM »

some confirmation of my observation here:

Bonanza eludes America’s bargain-hunters

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article6969957.ece

BUT there are also many news stories about US shoppers swarming out for bargains.  I think these stories are mostly the routine, canned post-christmas news article but it's too soon to tell, I guess.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript