The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:18:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: perks resistance to google but yet mobile me?  (Read 2769 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

Ok. explain young man.

WTF?  All your client docs are on mobile me?!?!
You have no problem with hosting your shit on mobile me, but yet you get the willies about google docs???

please kind sir, splain u self!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

Fair question.

No marketing or distillation clause in the MM EULA. It's my private space. Now: Can they use it for what they want and do it anyway? Yeah, perhaps. But the contract reads that they have no right or license to anything that is private - they can scrape anything that I put in the public sphere (if I use iWeb for example) - but not the private stuff.

It's more of a hosting contract, where Google is more of a service where the "fee" is that they get to scrape, interpret your stuff and market to you based upon that. Oh, and anything else that they see fit to do with the data. So, although I understand your point from a "My data is in the cloud" perspective, the very intent of the contract (and differences thereof) describe why I'm happy with Apple and not Google.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »

i get it. delusional, but I get it Tongue

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:46:01 AM »

i get it. delusional, but I get it Tongue
I love delusional people, especially religous fanatics.
You can point out blatant facts like
http://www.silicon.com/technology/networks/2006/01/13/apple-under-fire-for-harvesting-itunes-user-data-39155600/
And if they got nailed doing it 4 years ago, u can be sure they are doing similar shit today.

But despite the obvious evidence they will still keep on blabbing away about how their religion supports "freedom".
No our religion does not oppress women, it is just in God's eyes they should be kept at home barefoot and preggo.

Even more comical is when u start comparing religion X with religion Y.
In this case the fanatic starts to show how religion X (his religion) is much better then religion Y, even if they are doing the exact same shit.

I myself are rather confused why it is ok for apple to collect user data on a program it forces u to use, while when google does the same thing it is evil.
The problem is that i need to open my heart to Steve Jobs.
Once you let Steve into your heart, you become borne again.
And then u will be able to see while apple stealing user data is for only good purposes, while google doing it is evil.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:32:01 AM »

I'm quoting ITTO here: "closed source".

My opinion is that unless your data is encrypted with a passphrase only you know, you can't be sure your data isn't getting read. I don't trust contracts, EULAs or other bullshit T&Cs or privacy policies. All big companies are promising privacy and getting busted in frequent intervals for using private data.

It seems people have forgotten the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me".

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »

ROFLMAO 

If I truly got the willies using Google docs and felt confident and calm using MM in terms of security, I'd reassess my assessments of true concern versus blind allegiance 

However, legally there is a very important and distinct difference between both EULAs.  This matters tremendously to the street, auditors and your ability to get sued.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »

Although it is clear that companies may be absolutely as corrupt as we might imagine here, it is a challenge for a group of people that would espouse the benefits of the cloud.

If we can no longer trust any company that provides a service, we must in fact shut ourselves down.

I get to be in a place where I take vendors at their legal word. Google says they will, Apple says they wont. Apple is clear that they will with iTunes, it's in the EULA and it is agreed upon when you first fire it up. Especially if you're using the store or Genius. But to live in the assumption that Apple would state things one way legally, then provide a service where they casually discard that structure (especially since they are a public company) makes the rest of the 'net world a very, very difficult place to hang.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »

Although it is clear that companies may be absolutely as corrupt as we might imagine here, it is a challenge for a group of people that would espouse the benefits of the cloud.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but it seems you're suggesting a conflict in those who would espouse the benefits of cloud while also realizing the inherent security risks.

>If we can no longer trust any company that provides a service, we must in fact shut ourselves down.

Of course we can "trust" other companies.  We can also be realistic about the potential use/misuse of the data handled by them.  Some have greater risks than others.  Compare MailChimp to Iron Mountain, for example.  But to refuse Google docs on the basis of the security of data alone, yet to trust other basically identical players for same, reveals an exaggerated concern between you and Google that outpaces reality, imho.

And legally speaking, if you trust what Google is saying then rest peacefully at night since they would never ever do anything with your data outside of the realm of profiling you for possible future sales Wink  In truth, if you follow your own logic this is the case.  The extent of what Google would do with your data according to their EULA is all about profiling and upselling potential.  But do you actually believe that???  ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 12:18:59 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean here, but it seems you're suggesting a conflict in those who would espouse the benefits of cloud while also realizing the inherent security risks.

>If we can no longer trust any company that provides a service, we must in fact shut ourselves down.

Of course we can "trust" other companies.  We can also be realistic about the potential use/misuse of the data handled by them.  Some have greater risks than others.  Compare MailChimp to Iron Mountain, for example.  But to refuse Google docs on the basis of the security of data alone, yet to trust other basically identical players for same, reveals an exaggerated concern between you and Google that outpaces reality, imho.
Google has demonstrated, time and time again, a nasty habit of cheating people out of their money. They've given plenty reason to distrust them. Much moreso than Apple has, and particularly with this sort of service.

Yes, I am saying that there is an inherent conflict - you know I'm in the process of building something that will be in a position to be under the same scrutiny. It's important and was not directed at you at all. It's sort of a shout to the universe that the cloud is going to change how we behave ... and how we do things. It's both exhilarating and frightening.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:35:01 PM »

It's sort of a shout to the universe that the cloud is going to change how we behave ... and how we do things. It's both exhilarating and frightening.

Ah gotcha.  Let me know if you need help with your trust-fall into the cost effective arms of Google Docs Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 03:05:24 PM »

Ah gotcha.  Let me know if you need help with your trust-fall into the cost effective arms of Google Docs Wink
Oh thanks, I appreciate it. I'll let you know.  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript