The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 05:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: skinput  (Read 1311 times)
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2010, 04:13:19 AM »

Morris believes Skinput will make computing accessible to people in a way that never would have been possible before.

With Skinput, "literally, computing is always available," he said.

A person might walk toward their home, Harrison said, tap their palm to unlock the door and then tap some virtual buttons on their arms to turn on the TV and start flipping through channels.

"It's almost like magic," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3XPUdW9Ryg

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/04/19/microsoft.skinput/

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 05:35:55 AM »

Yeah, saw that project while back. It's pretty interesting but yet again it fails on one important aspect: the projection device requires absolute positioning. This same issue has plagued many interesting technologies lately. Technology that relies on projection is problematic because you have to have the projection device placed so that you get the wanted image where you need it. Now with skinput it means that you'll have to put something on your arm. What happens when it nudges a little and now it projects the image way off. Put jacket on and it's blocked completely and so on. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the idea of skinput but it's yet again one of those ideas that have very little change of working in real-life situation.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:46:37 AM »

Now with skinput it means that you'll have to put something on your arm. What happens when it nudges a little and now it projects the image way off.

prolly same thing that happened when i added paypal mobile to my palm pilot...
accidentally fat fingered a big purchase... hahahaha

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:16:58 AM »

And another issue that came to mind was that how do you move around with this thing? Try to walk around and use some imaginary menu structure on your arm like they show on the video. The more I think about skinput, the more I realize that this isn't gonna work and the only way to get reasonable skinput is with nanorobots that make images on your skin and react when you push the skin and fraction happens. When you can get nanorobots to do images in your skin, tattoo artists are going to stab someone Cheesy

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript