The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 12:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: So, can you go 7 years without making an emergency 9-1-1 call?  (Read 3824 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2010, 02:40:51 PM »

If so, you could save a few bucks.

http://cbs13.com/local/tracy.911.calls.2.1502690.html
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 04:22:55 PM »

Hmm, I think I've gone 46 years without making a 911 call.  Maybe they'll send ME a check.
 Devilish
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:11:50 PM »

Wow that's retarded. I have called 911 dozens of times in my life, but never for myself. So now I would have to worry about getting chardged for being a good citizen if I lived there?! Just wow...They are definatley going to see
a decrease in calls, and increase in deaths. Death costs tax payers more than stupid 911 calls...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »

We're going to be fee'd-to-death as the state and local governments (most are required by charter to maintain a balanced budget) try to replace lost sales tax, property tax, etc.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »

It's simply funny to me that people think our society runs for free. Or should. PAY NO TAXES. Right. Then we get stuck in the butt for 911 calls.

It costs to exist ... as a nation, a state, a community and a member of the community. No amount of Palinesque blather can remove the requirement.

Only make us feel worse about it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »

It's simply funny to me that people think our society runs for free. Or should. PAY NO TAXES. Right. Then we get stuck in the butt for 911 calls.

It costs to exist ... as a nation, a state, a community and a member of the community. No amount of Palinesque blather can remove the requirement.
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Wonder why there is not $$$ for shit like 911 calls, and other basic services ?
Well .....
US bank bailout could cost $23.7 trillion
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2009/jul2009/tarp-j22.shtml
Well there is where your hard taxpayer $$$ goes.

I have nothing against paying taxes, just paying taxes for BS.

Why do the banks in USA and Europe require bailouts ?
Not because of lack of gov't regulation but because of too much regulation and mainly deposit insurance.

As early as 1990s experts where warning.
Regulatory Moral Hazard: The Real Moral Hazard in Federal Deposit Insurance
http://www.independent.org/publications/tir/article.asp?a=288
Many banking experts hold that deposit insurance induces banks to take unwise risks. However, the real problem with deposit insurance is that it shifts the cost of regulatory error to the nation’s surviving banks—a problem preventable with privatized banking regulation and “cross guarantees.”

In a nutshell, deposit insurance causes the banks to make riskier and riskier loans. If the loans are successful, bank makes huge profits. If loans fail, who gives a shit, bank gets a bailout.

In PH and Singapore, where there is no bank regulation at all, no major bank has failed in the last 10+ years.
But again in PH the maximum amount you can borrow from a bank is 60% of property value.
Also in PH bank will not lend $$$ to you if you can not show how you will pay $$$ back.
And banks here generally speaking will not lend for more then 10 years loans.

These are not federal regulations, these are rules that banks here have made to police themselves.
When i spoke to several bank manager friends of mine about the ease in which you can get a bank loan in American, that you can borrow up to 90%+ of value of property etc, they where shocked/baffled.

Another problem with american police is 75%+ of calls are for domestic violence, or other types of petty crimes.
PH solution is the barangy (community). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barangay
Each barangy has a captain, and like 5-10 tanod.
The tanod is a volunteer policeman (or police woman) Smiley appointed by the barangy officals.
He recieves a small stripend every month, but he mainly does the job because of the prestige given. Also he is not allowed to use firearms, he is only issued with a night stick.

Every night 2 tanods will parole the barangy. Thier main job is to stop children from doing pretty crimes like vandalism etc. Also if they hear a domestic dispute (as in a couple yelling at each other), they will pop in to see no one is getting hurt. Also lets say NB sees some suspicious looking characters hanging out (anyone from another barangy who is not part of this barangy is suspicious), so NB will then SMS one of the tannods, they will come ask the guy, what is he doing in this barangy etc.

Again the tanod's job is not to stop terrorists, but to stop the real police from being bothered by those 75% of "real police" time wasters. If he sees a "real crime" taking place, he then contacts the "real police" who comes with guns and fixes the problem Smiley.

Also with courts in America, 75% of cases are BS cases. 2 people mad at each other over something petty. So my big rottie goes out and bites the shit out of perk's little dog. Perk then comes to me and states he wants compensation. But perks comes to me in a belligerant manner (he is angry about his dog getting hurt). I get angry at perk's belligerant manner and tell him to fuk off.

So perks will then contact the barangy captain. The captain will come talk to me personally to try and resolve difference. At this point captain might suggest I pay 3x times vet fees etc. I then appologize to perks to tell him i am sorry, and promise to keep my dog tied up. But i say no.

So perks will then most likely, go to barangy, launch offical complaint against me. We both will get offical summons to appear before the councial at a certain date, ussually 2 weeks after incident. (they usually delay a week or 2 to wait for both sides temper to cool).

We both go before councial. Again it is not like a "court", purpose is to resolve difference. So perks tells his story. I tell mine. Councial then will make a "recomendation". In this case I should pay 5x vet fees, because perks had to spend $$$ taking dog to vet, loss of time etc. But perks has to appologize to me for being belligerant.
Both of us have option to take recomendation, if not happy we then can file in a real court.
But by this time we both have calmed down. So I pay perks the $$$$, perks tells me he is very sorry for being angry. I tell perks I am sorry for telling him to fuk off etc etc. And we now are good friends again. So I invite perks over to my house for drinks Smiley.

Barangy solves the 75% of BS cases that ties down the police and court system. Also since members of barangy councial are members of community, they do a much better job. It is in thier best interests.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »

It's completely ridiculous policy changes like this that cause some people to wake up, but for the most part people remain completely unchanged in their views of how society should work.  Of course it costs money to run the country.  But when we spend ridiculous sums of money bailing out corporations who's leaders continue to take massive bonuses and even more in golden parachutes, it makes this type of situation even more infuriating. 

In this instance, the burden of having no funds belongs to those calling emergency because, for example, they're about to be stabbed to death or possibly have a house on fire, with children about to burn, and/or any other thing you might care about to make this point more clear personally.

Yes it's frustrating as hell and I'm personally not worried about the pre-pay option or the $300 hit if/when I might need the service.  But when people's homes burn down or during robberies and even that other r-word I promised to not use on the Cache happen and people are too afraid to get stuck with the 911 bill to call in?  it reminds me of the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWc3WY3fuZU

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:04:12 AM »

It's completely ridiculous policy changes like this that cause some people to wake up, but for the most part people remain completely unchanged in their views of how society should work.  Of course it costs money to run the country.  But when we spend ridiculous sums of money bailing out corporations who's leaders continue to take massive bonuses and even more in golden parachutes, it makes this type of situation even more infuriating. 

People are dumber then shit.
And of all people's the vast majority of americans are the silliest.
Just tell them USA is the greatest country in the world, thier standard of living is much better in USA then singapore (even if the facts are the opposite) and they will believe it.

It is amazing of what stupidity most americans will believe Smiley.
I love americans Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »

Then of course, there are those of us that have traveled a tremendous amount and know of what we speak.

In many ways, America is one of the greatest places in the world to live. You are correct, that most believe because they've been told it. But I've had to deal with the chapped ass of international toilet paper enough to know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps the most important point to me is not "Mine is Better" but what value do all/any countries offer? I can tell you that with the exception perhaps of Zambia (and I'm sure there is some, I just didn't see it), I've found beauty and wonderfulness, in one way or another, in every country I've been to. And it is the hanging out in other countries that has made me love what I have in the US as well. IMO the biggest failing os Americans is that we honestly believe the world revolves around us. Unfortunately, in some ways it does. That's why we hired Dubya and there is an amount of people that are interested in Palin. It's almost jingoistic, the intensity of the stupidity and univision.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 04:10:25 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 02:35:34 PM »

>Perhaps the most important point to me is not "Mine is Better" but what value do all/any countries offer?

Exactly.  Also, the degree of difference between various cultures and the propensity of the individual to prefer X over Y, not to mention family ties, makes one's judgement of "better" little more than entirely subjective.  Of course there are countries where it's commonplace for people to break up their families and wait 10 years to get citizenship in other countries, such as is the case today in Vietnam.  In places where freedoms are the most restricted you find people the most willing and desperate to leave.

But from a first world perspective, the US ranks 7'th out of the top 194 with France, Australia and Switzerland taking the top three slots respectively.  The Philippines lives pretty far down this list though.  Sorry nop  Undecided

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »

But from a first world perspective, the US ranks 7'th out of the top 194 with France, Australia and Switzerland taking the top three slots respectively.
There's funny things in that list. Like how they rate climate based on temperature. I would HATE South Africa's climate but according to that list it has the second best climate in the world. Then again I would probably like the weather in Los Angeles, not too hot and not too cold. They explain climate rate like this: "When deciding on a score for each country’s climate, we look at its average annual rainfall and average temperature…and consider its risk for natural disasters.". So the more moisture and more heat the better Cheesy

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 03:41:27 PM »

It's true that even breaking it down further it's all still subjective.  But I think it's worth noting that for Freedom, America is tied with 19 other countries in 46th place.  We're spoiled, glutinous, safe and well monitored children here.  As perks points out, it's why dubbya could even get voted in.  Many other countries score 100 in safety and freedom, which is worth considering before surrendering freedoms for the promise of increased security.

Another desirable factor, the cost of living, puts Iraq in 1'st place.  So it's the balance of each.  But as for climate, I think LA's climate sucks  ROFLMAO  Smog filled skies, always on the hot side and it seems like it never rains.  Year after year of this and believe me, it's not a climate choice I'd make.  Currently I'm madly in love with the climate in San Jose though.  It gets cooler, skies are seriously clean and things actually change (rain, wind, calm, hot, etc.)

EDIT: If the Environment is important to you, the United States ranks 145'th, Health 41'st, and cost of living is 108'th.  There is, however, one column that the US is better than the rest of the world, hands down: Infrastructure.  Many other countries score a 100 for safety but we do lead with infrastructure.  Perhaps it's why we get confused for being the "best"  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 03:52:19 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »

It's true that even breaking it down further it's all still subjective.  But I think it's worth noting that for Freedom, America is tied with 19 other countries in 46th place.  We're spoiled, glutinous, safe and well monitored children here.  As perks points out, it's why dubbya could even get voted in.  Many other countries score 100 in safety and freedom, which is worth considering before surrendering freedoms for the promise of increased security.
We got rated 100 too in both security and in freedom but still we have the most guns per citizen in the world Cheesy

Another desirable factor, the cost of living, puts Iraq in 1'st place.  So it's the balance of each.  But as for climate, I think LA's climate sucks  ROFLMAO  Smog filled skies, always on the hot side and it seems like it never rains.  Year after year of this and believe me, it's not a climate choice I'd make.  Currently I'm madly in love with the climate in San Jose though.  It gets cooler, skies are seriously clean and things actually change (rain, wind, calm, hot, etc.)
Actually I said Los Angeles because my knowledge of America's climate is this: New York - little too cold, Los Angeles - always sunny California, Colorado - mountains and wolfs, Mexico border - It's so hot everything is yellow like in Traffic Cheesy I have only been in New York and even I love the place, I would probably be new yorker if I would have to live in US but the weather is a bit too cold. I live now in Helsinki and we have pretty much the same weather as Montreal. So we don't have polar bears walking on the streets or anything like that Wink

EDIT: If the Environment is important to you, the United States ranks 145'th, Health 41'st, and cost of living is 108'th.  There is, however, one column that the US is better than the rest of the world, hands down: Infrastructure.  Many other countries score a 100 for safety but we do lead with infrastructure.  Perhaps it's why we get confused for being the "best"  Undecided
Can't say much about this but I can say that sometimes it seems that you guys don't use your infrastructure to the fullest potential. Good example is your checks and how money flows. Checks were the big thing here in the 80s but today nobody uses them. In Finland money moves only in bits and we have gotten used to it that no matter who sends you money and where, it will be on your bank account the next day. You can't even pay rent with cash here. Cash is only good for shopping, everything else you must pay thru banks. And because banks are pushing online banking heavily, I think majority of finnish people use only online bank because there's no reason to visit bank, ever. Unless you want to negotiate a loan or something.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 01:56:18 AM »

Very interesting how this thread from my post seems to have turned from the issue that in USA you have to pay for basic services that even 3rd world countries like PH have, to which is the best country to live in.

All I was offering was a solution which is very economical, which a 3rd world country happens to use to solve a social problem.

Anyway as any person who has ever studied statistics knows, you have to "index" results to determine which system is better.

So if you where to study which country has the best system, well in USA and Canada they have the most resources per capita. PH is probably the size of texas, has less natural resources, and 20x the population.

Also I can not find the study. But it showed that filipino living in the philippines are the happiest in the world. But then again how can you measure something like that ?

Perhaps the most important point to me is not "Mine is Better" but what value do all/any countries offer? I can tell you that with the exception perhaps of Zambia (and I'm sure there is some, I just didn't see it), I've found beauty and wonderfulness, in one way or another, in every country I've been to. And it is the hanging out in other countries that has made me love what I have in the US as well. IMO the biggest failing os Americans is that we honestly believe the world revolves around us. Unfortunately, in some ways it does.

Pretty much what perks saids Smiley.
Bottom line is that USA today is a world power. 50+ years ago it was britain. 50+ years ago Brits thought the world revolved around them.

Every place has problems Smiley. Problems are a fact of life. God knows that PH has tons of problems from natural disasters etc. But in life it is how one deals with problems. And filipinos are very good at dealing with problems  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

I think to some degree filipinos are more honest then americans. As in filipinos who have worked abroad etc, can rant on for hours what is wrong with PH. And yet when they all get old, they all move back to PH Smiley

Actually according to this survey PH is one of the most honest countries in the world.
http://www.tourism-review.com/article/1231-top-10-most-honest-cities-in-the-world

A figure like life expectancy for example.
In USA average life expectancy is like 75 years, while in PH it is only like 60+ years.
So based on that figure, you would say that USA is a much better place to live, then PH.
But what use is living that extra 15+ years if you are not happy ? Or if you spend that extra 15+ years alone, uncared for and in an old folks home.

I remember when i first came here, I was visiting a friend who is quite prosperous (he is an international airline pilot for PAL). Anyway while I was in, these people rushed into his house, and asked right away if they could borrow his jeepney (he has a car, and a jeep). Anyway he gave them the keys and away they went. It turns out that one of the people in the community was suffering from intestine cancer, and was failing. So the people had borrowed the jeepney so they could go to the hospital and buy O2 for him. But by the time they arrived back, the man had already died. It turns out that they people who went to buy the O2 where not even related to the man. My friend who lent his jeepney was not related to the man. Many of the people who where looking after the man where not related to him.

It was time for me to go home. And so my friend was driving me home. On the way home, I noticed that my friend was sad. I then told my friend that this man was very fortunate to die in PH. When people die in america no one really seems to care.

You see that of all the people in PH the one who are the most unhappy are expats. Here are people who because of thier $$$ go a lot further in PH then in USA, can have luxary you can not imagion. And yet they are unhappy. The biggest problem is that in USA (but other western countries), people seem to think that all things have a price tag on them. That $$$$ can buy anything. If anything that is the greatest evil that has come from the western world Smiley.

I am not saying money is evil. No, money is a tool, like a hammer, a saw etc. But it is the belief that money can solve all problems.

Sometimes with my filipino friends, I go down to my "secret videoke" spot. Ok by western standards, it is just a shack on the beach. Inside the shack is just a videoke machine. Sometimes I buy a litre of fundadore brandy and share it with my friends. (they like fundadore since it is spanish brandy and very expensive ~$10). Or sometimes they do not have $$$ for the videoke. So I reach into my pocket and pull out a 50 peso bill (~$1). With that i get 10 5 peso coins. So $1 = 10 songs Smiley.

My friends then ask me to sing 2 songs. Ok I am not a very good singer, but they get a great thrill having a foriegner sing Smiley. I then put the 8 other coins on the table and ask them to sing songs. 8 other people will sing songs. For only a $1 many people are happy Smiley. I guess you can put a price on the "happiness" by saying it is only a $1 Smiley.

I am not sure what they lesson is from the above story  ROFLMAO
All i know is that is why I live in PH and not in america  ROFLMAO
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:33:51 AM »

It was time for me to go home. And so my friend was driving me home. On the way home, I noticed that my friend was sad. I then told my friend that this man was very fortunate to die in PH. When people die in america no one really seems to care.
This is way overly broad. One thing that people who live in smaller countries do not get is the extraordinary breadth in both size and attitude of the American populace. Could your statement be made about people living in Manhatten? Most probably. Los Angeles? Again, almost certainly. But any number of communities around the country that are not that large and cynical? I don't think so. In fact, I find that people here in the US are just as generous and willing as anywhere else I've been. Provided you're talking to the right people. There are also the biggest asshats on the face of the planet here. No excuses for our asshats, but I'd not agree that generally, Americans are cynical and unsympathetic or involved, and other countries are.

You see that of all the people in PH the one who are the most unhappy are expats. Here are people who because of thier $$$ go a lot further in PH then in USA, can have luxary you can not imagion. And yet they are unhappy. The biggest problem is that in USA (but other western countries), people seem to think that all things have a price tag on them. That $$$$ can buy anything. If anything that is the greatest evil that has come from the western world Smiley.
Again, IMO, we have more than our fair share of people like that (particularly because the marketing culture of the US predisposes us to that attitude) but I'd not say that generally, all people are like that. And beyond that, I'd say that people who only understand price, not value are not an American phenom - I find that in every country I've ever been to.

I'd like to get there to experience your adopted country someday, Nop.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript