The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:28:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: RIAA - Tips for Parents  (Read 3823 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:23:37 PM »

Couldn't resist  ROFLMAO

TIPS FOR PARENTS
1. Talk with the music lovers in your home
Understand how your children are using the computer and how they
access and share music and what else on the computer might be
accessible to others. Discuss copyright and who loses out when
songs get distributed for free on the Internet. Consider what would
happen if you faced legal action who would pay the bill or lose out
if their Internet access was disconnected?

Anyone ever seen Refer Madness?  ROFLMAO  Shouldn't somebody actually understand Copyright before trying to educate their kids about it?

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 02:37:22 PM »

Try telling someone that paying for Limewire Pro doesn't give them rights to the music.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »

Sort of a parallel -

We just don't do music-pirate in my home. I've spent a lot of time talking with the kids about the correctness of paying artists for their work. The iTunes rules (which we use here) says our 5 family members can share anything, but not to give it to anyone else. Since all 3 kids are musicians and have watched Dad all of their lives, they have a strong sense of paying artists for their work. I am most proud.

And irrespective of the current law, copyright or whatever, I think that that this way of thinking is really important. Why should we/they expect anyone to value their time and effort if they don't? I am certain that, given the poverty of early 20s and college days etc, that they'll definitely do their share of pirating, but hopefully the ultimate lesson will stick with them and they'll behave the right way when they are able.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »

Music pirating wasn't a mainstream issue back when my kids were at home. Napster and Limewire hit after they were off at college. But the house rules have always been that you had to own the work before you could make a copy for your own use.

With the rise of media centers, I'm currently seeing more issues develop around tv programs and movies ...with torrents being the big supplier.

<added>
To be fair, the old VHS rules allowing copying of TV shows and even TiVo have muddied the rights issue.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:07:20 PM by rcjordan » Logged
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »

@perks - after seeing your response I had a big whoops!  I know about the values you instill in your kids and I couldn't agree more with them.  This is about the RIAA telling you what to tell your kids, with nothing but their own self interest in mind.  So to your post I'll shout back with a huge  Ditto

@rc -

But the house rules have always been that you had to own the work before you could make a copy for your own use.

Applause

As it should be IMO.  And to this point:

Music pirating wasn't a mainstream issue back when my kids were at home

That's a funny thing worth deep consideration, funny as in maddening.  People used to be able to copy music onto cassette tapes without fear of imprisonment and/or being considered a "Pirate" by their peers, parents and society.  What changed?  Are kids just becoming Pirates at a higher rate??  Ya'll know my opinion: Greedy record companies - not artists - decided that someone being able to enjoy "their" music on a quality DAT threatened their profits and the continued domination of the art they pimped out.  Art they never created yet pimped for profits.  The careers of artists rose and fell at their command.  Heck without an art-pimp you could really get hurt out there, regardless of talent, effort, etc. etc.

In reality, the way the law is currently interpreted the best advice for kids would probably be "Jesus Christ hell no don't Pirate music you nasty little Pirate... terrible bad... bad horrible loser person Pirate!" since bankruptcy awaits the unlucky few made as examples simply to secure this wretched system we tacitly condone.  Good, solid values you both have shared should never be hijacked by profiteers attempting to make something "good" into something "bad" just to secure their pimpdom 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:09:50 AM »

Anyone ever seen Refer Madness? 
I love reefer madness.
I wonder what type of weed they used in reefer madness.
Must have been a lot better then what i seemed to be able to get.
The few times I ever smoked up, all it seemed to do was make me eat a lot and then sleep.
Rather disappointing.

On a whole the narcotics I have tried never seem anything like the warnings.
On a whole I am rather disappointed in narcotics in general Sad
Maybe I can sue makers of reefer madness and thier type for false advertising.
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:42:23 AM »

"Once, I sat in a dark room with electrodes attached to my testicles, and a projector showing slides.  A slide came up showing someone paying for their download - and I got a cracker ..."

ITTO - expound from here!

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »

"Once, I sat in a dark room with electrodes attached to my testicles, and a projector showing slides.  A slide came up showing someone paying for their download - and I got a cracker ..."

"I was then presented with a picture of someone smiling, and installing a trial version of MS Office 2007 - and I got a cracker...  next came a picture of someone illegally downloading Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition... and I was given another delicious cracker.  Then I saw a picture of a cracker - and my nuts were electrocuted."

lamontagne
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

Sort of a parallel -

We just don't do music-pirate in my home. I've spent a lot of time talking with the kids about the correctness of paying artists for their work. The iTunes rules (which we use here) says our 5 family members can share anything, but not to give it to anyone else. Since all 3 kids are musicians and have watched Dad all of their lives, they have a strong sense of paying artists for their work. I am most proud.

And irrespective of the current law, copyright or whatever, I think that that this way of thinking is really important. Why should we/they expect anyone to value their time and effort if they don't? I am certain that, given the poverty of early 20s and college days etc, that they'll definitely do their share of pirating, but hopefully the ultimate lesson will stick with them and they'll behave the right way when they are able.

That's funny words coming from someone who helps other people scrape the fuckin internet to re-use it for their own profit.

Rap artists = blackhat of the music world. just take a bit of someone elses work, take another bit from someone else... apply a few changes to make it unique and bam...

"Long time no see. I only pray the caliber of your questions has improved." - Kevin Smith
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »

That's funny words coming from someone who helps other people scrape the fuckin internet to re-use it for their own profit.

LOL. Note: "Music pirate." And it's important the kids do as I say, not as I do Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:55:48 PM »

Then I saw a picture of a cracker - and my nuts were electrocuted."

JTFC ... I'm cryin' over here!   ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

ITTO --- you've still got it!  Praise

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »

Then I saw a picture of a cracker - and my nuts were electrocuted."

JTFC ... I'm cryin' over here!   ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

ITTO --- you've still got it!  Praise

Thank you sir!  I haven't thought about that one since I was like 17-18 years old I believe.  Talk about getting old, when I was responding I almost went straight to the nut zapper when a slide of an illegal download was shown.  Then I remembered - oh shit, the cracker zaps the nuts!!  I laughed so hard it's like someone else told it to me for the first time.  Alzheimer's makes everything so fresh and new  ROFLMAO

May yours and your family's be forever large and angry Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

>jairez

All of us were camping in Mexico on the beach (Ponzer was there too and we were like 18 years old), having quite a stumbling amount of alcohol when Ron asked something like: "Hey!  Why do you guys get all the cold beers and we get the fuckin warm ones damn it??  Shit... fuck, dude, man.... cuz I'm jus sayin...."

I responded: "Because we're large and imperialistic, and you're small and agricultural."  I think we all pissed ourselves.  I was amazed I could even form a complete sentence  ROFLMAO

jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:27 PM »

Because we're large and imperialistic, and you're small and agricultural.

Praise Dude ... Over the years, I've gotten more mileage outta that than probably any saying I have in my verbal quiver!  Praise

I think I had MD 20/20 go 1around the world on me for that one! 

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

1 in your mouth and out your nose ... for they who are small and agricultural.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 11:33:00 PM »

"I was then presented with a picture of someone smiling, and installing a trial version of MS Office 2007 - and I got a cracker...  next came a picture of someone illegally downloading Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Edition... and I was given another delicious cracker.  Then I saw a picture of a cracker - and my nuts were electrocuted."

My nuts getting electrocuted felt really good and it was free to boot. I then discovered every time I downloaded illegal software or music my nuts would get electrocuted. So I went online and downloaded every illegal thing I could find. Now I have all sorts of free software and music on my puter. And the money I used to have to pay mamasan so she could get a girl to electrocute my nuts, well I say that money also. Mamasan is very angry about people getting thier nuts electrocuted for free, she thinks that is just not right Sad
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript