The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 11:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice as to server software...  (Read 2439 times)
ratthing
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »

OK.  So a certain geek place I hang out recently locked a thread in their forum that had 10K+ posts (mostly links to photos) and several million page views because their board software couldn't handle it anymore (the IT geek in me suspects db issues and no cacheing of that thread).  BH RT is thinking that this needs to be scraped and monetized.

Any suggestions for a lightweight piece of software that might handle this in a shared hosting environment?  I've got MySQL and Postgres at my disposal, as well as the usual LAMP tools.  I'd like what amounts to a single thread forum, but WordPress ain't gonna cut it, obviously. Do you think SMF might be the way to go?

If I can monetize the fsck out of it, this could be my VPS leverage.  Devilish

Thanks for any advice.
=RT=
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »

If it is truly a one-thread project then I might suggest a dedicated PHP solution with APC caching. Yes, SMF could cut it and you would do some configuration things to make it so that no new threads could be spawned... nobody could edit it... this sort of thing. But you'd have a whale of software on your hands for a pretty limited application. In fact, you'd be using the back-end of SMF to shut down all the features that makes it so great.

No, I'd scrape and wrap it in a custom app. I'm way better than the SMF folks anyway Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
ratthing
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »

Still thinking about it.  I did some further investigation of the whole thing--they are trying to get the user community to help them migrate it all into their wiki...which of course makes it even easier to scrape.  I just don't know if it'd make any cash.  Another follow-on thread was started with the same topic, so clearly it hits a nerve with the geeks.

Thanks for the input.
=RT=

(Sorry for the late response, been mostly off-line for the last month due my dad passing away unexpectedly.  Just now getting back into things, though I'm still not back at home.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript