The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 07:28:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: oh SNAP!  (Read 3242 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:52:22 PM »

Proposed for resolution admonishing Joe Wilson:

Whereas on September 9, 2009, during the joint session of Congress convened pursuant to House Concurrent Resolution 179, the President of the United States, speaking at the invitation of the House and Senate, had his remarks interrupted by the Representative from South Carolina, Mr. Wilson; and

Whereas the conduct of the Representative from South Carolina was a breach of decorum and degraded the proceedings of the joint session, to the discredit of the House: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives disapproves of the behavior of the Representative from South Carolina, Mr. Wilson, during the joint session of Congress held on September 9, 2009.

Scathing. /yawn/ I wonder if he'll ever get over it.  Roll Eyes

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:34:41 PM »

over a million bucks raised against him since. heh

fuckit lets switch to a parliamentary system with guns and knives.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:36:16 PM »

problem: over a million bucks raised FOR him since it as well. We are on crazy country boys.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »

really. bah fucking stoopid people.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »

On the plus side, Congress just vote 240/179/5 to pass the bill, officially admonishing him. 12 Dems voted no, 7 Repubs voted yes, which is equally surprising.

Can we please do something meaningful now?

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:46:15 PM »

problem: over a million bucks raised FOR him since it as well. We are on crazy country boys.

Zactly.  Didn't hear about the money raised against him but the million+ support following the incident turned my stomach.  He also said his apology was given at the request of his party.

• Challenging someone's integrity is serious and calling someone a liar ranks at the top
  • Claiming someone's lying when they're not is rarely excusable
  • Knowing someone's not lying while asserting otherwise to a large audience is a huge deal
  • But doing this to appease insurance industry contributors? Don't make me...

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

sorry to bring up an aging post but i just noticed this.

wtf?

whether this republican is a douche or a liar or corrupt or all of the above shouldn't matter. why is this such a big deal and why is he appoligizing and getting admonished?

you guys need to watch canadian parliament. you only need to appologize when you call a woman a whore or use the c word. and our parliament is like womens basketball compared to the brits.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 08:58:27 PM »

fuckit lets switch to a parliamentary system with guns and knives.
Ex-SEC chief: Erap got P2B+ from sale of PLDT shares
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/172385/ex-sec-chief-erap-got-billions-from-pldt-shares-sale

In a nutshell former 7%+ share holder of PLDT (phone company here), did not want to sell his shares.
But then when 10 armed men visited his house, he decided that for health reasons it might be a good idea.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 09:01:21 PM »

wtf?

whether this republican is a douche or a liar or corrupt or all of the above shouldn't matter. why is this such a big deal and why is he appoligizing and getting admonished?

you guys need to watch canadian parliament. you only need to appologize when you call a woman a whore or use the c word. and our parliament is like womens basketball compared to the brits.

Different story if we were Canada or anyone else but were not.  Perhaps in some countries you can say certain things in a court of law and others you can't.  Screaming "Liar!" during these proceedings is a breach of conduct.  What's wrong with calling the Queen a skanky dyke during her poodle's funeral?

You have to acknowledge a situational faux pax as well.  Our culture has a long history of regarding people of color as liars and thieves.  If Hillary had become president, for example, a snarky remark about it being "that time of the month" would also be inappropriate.  But if we were more like Canada or had a parliament with full-contact proceedings this wouldn't even be mentioned, obviously IMO.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:39:35 PM »

actually there are simple rules in Congress that prohibit that sort of thing. It's fine to make all the noise you want at other times, but not when the president's speaking or when someone else has the floor ... pretty standard Roger's Rules. It's not that everyone is up in arms that Wilson said he's lying ... people have been doing that with much more aplomb and volume for the entire summer. It's WHEN he did it. You just don't do it then. He signed a paper saying he understood these rules when he became a house member.

I love the look of parliment ... watch the British parliment everytime I'm across the pond - great stuff. We just work differently.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 06:23:28 AM »

i didn't realize it was a breach of conduct. still doesn't seem like such a big deal though.

You have to acknowledge a situational faux pax as well.  Our culture has a long history of regarding people of color as liars and thieves.  

if you can't call a politician a liar....
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 09:21:31 AM »

if you can't call a politician a liar....

ROFLMAO  Good point.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »

heh ... clear and fair point.

But ITTO's assertion runs a bit deeper IMO: there is a growing racist storm in the country ... clouded by coded wordings and other mechanisms so as to look like something else... but the essence of it is that there are a LOT of people that do not like the notion of our country being run by a black man. It's something we need to watch out for and be ever so cognizant of it's insidious growth and stickiness.

arms
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 01:04:26 PM »

but they are a minority or else he wouldn't have been elected.

i think he has just lost support from non democrats who were hoping for an end to the war or just fed up with the bush admin altogether.

cnn and fox pushing the race issue constantly i think makes it seem worse than it is. i don't watch fox, but when i land on cnn it seems there is a race angle added to everything he or his critics say.

plus, as long as democrats are kept horrified of armed rednecks showing up to town hall meetings* and given hope of healthcare through a long drawn out process that will eventually change very little, they are less concerned with the fact that obama hasn't reversed any of the dictatorial powers the bush admin granted to the president and the federal government as well as the fact the us hasn't ended it's costly occupation of iraq they were so passionately against.

*it is awesome that you guys can do that though - politicians should live in constant fear of a horribly violent death at the hands of their constituents - im serious, i really mean that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 01:16:54 PM »

*it is awesome that you guys can do that though - politicians should live in constant fear of a horribly violent death at the hands of their constituents - im serious, i really mean that.

Yikes!  Give that philosophy a few years and I wonder what kind of mobsters would even be interested in becoming president  Sarcasm  (wait we just got rid of some...)  The carrot is meaningless to the conservative, unless it comes from his own garden.  The stick is all he understands.

Side note: heard a great one regarding conservatives and their push for less government spending: "When it comes to pork and spending in general, conservatives are 'vegetarians,' between meals."

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript