The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:24:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: online backup services, opinions?  (Read 9068 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »

OK, so the idea of my house burning down, or getting robbed, or any other crazy shit and a timely article got me thinking about an off site backup.

sure I can do something like put a puter in my folks house and backup to them, but that just sounds a little too ghetto, and I don't trust my parents...

So i was curious what thoughts are of using an online backup service like
carbonite.com
mozy.com
backblaze.com

basically $5/month for unlimited storage, and easy as dirt backup software. Mozy seems the most "with it" and has a mac and pc version which is nice in this house...

thoughts?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »

some i know used carbonite, gave it good reviews ...but that was 2 years ago.

how about 2 locals (rotated) AND 1 remote? that's what i'm doing (no macs, though). remote is just monthly to my server using syncback and tunnelier

see old tw thread

http://www.threadwatch.org/node/11727
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »

its more a matter of that I am lazy, just like every other techy. I try to be good about it, but I just can't. I have realtime backups running, but thats to a drive 1 foot away from my PC. most of my really important stuff is online anyway, since thats the work I do.

But i am kind of thinking, a place to save personal stuff, like music,movies, etc. plus all my business stuff goes along for the ride. I just can never remember to swap out the "daily backup", which would stay in my house anyway, because I don't go out every day, or even every week.

dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »

Never tired it but some guys I know just take all their stuffs and zip it up then email it to themselves at their gmail acct.

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:13:48 PM »

yea, the email to yourself option aint gonna happen in this house. even if I could automate that, just 1 of my wife's project folders would blow the gmail account...

jungle disk (mentioned in that TW thread rc mentioned), which uses amazon s3 also sounds cool, because you pay for what you use, but... $5/month is gonna be damn hard to beat. considering her work folder is over 100 gigs, at 15 cents a gig a month, thats 15 bucks right there, not counting the upload costs of 10c a gig. mine is about 2 gigs.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:15:20 PM »

rsync custom solution in the cage to a dedicated box and a once-a-week download to my primary box and then on to another permanent box. Works well, but requires my vigilance, which sux.

But it's interesting you brought this up, because I'm considering Moby as the Grandfather part of a Grandfather-Father-Son backup model as well. I like the notion of a completely objective 3-rd party backup which is outside my capability to f$%kup. Download the cage master to the Mac, them off again to Moby. I'm probably at about 65-70% decided. Have you liked/disliked any of the primary contenders, and why?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:33 AM »

actually thats the main reason for me as well. A service, that is completely out of my control, that I can't fuck up. I strive for the Zero-Worry-System in everything I can, and those services seem to fit the bill.

If i only had a few megs of backup, i would use jungle disk, since it's cheap and you pay for what you eat.

mozy, like i said, look the most "with it" but carbonite has been around longer. Backblaze is the newest, so realistically they are probably out.

for you though it seems that Mozy is the requirement out of those 3, since they already do mac. blaze is in beta, and carbonite says "whats a mac?"

I guess though, in the end it doesn't matter how stable they are as a company, since the likelyhood of them closing doors right when you have a failure is really small. mozy has been around a while though.
EMC thought enough of them to buy them.

The bad...
It seems they all suck at restoring... LOL
whats the point in backing up if you can't restore???
Mozy, seems to excel at having this problem...

so maybe mozy is out... off to check out others.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:00:49 AM by nutballs » Logged

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 08:00:40 AM »

hmmm.... it seems that backup gets pretty damn expensive to be reliable.

maybe jungle disk is the way to go... though that is really gonna get pricey.

hell if your getting over $500/year, the "buy a computer and put in a friends house option is looking a bit more attractive... Or just buy a 1TB NAS for under $300.
CrashPlan.com seems to be the best option for that.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »

eeek... my last 1.5TB drive was only 449, sits right beside my other drives and does FW2 @ 800MBs.

Perhaps its just a big-ol' RAID-10 solution for me...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 11:41:49 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:06:32 PM »

oh you can get a 1tb NAS for $150. of course it wont work consistently. lol

I think I might do the NAS at the folks solution, now that I have run the math.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »

One of the girls I worked with left recently to work for carbonite in an SEO/SEM position. That's about all I know about offsite backups. I do all my own.

Actually aside from the 3/4 terabyte drive full of ripped and pirated (er...borrowed) media, there's really nothing that would take me more than a day or two to have fully back to normal.

Very nice, because I am by no means an organized person and cannot stand bloat. I regularly reformat my machines even though they don't need it, just because of clutter.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 01:50:26 PM »

I regularly reformat my machines even though they don't need it, just because of clutter.

Someone needs to spend more time in the clinch with his sweetie.  Roll Eyes

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »

i reformat about every 3 months. Another reason why I need an idiot proof backup solution.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »

BAH!
Crashplan doesnt work to a NAS over IP. POintless.
Though it would work to a PC, I guess I could just buy the cheepest POS with drivespace and do that.
Oh wait... LOL i have a computer, i forgot. duh. Just need drive space.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 08:35:41 PM »

OK, i just tinkered with crashplan, its got a free trial.

it works basically like GoToMyPc. So you don't need to do anything at all after setting the access key. You can move the storage machine to another house/network and it will phone home to the central server @crashplan, and set up the tunnel. Your work machine then also calls the central server and gets the tunnel, and bam, a p2p VPN of sorts is established directly between your two machines. Like gotomypc, once the connection is established, their server gets out of the loop. 1 time fee for the license, no periodic fees.

if you want to backup remote, you need a computer on the other end (no NAS), running CrashPlan as well. You don't need a license for the target machine. You only need a license for the machines that Send data to backed up.

The plus version does realtime backups and versioning.
It also runs on Mac, linux, win, and beta for Solaris, which tells me they take the product seriously.

So i just ordered a 1TB drive for my little shuttle box, gonna set it up, and put it in my folks house. Finally a real backup... lol

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript