The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 05:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Palm Pre thoughts?  (Read 2742 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »

Looks well thought out, though it probably can't beat the iphone. but possibly android, which still seems to be lagging a bit in comparison.

http://gizmodo.com/5270403/palm-pre-walkthrough-in-video

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »

The search features are powerful.  Wonder what the final form-factor will look like.  Emulators are misleading when it comes to data entry.  I like the keyboard on my Blackberry Curve better than an all touch screen.  My old phone (The VX6700) was nice for typing but it dropped calls like crazy (Verizon).  It was such a brick I might as well have lugged my laptop around!

Now using Skype primarily for calls that's what I frequently do, especially when away on business.  Best quality I've ever had - even through a wi-fi while on a WebEx/GoToMeeting.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:50:56 PM »

the phone
http://www.palm.com/us/products/phones/pre/

and

http://gizmodo.com/5126702/palm-pre-preview-simply-amazing

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »

Ahhhhhhh... slide-out keyboard.  MUCH nicer than touch-screen only IMO.

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:13:21 AM »

Yes, i agree either one is awesome ..

Most people dont realize their is an air card built
into the palms you can access through either usb or
bluetooth..

through either bluetooth or USB .... hitting 3g networks
getting like 115k down not too shabby...

http://www.mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

dial 611 and ask the tech dept your DUN username and
password and your good to go...

Idea...

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »

if you get a good signal to a tower you can use skype to make calls through the DUN service ... skype to skype is crystal clear.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:16:25 AM »

Looks well thought out, though it probably can't beat the iphone. but possibly android, which still seems to be lagging a bit in comparison.

http://gizmodo.com/5270403/palm-pre-walkthrough-in-video

id rather have an eee pc and a palm than a phone thats trying to be a computer or the other way around .... you need a computer
the pda is a step backwards IMO like a 9" touch eee pc would be
perfect with a bluetooth keyboard

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

Yep, trying to go toe-to-toe with the iPhone: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/052809-sprint-future.html?netht=ts_052909&nladname=052909dailynewsamal

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »

the iPhone has really raised the bar. I am SO looking forward to watching the competition between the likes of the pre, the new Android phones, the upcoming iPhone refresh, the rumored media tablet ... I disagree with JM - I think people would LOVE to have a computer in their (phoneish device) rather than even having to carry around an EEE.

I was sitting in the airport last night, reading my mail, USNews, Facebook, the boards etc etc on my phone and was just slightly bugged at how small it all was... and then I (got) the Kindle. It's true: I am suddenly in a place that, if the screen was just about 10" (what the rumored media table will be) I'd be willing and in fact just fine with reading everything on a device, rather than paper. I don't enjoy having to bring my notebook with me, and if I had a TRULY portable keyboard with enough processor to get what I need done with just a phone, I'd be right there.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 09:06:31 AM »

with a 3 or 4g air card and any portable pc what couldnt you do with the thin client idea? the iphone can actually also be used as an air card but i dont know exactly how to do it cause i stay away from software prisons.

Devilish

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:45:39 AM »

There were a number of ways to use the iPhone as an air card but don't do it over EDGE it's just painful.

The first way, and imo the easiest to setup, was to start an SSH daemon on the iPhone, connect to an ad-hoc wifi network between your PC and iPhone, and then make your browser tunnel through the phone. It had to be jailbroken to work. I wish I could find a one-click tethering solution in the app store but so far I've come up empty.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript