The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:43:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Patents are good mmmmkay....  (Read 2558 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2009/10/nokia-sues-apple-for-patent-infringement/

This should be an interesting thread Roll Eyes

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:39:31 PM »

Nokia has finally hit the rock bottom. They have been really pathetic for the last 5-7 years and now this is basically clear sign from them that they give up. What a pathetic piece of shit and I'm ashamed that they are originally finnish company. I don't have anything against suing for big thefts like let's say somebody stole Coca-cola's recipe but suing over little things just to cause some problems and cheat, that's just pathetic.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »

I didn't see one there, but does anyone know what the art of the 10 patents was? It certainly can't be, "a device with icons on the front..."

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:17:49 AM »

I didn't see one there, but does anyone know what the art of the 10 patents was? It certainly can't be, "a device with icons on the front..."

Sorry man.  Shit like this turns my stomach so bad it's hard to go deep into it.  I've spent countless dedicated days defending patents and working tirelessly to help my company slither around existing patents, or defend against frivolous suits.  A few times I went to Manhattan, NY and spent a week at a time with $1,000 per hour lawyers in attempts to collect cash from companies who "violated our patents" and also with opposing lawyers who were trying to redirect our revenue stream to their company because of stupid obscure "place holder" patents.

I was always the chief architect who's word about the underlying technologies of my company at the time (Digital Angel) had legal weight.

This is why I have such a strong negative view of patents.  There's a kernel of good original intentions with the patent system but it's nothing but a cesspool of legal filth these days.  Nobody stands a chance in hell to be a good, honest patent holder and win against the patent vampires.  Therefore, the original good intentions of the system are practically impossible to uphold.

The deepest pockets almost always win 

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »

Hard to say.
Qualcomm sued nokia over a bunch of GSM patents.
Nokia agreed to pay
October 2008, Nokia announced it will make a one time payment of $2.29 billion (US) to Qualcomm as part of its patent agreement with the company.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:58:18 PM »

Hard to say.
Qualcomm sued nokia over a bunch of GSM patents.
Nokia agreed to pay
October 2008, Nokia announced it will make a one time payment of $2.29 billion (US) to Qualcomm as part of its patent agreement with the company.

I'm going back on my previous statement (Patents are good mmmmkay....)  Patents, or more accurately, patent law sucks!!

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 12:37:14 AM »

Classic: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/24/nokia-patent-app-reveals-dreams-of-pressure-sensitive-multitouch/

The text in bold caught my eye:

Nokia's no stranger to the patent application process here in the United States, and while we've certainly seen some strange ones emanating from its R&D labs, this one looks like something that should be implemented on the double. Explained as a "user interface for controlling an electronic device," the multitouch solution would essentially allow you to pinch, zoom and rotate objects as usual, but it would also employ an array of pressure sensors in order to give your motions a sense of severity. If executed properly, one could theoretically envision the use of a strong push to simulate a double tap (for example), or as a means to activate a secondary function that generally requires another button press or the use of a 'Function' key. Hit the read link for all the mumbo jumbo, but be sure to keep your expectations within check. Or not.

Here's the rub.  This is a pro patent leaning article yet doesn't seem to realize the irony of it's own recommendation: "this one looks like something that should be implemented on the double."

Why would anyone want to implement a patent "on the double?" Huh?  Have faith.  I'm sure it's to secure their lifelong contribution to their craft Roll Eyes

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »

No lie ... this goes right at (someone's) statement earlier that you can't patent an idea ... I thought you really needed to invent something.

I mean for example, lots of people wanted to patent the alternate speed windshield wiper, but what actually got the patent was one that really existed and really worked.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 10:09:36 AM »

No lie ... this goes right at (someone's) statement earlier that you can't patent an idea ... I thought you really needed to invent something.

Ah ha!  So that's the giant difference in our understanding which makes far more sense to me.

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO EXIST.  I know this for a fact since most all of the patents I've been deeply involved with were for "inventions" that had yet to come into physical existence.

Hell if it had to exist that would be a different thing altogether.  Nope.  Patents are for "inventions" that may be in the "process of being built", somewhere on the horizon, who knows maybe never, etc. but definitely does NOT have to be a physical thing.  Think about it.  You can get a patent through the mail with nothing but chicken scratch sketches of the "invention."  This patent will be legally binding to anyone who subsequently "steals your hard work" and actually PRODUCES something.

Placeholder patents man, placeholder patents.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 10:15:53 AM by isthisthingon » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:16:11 PM »

I know almost nothing about it, and yes this would explain a lot: I really had assumed that there must be SOMETHING demonstrable about your patent, not just chicken scrawl. Yes, that makes makes simply for squat patents and the resulting patent trolls. Horrible.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO EXIST
Placeholder patents man, placeholder patents.

Nothing new about that.
This is especially true in the field of weapons.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »

This is especially true in the field of weapons.

Didn't know there was a difference.  But I've seen the most amazing patent hunts when people were either trying to secure a new patent or simply to avoid paying someone for the right to produce and distribute some kind of device.  Nokia has the audacity to claim patent infringement now??  The delay should somehow be grounds for a statute of limitations IMO. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript