The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 11:03:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: No shortage of Droid X - is that a good thing?  (Read 3458 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:42:15 AM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201180/verizon_says_no_droid_x_shortage_thursday.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

PCWorld is about as fair and balanced as the Apple Insider when it comes to Android promotion over the iPhone.  That said, this FanDroid article unintentionally Onion's itself in the foot.  Proudly asserting that there cannot possibly be a concern for available inventory on launch day is ironically lacking confidence, unless:

• They've got 1.4 million+ in a warehouse
  • They're certain initial sales will be underwhelming
  • They're gambling with an assertion

In any case, If I worked there I'd have a chit-chat with the copy approval process/person  Embarrassed

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »

Tis rather bold, but since it looks like a quote source rather than an official release, they probably have plausible deniability if there's too much interest tomorrow.

Will be *very* interesting to get the real numbers for tomorrow and the weekend. I know many people that are just itching for it ... will be nice to play with one as well.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »

tangentially...

Even Without iPhone, Verizon Is Gaining on AT&T

Note that the page's title tag has a slightly different spin:

With Google as Partner, Verizon May Not Need iPhone

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/15/technology/15verizon.html?pagewanted=1
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 08:24:43 PM »

Hmmmm... I wonder how Google would react to a Verizon iPhone adoption, or if it really even mattered that much.  Android is open source and Verizon is leveraging this to gain competitive advantage.  So I'm guessing adopting the iPhone wouldn't be "necessary" but highly desirable for Verizon since it's probably just a hefty chunk of market share that would switch instantly into their "can you hear me now" world.

I'm just happy not to be involved or financially invested in the rat race, though Android Inventor does seem tempting to explore, combined with some yet less custom coding.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

The only thing stopping iphone is the stupid apple rules and stupid app store.
No need for a "fancy" development evironment etc.
python for iphone does exactly what is needed. http://www.saurik.com/id/5
The rubbish that it would be slow is just pure Jobs propaganda.

There are no serious apps for iphone, the ipaq from 2001 had better apps then iphone.
Again because of retarded Jobs rules.

If HTC, Samsung etc comes out with a 1/2 assed android phone I probably will get rid of my iphone.
Mainly because the player on it sucks, apps can not share data etc.
And no it has fuk all about owning a mac etc, that does not solve the problem of crappy iphone rules.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:26 PM »

There are no serious apps for iphone, the ipaq from 2001 had better apps then iphone.

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Nop you've almost become a cartoon meng.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:31 PM »

@ ITTO: just read a report a couple days ago (but cannot find it) that there is a huge pent up iPhone demand sitting on Verizon's doorstep. Interest in the iPhone still outstrips android competitors ... almost everyday SOMEONE comes up and asks me if the next Verizon rumor is true, because they'd be totally iPhone if it actually happens.

AT&T must be some wicked good 'tang to keep Apple in the fold, because from outside appearances (and from how RFd my phone service often is) there's not a lot of compelling reasons for them to stay...

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:47:20 AM »

Nop you've almost become a cartoon meng.
You spout so much BS it is comical.
Here is an article for you Smiley

How facts backfire
Researchers discover a surprising threat to democracy: our brains
http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/07/11/how_facts_backfire/?page=full
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:02:34 AM »

ROFLMAO well I'll tell you what, old friend.

Since I'm the one using the pad to do serious work with serious apps for very serious people, you can spout your apple-is-crap mantra all you want and it only makes you look like an idiot.

That post was cartoonish because it is so utterly disconnected from reality. Whether you like the pad or not is immaterial: it is not a trivial thing, nor just some toy. What it offers to the savvy connected person is pretty awesome.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 11:44:32 AM »

Guess they ran out after all  Embarrassed

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:02:09 PM »

LOL ... the "It's a hit because it sold out" angle would be a lot better if they could tell us how many were actually sold...

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:35 PM »

ROFLMAO 

[Mooooore than enough logic!!!]

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »

@Perks if the jail breaking issue is not an issue why are you jail breaking your iphone Huh? Huh? Huh?
As I said countless times before I have an iphone, biggest issue is not being able to install the apps i want on it.
And also the issue that it forces you to use the apps apple wants you to use.

Age of Empires and a whole bunch of other game apps where ported over to the windows ce framework.
All of the sims where ported over to windows ce etc.
No huge gaming company will port over to ipad/iphone OS mainly because thier rules make it impossible.

My previous post was about the apple API in response to itto's app development framework.
If you look at the demo it appears to be a copy of QT designer.
It converts the code it makes into JVM code.
Once it is in JVM you can use Java,Jython,ruby for java, or the zillion other scripting languages that target the JVM to script it.

Back to the iphone/ipad. You could make the basic app in python, then there are front ends for python that will retarget to app to windoze,linux etc.
Or you could use the QT approach. QT targets OSX so no reason it could not target iphone/ipad. Ohh there are python bindings to QT also.

Your hypocrisy is comical. I am not a "serious" person/developer. My views differ from your view of reality therefore, I am an "idiot".
It is like your google law suit. When google banned your site for what ever reason it was "wrong".
Meanwhile when apple has a certain more restrictive set of rules, and can ban apps from thier store for what ever reason that is ok.

Again pointing out "facts" is irrelevant. As the poorly written article I posted before points out. The education system is to blame, it does not train people to question facts. Gun Control in canada, majority of people want it, the gov't spent X billion, possible lives saved per year maybe 20. More people probably die in Canada from swimming pool accidents Smiley. War on terror in USA/Canada same story.

I just find it very comical how you can turn any post about apple into a positive one. IPhone recall (i am personally dubious if problem is that bad, if apple had handled it properly not as many people would be pissed off), that is positive since it will teach apple not to be so arrogant Smiley. 1.5 million Iphone 4 sales is amazing, while 1.7 million droid X sales is not important.

You remind me of the "dum-ericans" that live around me. They are the ones who whine all the time about "corruption" etc,unless they are the ones paying off the cops. Meanwhile US banks have laundered 300+ million of cocaine money Smiley. Cool americans are ones that view things more balanced. They are also much more happy Smiley.

I see that apple stock is still continuing its downward slide. Because of the poor way they handled the iphone 4 fiasco, a lot of pissed off people. When you buy stocks you have to buy with a "balanced" view. Generally speaking people have a tendency to under estimate failure if they "support" the program. Or if they are against the program over estimate likely hood of failure. The same holds true with success. Most successful stock traders usually have some sort of aspergers syndrome. Because they are "detached" from thier emotions they decisions are not influenced by emotions which is the problem "normal" human beings have. I am not able to detach my self from my emotions to that degree, so I stick to more stable investments Smiley.

Popcorn
anyway I will just sit back and watch the show. generally speaking I have been wrong about "trends", social networking caught on far more then I ever suspected. Things like python (i was an early adopter of that), I was correct. WMD in iraq 100%, (that it would take public 6 years to figure out wrong Smiley). They will lose war in afganistan 100% correct Smiley. That GWB will get re-elected wrong. So when it comes to "facts" i am usually correct. When it comes to under estimating people's stupidity I am wrong Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

@ Nop: Jeez man. Twist the discussion any way you want to, you were the one that asserted, quite forcefully, that there are no serious apps for the iPad and that it's bettered by computers circa 1981. It's flat out idiotic. You lack understanding about what the iPad means in a very general sense. Manufacturer is immaterial. Guns, public intelligence, your capability to write anything that's been done by Apple, notions on stock etc etc have no bearing on this discussion. "...US banks have laundered 300+ million of cocaine money..." really? You want to debate the validity of a new computing platform from there?  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

There are *very* serious apps for the iPhone and iPad. Overcontrol by Apple has nothing to do with that. People are doing serious work with the pad. Your insistence that it is irrelevant or points to Apple's demise or is, in some way, simple a grand delusion perpetrated by Apple on an unsuspecting and stupid public is wrong, utterly out of touch and makes your opinions look really bad.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »

You missed the point perks. I will try and explain it simply so you understand Wink
First and foremost I dislike "hype". But yet as I will reveal I am a hypocrite and often resort to hype  ROFLMAO

My biggest annoyance of apple fanbois is their constant "hype". Apple store is a brand new idea, no code gear has like 16K+ applications for windows mobile devices etc. You are twisting my words. I did not say that people are not doing "serious work" with iphone/ipad etc. I just get annoyed when for example with the medical industry the illusion is given that iphone applications for medical work are a brand new idea. Sorry there was a company doing the same thing for windows mobile 7+ years ago.

Basically ipad/iphone is a continuation of a mobile computing device. Way back when palm pilot was king, a hand held inventory control device for a supermarket would cost $2.5k. You could pick up a palm pilot for ~$500 (maybe cheaper if u got in bulk), attach a bar code scanner to it ~$75 and then program it so it would do exactly the same thing for ~$600. There was a company doing that. So basically for a fraction of the cost, it would offer small stores/ chains the same ability to control their inventory as safeway, walmart etc. Also the device could be used for other things also.

With iphone or droid like devices. Granted it takes the level of mobile computing 1 step further. For iphone for example no need for a barcode scanner, you could just point the camera at the product and take a picture of the barcode. With wireless etc. The device no longer has to be physically docked. It could update automatically. Also these devices could be used by clerks to see if product is available etc, and guide consumers to the proper shelf.

Where i becomes annoying is articles come out that iphone/ipad has "brand new" ideas. No other mobile device has been used in these fields etc. Everything that apple does is "amazing", and if u critic any part of apple's platform, the self imposed limitation, you are "delusional" etc. Honestly it sounds like almost like GWB spouting his rubbish Smiley

As I said I am a hypocrite, we all are, but I am one of the few honest enough to admit it Smiley. Pretty much anything out there today. Whether it is "global warming", "the war on terror","drinking and driving", "gun control" etc. To get your point across you are forced to use antecedal exaggerated type stories. So where I am the attitude towards drinking and driving is like 1950 USA. I could show statistics of how in Canada/USA there are fewer deaths now that less people drink and drive. No one will pay any attention. Instead I am forced to use an exaggerated story about how a friend of mine who had a promising career ahead of him went to the bar. How he had too many drinks at the bar. Then hoped into his car drunk started drag racing. Ran over a woman and killed her. The next day he was crying because he killed someone. Of course the woman had children and was married (I honestly do not know if this is true, but i use poetic license). I will then ask people. How will this woman's children feel about not having a mother ? How will the woman's husband feel about not having a wife ? How will you feel about knowing that you caused all of this to happen ? I then end the story with, get a designated driver, get a taxi etc.

In the case of drinking and driving fairly innocent Smiley. The housing bubble caused by leaveraging loans, not so innocent. Inside the huge banks /  wallstreet, anyone who spoke out was poo pooed. The result a collapse of the american banking industry, a world recession etc.

Global warming same story. I am all for energy conservation, etc. But the claims of global warming have been exaggerated. The consequences are that when this comes to light, people no longer are taking energy conservation seriously. It is just some "green liberal propaganda".

In the tech industry even if a company is 100% good. Over hype can damage the company. So with novatel the forcast of the company was over optimistic. The company then announced that it's profits where not going to quite as high as expected. The stock dropped 75%, the company lost valuable capital, 1/2 of the company's employees where laid off etc. Several years later novatel has to some degree recovered, but the damage was done.

So anyway that is the danger's of over hype Smiley.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript