The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Patents Sudo  (Read 1508 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20091111094923390

ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:46 PM »

Perhaps since everyone hates Microsoft so much this will cause people to actually rethink the notion of the "benefits" of "intellectual property".  The patent system has spiraled into little more than a potential revenue source for monopolistic companies with deep pockets.  This could be just the wake-up call we need.  Monoposoft all of a sudden demanding money from the open source world - money they're rightfully owed I'm sure  Roll Eyes

Although the invention has been described in language specific to structural features and/or methodological steps, it is to be understood that the invention defined in the appended claims is not necessarily limited to the specific features or steps described. Rather, the specific features and steps are disclosed as preferred forms of implementing the claimed invention.

Angry  Time to wake up people!  This time it's personal........ this time, it's Microsoft!!!  Angry

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »

Losers.

They're just tracking on my patent apps for grep, sed and awk. I was thinking of patenting vi as well, but 'sloathe beat me to it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 02:24:01 PM »

i am pretty sure that this was a "protect from evil" patent acquisition. I would be very surprised if they intended to do anything with it. Or at the very least to make sure no one future-sues them for using it themselves.

Could you imagine the hell MS servers would suffer if they actually intended to pursue linux for use of it? They are not dumb. So although it looks absurd on the surface, my bet is "good samaritan"

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 02:37:16 PM »

I was thinking of patenting vi as well, but 'sloathe beat me to it.

ROFLMAO

The perfect storm is when you have deep M$-like pockets and a patent.  What's insidious is that the vast majority of patent infringement settlements occur out of court and out of the public eye.  According to conversations I've had with patent attorneys, most patent infringement issues are quickly resolved by either agreeing to pay a small percentage of the ongoing proceeds to the patent holder or paying a small "license" fee for as long as you use and sell their "invention."  This happens invisibly and looks like paying an electricity bill on the books, or perhaps a more pertinent analogy would be a license fee for MS Developer Studio. 

So, I chose the word insidious.  But this is how I see it.  It's an attempt to invisibly siphon cash from the largest pool of companies possible, for an invention you clearly didn't invent.  Then for such a small fee, companies will gladly avoid the lawsuit - and in exchange they don't have to say: "brought to you in part by Microsoft!"  Of course this is what I've been told about the most common approach to patent enforcement.  M$ could just as easily say; don't use it at all or your company is mine, or also demand credit for their part of the product, and finally set the terms of the fee as high as they want. 

So conceivably Monoposoft could force you to not use it unless you pay extremely high fees for its use - AND make you give them full credit for their contribution.  Or you could just go out of business 

Could you imagine the hell MS servers would suffer if they actually intended to pursue linux for use of it? They are not dumb.

No, they're not dumb.  And no, they'll probably never publicly pursue linux distributors so rest at ease, you'll never have to know about it  Devilish

But try taking Microsoft down and every missile in their warchest will be launched before they allow themselves to be destroyed.  This is definitely one such missile 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript