The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 06:25:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perkiset's new home...  (Read 2571 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:28:13 PM »

About 70% of my servers have now made the move from our old host to the new one, which can be seen here: http://www.iodatacenters.com/about-io/media-library.php Another somebody here did as well but I'll let them take up that discussion Wink The remaining servers will move soon or atrophy at the old place until decommissioned. Kind of a watershed moment, as I've been with our old host for close to a decade.

I believe our hosting will be considerably more stable and quick - early indications are that it will be exactly that. Please let me know if you have challenges.

Thanks!
/p

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:31:27 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 02:16:18 PM »

who me? i have no idea what your talking about.  Roll Eyes

before:

after:

neighbor:

They served their purpose well, but alas, the purpose has changed, and moved to the next stage.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

oh and yes, everything is WAY faster it seems. all my sites are smokin downloads. and cache is flyin. Is it possible that that switch we are on is that much better? cant be. It has to be edge routers at IO vs GN.

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:37:01 PM »

That new center looks AWESOME!... i wish i had a job working there in a white coat
with a clipboard... doing nothing, of course.  maybe looking at blinking lights and checking
boxes if i got bored....

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »

GREAT shots nuts ... Man we've been there a long time.

::clink:: cheers mate, here's to the new deal 

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 10:22:22 PM »

And yes nuts everything seems to be running way faster, and much more consistently quick as well. Although the new switches are certainly faster, Our stuff is now behind 2 (technically 3 because of the backplane jump) switch hops and 2 firewall boxes/routers before it gets out - which is double the previous segment we were on ... Could be network hops and how close we are to the spine now. Dunno, but given the difference in monthly rate I'd certainly expect we'd have a speed benefit Wink
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 10:23:53 PM by perkiset » Logged

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 01:51:34 AM »

Looks very good and Cache has been nicely fast. Can you tell how much rack space are you using right now? Just out of curiosity Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 07:41:39 AM »

Actually in deployment for web between us, 7U... Lol

A bunch of unused web machines, which are being repurposed are in there as well.

We have 2 42U racks. About 50% full for perks big med client and our new business.if things go the way I am assuming, the racks will empty out a little first, then will start filling up and hopefully max out and need more space Smiley

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »

Minor correction nuts, 2 at 45 Smiley

K when nuts and I are at day one with the new venture, I expect we'll have about 40-50u used, spread across the two racks as he's mentioned. But that includes switching, patch panels etc. Nuts and I have devised a brilliant (if I do say so myself) cloud that let's us expand almost effortlessly into more CPU or more storage, or both u by u.

I'd love to have to do what CBS just did right next to us - they caged in 47 (47?? Yep. Counted again) thermo cabs next to us. Pallets of rails lol, stacks and stacks of HP DL380s with 8 300g SAS drives in them. Kind of a weird configuration, actually - not maxxed out storage per box (you can go 16 2.5s in a 380) but big enough that it's some sort of storage off-board of a SAN. Love to find out more about what they're up to. 

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

That's awesome perks!  And I love the before and after shots.  Hey wait a minute, I know that neighbor! Wink 

Love thy neighbor  ROFLMAO

* Hackathon 2010.png (766.93 KB, 752x492 - viewed 154 times.)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »

I'm still amazed that's you, with both an iPad AND a smile  ROFLMAO

I'd love to get into their rack and see if it's all donated sh!t or shiny new shinyshiny. In any case, I'd say Nuts and I've certainly picked the right neighborhood Wink   

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 03:07:21 PM »

I'm still amazed that's you, with both an iPad AND a smile  ROFLMAO

I dont know, the smile after the ipad:

ROFLMAO

The smile before the ipad:

* Business.png (258.87 KB, 500x500 - viewed 146 times.)

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 10:29:06 PM »

...and the smile before the smile

* ITTO - the early days.jpg (54.05 KB, 406x604 - viewed 165 times.)

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript