The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:15:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newspaper paywalls: I have some good news and some bad news...  (Read 2342 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »

The good news: Some people will pay.

The bad news:  'some' = 35

http://www.observer.com/2010/media/after-three-months-only-35-subscriptions-newsdays-web-site
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:45:27 PM by rcjordan » Logged
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »

Need Help

Yikes, 35  Embarrassed 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »

My only question is HTF do you manage to spend $4 million on a website redesign!?!?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 04:23:04 PM »

Hire Accenture  ROFLMAO  I'll bet it takes 3 mil just to get a gap analysis out of them and following your lawsuit threat they wrap everything up for the remaining 1 mil  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 04:23:29 PM »

i want that client...

I could probably earn 10000/hour on it.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »

This is not off-topic:

McGraw-Hill CEO: "The tablet is going to be just really terrific"

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/26/mcgraw-hill-ceo-the-tablet-is-going-to-be-just-really-terrific/

The ipad ain't gonna save print.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:31 PM »

He kept mispronouncing it as the "Apple Tabloid"  ROFLMAO

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 05:17:21 PM »

>McGraw-Hill

Digital singularity approaches for them, too.  No way in hell textbooks are going to stay $150 a copy. (I know for sure that some private schools are balking at the prices, particularly for high school math books and such which really do not need a new edition every couple of years.)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/12/diy-book-scanner/
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »

update:

A survey by the Pew Foundation's Project For Excellence In Journalism confirms that (news) paywalls are toast.

"In sum, there appears to be only a very small cohort of voracious news consumers who have to have their news from a particular site, even if they have to pay for it. The vast majority of online news consumers, though, seem willing to browse for news from many sites, do not have a favorite online news source, and even if they do, are not willing to pay for that site’s content."

http://www.stateofthemedia.org/2010/press_page.php

<added>
re: "do not have a favorite online news source"

I've not seen any reports address the fact that news consumers may not TRUST a single online news source.  On significant issues and events I seek out 2 or 3 reports to circumvent reporter bias. On US news matters I often read European and Asian papers online to get a non-US perspective.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:03:22 PM by rcjordan » Logged
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

35 Huh? amazing, so there are 35 people that are actually that stupid Huh?

Digital singularity approaches for them, too.  No way in hell textbooks are going to stay $150 a copy. (I know for sure that some private schools are balking at the prices, particularly for high school math books and such which really do not need a new edition every couple of years.)

People actually pay for textbooks ? How silly.
In PH if you take a university course you go down to one of the photocopy centers next to the campus.

To make matters simpler the center has a copy of all the textbooks you need for the course.
You just tell the photocopy guy which book you want copied and for 50 centavos (~$0.02) per double sided page he will duplicate the entire book.

If you pay an extra 50-100 peso (~$1-2) he will nicely bind your photocopied book.

If you are exceptionally lazy, you can just give the photocopy dude a list of all the courses you are in. He will then tell you to come back in 2-3 hours. When you return you will have a whole set of photocopied books. If you use this approach, generally speaking you get a 10-15% discount.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:56:50 AM »

>On US news matters I often read European and Asian papers online to get a non-US perspective.

and Canadian

This one, for instance.  Notice the change in tone & timbre from the usual now being served up here in the States?

U.S. economy is a shambles, with no improvement in sight
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/economy+shambles+with+improvement+sight/2601195/story.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript