The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 10:59:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oil spill in perspective  (Read 3092 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:35:13 AM »

http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/

wow.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »

Yikes. I almost instantly clicked "Put it Back in the Gulf!"

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:43:02 PM »

well only two years to go, since the end of the ocean has already started.

holy crap that thing takes up all of virginia and half of north carolina.

Guess you can tell your grandchildren of this thing that used to be so
delicious, we called it Seafood.

Grandpa, what is the sea?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 03:44:41 PM by Phaėton » Logged

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »

Maybe it will flow to the philippines, then all the fisherman will go out with buckets and collect it and sell it to a refinery  ROFLMAO
Fuking crazy.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 03:48:38 PM »

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 05:33:29 PM »

The BS is there has been other oil spills far worse and they cleaned them up.
But then again american politicans never need help or advice since they always know it all.

I am always baffled how americans can elect/tolerate such boneheads in power.
The romans only tolerated the silliness of nero for ~10 years before they killed him in a pig pen.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 09:27:37 PM »

The BS is there has been other oil spills far worse and they cleaned them up.
Facts please. Include impact from the anaerobic cloud now hanging and expanding at 3000' deep.
I think you are way off base on this one.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:56:19 PM »

Bottom of the page has a graphic comparing ocean oil spills, but no
information on the clean up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/us_and_canada/10194335.stm

Probably the biggest (gallons or barrels) oil spill for US was the Lakeaview Gusher,
in California’s San Joaquin Valley back in 1910.
It continued spewing huge quantities of oil for 18 months. The version of events accepted by the State of California puts the flow rate near 100,000 barrels a day at times. “It’s the granddaddy of all gushers,” said Pete Gianopulos, an amateur historian in the area.
http://starfishred.multiply.com/journal/item/2915/Where_Gulf_Spill_Might_Place_on_the_Roll_of_Disasters

But that was on land so they just sandbagged around it.

Lots of tankers have spilled oil and you only hear about it for a day or two in the
news cuz the oil disperses out to sea.  The Gulf spill could be the worse environmenal
disaster by oil spilll in history tho cuz it's coming ashore.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:57:50 PM by Bompa » Logged

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:14:23 AM »

Exactly my point Bomps. It's not about gross gallons, it's about net effect. Oh, and cleanupability. The impact of this spill may well be the most profound that we ever seen.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »

No one except BP has any facts or figures, so it is all guess work.
From the start BP lied about how big the oil spill was. For a know oil field you can estimate the production of a well, so therefore they knew how much oil was leaking out.

The type of crude oil could play an important factor. I diverge, but i worked in an oil lab when I was a kid. When you recieve a sample of crude oil, from simple tests like density, 3 point viscosity, and a distillation. From those properties you can tell where the oil came from. People often have the impression that crude oil looks like engine oil or something. I am not sure how many samples of oil I tested Smiley. But I tested oil from the alberta oil fields. I worked with oil from the first oil discoveries in China, i tested the first oil samples from the hibernia oil fields offshore. Some from south america etc. So some crude can be like distillate, which is so light it is almost the same as disel fuel. There are stories of farmers stealing this type of oil and sticking it into thier tractors. To something that is like candle wax, at normal room temperature it is a solid Smiley. To the athabasca tar sands oil which contains a high ammount of asphalt.

Crude oil like any oil can absorb a certain amount of water. In this case BP is making the problem a lot worse to hide it. The are spraying on the oil spill emulsifyer. Basically what emulsifier does is case the oil to disperse with water. The oil is still there, but it is "hidden". Back to my lab experiences. Water trapped in oil is very dangerous in the lab Smiley. When you heat the oil to test it (especially when u are doing a distillation). The oil will all of a sudden release the water. If this happens when the oil is at 100+ C. Well at that point the water instantly turns into a vapour, you have a sudden pressure increase and your lab equipment blows up Smiley.

To stop this from happening. We would add "deemulsifyer" which causes oil and water to seperate. And the spin the oil in high speed centrifuges. Some oil would have very little water. Some oils could contain up to 60% water.

So anyway point is I know a little bit about crude oil.

U.S. and BP slow to accept Dutch expertise http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/steffy/7043272.html
I will use the figures in the above article to make my point. I do not have access obviously to better information.

"Chemicals" per say are not always dangerous. An example of an emulsion is when you eat mayonaise. Basically you are eating an oil water mixture Smiley. The egg yolk in this case allows the oil and water to mix into a stable substance. The egg yolk is the emusifiyer. So nothing magical about it Smiley

In this case we need a safe deemulsifier. So around the well site spray the area with de emulsifier to cause the oil and water to seperate.
From the above article each pair of skimmer ships can process 5 million gallons of water a day. 1 barrel of oil is 40 gallon. Assuming the worst case figures that the well is leaking 100K barrels per day. Since you are spray de emulsifier onto the oil spill. The oil well have a tendency to rise up ontop of the water. So you will be able to collect the oil easier. If they had 10 pairs of those ships, they should be able to collect the oil before it reaches the land. Ofcourse by now it is too late. But if the gov't had thier shit together the problem could have been nipped in the bud. The oil that has been collected ofcourse is perfectly good to be used Smiley.

When oil wells are being drilled. Core samples are taken every so often. If it is an exploration well, there is a geophysicist on site. He is constantly monitoring the type of material is being drilled. If he thinks the material is "interesting" he will order a core sample to be taken. The lab i worked for also analyse drilling cores. When the core is taken, drilling stops until the lab analyse it. No drilling = Big money lost Smiley. So the sample is flew by helicopter to nearest airport. And then it is rushed to the lab. If any oil was recovered I would be the one to test it. The core guys would do their job, and as soon as we had the results the geophysicist/geologist would be notified so he could decide what should be done.

So they have a tremendous amount of information about the type of material of the well etc. From this they can see what is the best way to cap the well. Higher ups never worked with crude oil etc. They often would try and get us to rush the results. Or sometimes they would argue if the results where not what they wanted. Literally some bright spark destroyed an oil well. When a well is being drilled, drilling mud has to be pumped down the hole constantly to maintain circulation. If the water used to make the drilling mud contains sodium or sulfate, or the well contains sodium or sulfate. Both ions by themselves can be maintained as a solution. Oil is not under the ground in big pools. But is contained in rock. The rocks is like a big sponge. Anyway long story short. Some bright VP had the idea to save money they would use a closer water source. Water contained sulfate. Well contained sodium. Well when sodium and sulfate mix, they make a insoluable solid  ROFLMAO The well was ruined because the porosity of the rock was blocked with sodium sulfate crystals  ROFLMAO X million dollars thrown away. I am pretty sure the geologist told the VP it was a stupid idea, tried to explain the why. But of course VP knows best Smiley.

So anyway funny how USA can act very quick when it comes to breaking international law by invading afganistan and iraq. But mean while the Jones act ...
Then again Soviet Union same BS. Chernobyl is a prime example. I am not sure of how safe russian reactors are, but when the guy in charge does exactly what is not supposed to be done, and why surprise surprise it blows up  ROFLMAO I know even from doing joint military exercises, ie americans and canadians "working" together. Some sort of retarded macho thinking takes over. I have seen it countless times. Some canadians get into an accident. Americans have the best helicopters etc for medivac. But no we can't ask them for help, don't want to look bad in front of the americans. Meanwhile some guys lives are in danger. When it comes to chemical warfare, or working in artic conditions Canadian equipment is far superior. Canadian offer to lend the Yanks proper parkas etc. But no the yank commander turns it down. 1/2 of thier guys end up with frost bite. Bunch of fuking 4 years olds all of them Smiley
Bompa
Administrator
Lifer

Where does this show?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »

A week or so ago I heard that 40% of the oil from these spills just evaporates.

Odd, that was not in the news that I read for the first few months of the spill.

Now, I hear that 75% of the oil is gone.

"A new government report says nearly three-quarters of the oil — more than 152 million gallons — has either been collected at the well by BP's cap, burned, skimmed, chemically dispersed, naturally deteriorated, evaporated or dissolved."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100804/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_report

Well, chemically dispersed does not mean gone to me.

I had also heard of some sort of oil-eating microbes that will eat tons of the oil, but
I did not hear of that until lately.  I did not see that news anywhere during the first
few months of the spill.

"because of hydrocarbon degrading organisms, Hydrocarbon Degraders. These microorganisms consume the oil creating CO2 and H2O and more of themselves. Approximately, 50% of the petroleum goes to making biomass that then goes up the food chain. "
http://opinionopolis.com/2010/06/07/who-knew-there-are-micro-organisms-in-our-oceans-that-eat-oil/

So, the news media wants to sensationalize these stoires.  (thank you Captain Obvious, heh)

Quite likely, the US government and BP knew the facts from the start, but if they
acted calmly, they would have been severly criticized.

Bompa

"The most beautiful and profound emotion we can experience is the sensation of the mystical..." - Albert Einstein
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 02:05:13 PM »

bingo. the fact is, most of those regions hit by it are veterans at oil spills. Not that its any less horrible, but frankly, its not like the region doesnt have its chronic oil problems anyway. And yes dispersant just means that it got "changed". Im hoping for giant oil kraken. Maybe like cloverfield. that would be fun.

But could you imagine...

coastal person: "obama! whatchu gonna do bout this here oil spill thats gonna ruin my fishun?"
obama: "nothing. Your used to it".

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 02:11:31 PM »

coastal person: "obama! whatchu gonna do bout this here oil spill thats gonna ruin my fishun?"
obama: "nothing. Your used to it".
Unfortunately, lol.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:22:33 PM »

>Im hoping for giant oil kraken.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Shits gettin all Cloverfield up in dis gulf, yo.  Hopefully we can pass a resolution to bump the 75 mil cap to 80 so we can buy a couple 2.5M tanks to shoot sea monsters with.  Wait, make it 81M so they have enough gas to chase them  ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript